Wife says "You're on Car Restriction!"

The trouble with a storage unit is... they get warehoused and... pretty much a forgotten possession.

Not always true... my truck has spent 4 years or so in storage units till I had the resources to work on it...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could just sell one or 2 you don't see yourself realistically ever finishing or being interested in at all and then use the money to finish the others and then everyone is happy you have finished or closer to finished Datsun's and your won't have to complain because you have fewer cars, plus then you can recruit some more Ratsun members. biggrin.gif

You sound just like me Hitch. I have 4 Daily drivers and 2 project cars. My wife hates them pretty much. She's knows how much i like them, but i have been resticted since i bought the last one. It's OK with me, i want more, but honestly i'm not finishing the ones i got. So know if i want something else, i must sell/trade one off. It keeps me focused on the plans i have. It is really hard to pass up those deals. Maybe me, you and Matt need to split the rent on a Ratsun garage! We all live pretty close!

My Dad has an electric guitar habit, and was in a similar situation.

His solution was to promise my mom that anytime he'd use money for a new guitar or parts for one, he'd give the same amount for her to use on her hobbies.

It's worked out perfect. They're both happy, and my mom has never questioned another one of my dad's guitar purchases.

cool.gif That would be wicked!

BTW, Charlie we still need to get together and get the floor pan in your 620 welded up!

Tomorrow is good, i have been busy most weekends lately but no plans this week. Or sunday early if you like. I bet you have to work!

Tomorrow is good, i have been busy most weekends lately but no plans this week. Or sunday early if you like. I bet you have to work!

Too bad the weathers gonna be like shit today! And I'm pretty sure I'm working on sunday dry.gif Need a new job. lol

I'll have to PM you about this in a bit. I really wanna get that floor welded up!

yeah i have had this problem! my first wife said if i bought this one car she was gonna leave me! i said leave i don't want no woman that's gonna leave me over a goddamn car anyways! guess thats why we aint married to her nomore! :D right now tho i have just to many rigs so i'm cutting down to just 6rigs! i will have 5 at my house and one in my storage shed which i pay 82 bucks a month for. beleive me it was hard to come to the decision on what to get rid of and what to keep on a few of em. its easy to get a project rig so maybe just get rid of couple and get the new one if you want it more than one of the others.

• Like 1

My Dad has an electric guitar habit, and was in a similar situation.

His solution was to promise my mom that anytime he'd use money for a new guitar or parts for one, he'd give the same amount for her to use on her hobbies.

It's worked out perfect. They're both happy, and my mom has never questioned another one of my dad's guitar purchases.

This is also what I did and it's working for me too

• 2 weeks later...

I always tell friends in this same situation (10 cars, none of them run, and just saw another X car that he needs right now) to come up with a realistic plan for each car, not only for the wife and family, but also for themselves. Schedule, budget, overall goal of the car, and estimated time frame of when the goal will be reached. If a plan can't be created, then it's probably time to let it go. If it's obvious that the plan isn't realistic, it may be time to let it go. You may realize that you don't need that X car after all, and would rather focus on getting something you already have up and running, and looking good. My friends who hoard project cars never seem to have any that they can drive, and the more they accumulate, the less chances one will run, which ends up cluttering the backyard (or front yard, which never looks good to neighbors!)and inevitably pissing off the better half.

time to start condensing! keep the projects you need, make it work...lots of datsuns around, fewer women that will put up with more than one unfinished car in the driveway. The trick is to do what my dad did...pour an extra concrete slab next to the two car driveway, that way you can have one car in the garage, one "outdoor project" on the slab, and the daily driver projects in the driveway. The yard is only to be used in emergencies or when shooting primer or undercoat...cinder blocks and milk crates are a no-no.

I would suggest keeping your kids car, your main project or two, sell one or more cars to make her happy, and make sure every major car part you buy, you spend $20+ on flowers, her car, or something else for her that she will enjoy. Most women do not understand spending money on cars, even if it is just to keep a daily driver "drivable", or to fix one up enough to sell it and get it out of your hair.

I've decided to let the 620 definately, and possibly the 210 woody wagon go. Clean out the work stuff and datsun parts from the other garage bay. That way I can park the new "undisclosed" car inside along with her car. If I get the dolly rollers, I could turn two sideways and get three cars inside. Rent a storage unit for the 510 till I have the time to work on it. Store all of my spare Datsun parts in the storage unit. That way, two cars inside, two outside. My drive is three cars wide, and long enough to park 4 cars end to end without hanging in the street. Plus I have a parking pad that holds two cars. Then, bought tickets for CMA fest in Nashville, booked 5 nights in downtown Nashville hotel to show proof of my love. Plan to keep her rocking to the music and lots of cold adult beverage to keep her happy!

Stop hoarding all the Datsuns! Save some for the rest of us and your problem is gone :lol:

You have no room to talk. I think you jump at everyone you get the chance also! I have just been in the right place at the rit time the last couple of years.

You have no room to talk. I think you jump at everyone you get the chance also! I have just been in the right place at the rit time the last couple of years.

Yes but I have a place to keep them. :lol: I was trying to help solve your problem with your wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I will just give up(sell) one of the proyects and try to finish up the other two. Then u can let the wife drive one of them so she can migth put some interest in cars :)

No worries, one of his projects will be leaving very shortly :)

• 2 months later...