DATSUN HOTWHEELS (and some other ones)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hobby shop on Sandy in Portland has a very nice diecast section. I imagine they could order anything for you.

Maisto makes a z car that is inexpensive and easy to acquire. would make a good base for some customizing.

Here is one currently available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jada-Toys-Dub-City-Datsun-240Z-Hard-Top-1972-1-24-Blue-or-White-/160950729479?pt=Action_Figures_Diecast_US&hash=item2579693b07

What makes you think differently? It has arrow markers and the wipers arent opposing...

It's Japanese. They all had arrow markers.   ;)

And they are the pointy JDM arrow markers, not the upswept tip USDM arrow markers. 

And it has no rear markers.

And it has a '71-72 SSS grill. 

And it has the bigger '70-73 front turn signals. 

I forgot about all markers being arrow over there, but Im still unconvinced. 

Grille looks like a normal straight grille to me and I cant even see how you can tell a difference in the turn signals. Looking under the hood, it also has a square top radiator where 70s had dome tops. 

I forgot about all markers being arrow over there, but Im still unconvinced. 

Grille looks like a normal straight grille to me

Has the raised center like a later SSS (although not very well rendered). Either way, a '69 wouldn't have a grill that looked like this. 

and I cant even see how you can tell a difference in the turn signals. 

I'm just that good.  B)

The difference is size is clearly noticeable to me. 

Looking under the hood, it also has a square top radiator where 70s had dome tops. 

Okay, now you're talking crazy.  :rofl:

It's a model. I don't expect it to have a correctly rendered radiator. And having owned every year of 510 many times over, never seen a "flat top" radiator in any of them, but I suppose it could be a thing. 40 years later who knows what's original and what isn't any more...

Also, craploads of aftermarket stuff in that engine bay. Don't hang your hat on a radiator. Heck, could be a Skyline radiator. Especially since the upper hose is on the wrong side. And the battery is on the wrong side. 

Can we at least agree it's not a '68?   :P

It's a model. I don't expect it to have a correctly rendered radiator. And having owned every year of 510 many times over, never seen a "flat top" radiator in any of them, but I suppose it could be a thing. 40 years later who knows what's original and what isn't any more...

Flat top:

8075780338_408644405c_z.jpg

Round top:

1973_Datsun_510_Sedan_Orange_Engine_1.jp

Not inclined to believe that radiator is OEM. But I could be wrong.  ^_^

Googled pics of engine bays for 1968 and 1969 models, looked at about 100, and all had the curved top radiator...

Weird because Ive seen this radiator in another 69... interesting. You may have me beat this time John. To Google!

Edit: Ok, well I conceed the point. Looks like you are correct about radiators. I owe you a beer when Im in Ft. Worth in a couple months.