521 window removal

banzai510(hainz)

I believe my window reg is bad where the handle gear is worn and slips where it meshes with the gears.

I have Called the local Gurus that drive 521s.Nobody has changed a window

I cant figure How to get it out. I just the Haynes Man. it say to remove a certain number of screw witch is the wrong number and to remove or loosen the door handle escrotcheon screw(what ever that is).

I got Tedsnuber Tdajj) and will call him soon, He has a reg but it out of the door already. Was hoping for a beat whole door so I can learn how to take out instead of doing my doodr first in case of a fuck up.

Instructions list door with 1 pc window &

list a door with Ventilator( side wing window)

Im stumped! Datzenmike, datsunaholic,ggzilla anybody?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the door panel off you will see the bolts that hold the regulator & assembly in place.

You "may" have to remove the window from the bottom of the assembly & take it out 1st.

You also "may" have to remove the window felt to get the regulator out through the window opening [top of door].

Thats how i did it in my 620..window out 1st...then unbolt regulator & remove.

Just do this. All this.

Door dissassembly:

Remove the window handle, and the door handle. Phillips screws in the center.

Remove the upholstery cover. Gently pry around the clips near the edges of the panel

Remove the plastic covering the holes in the door. just glued on.

Remove three screws around door catch on rear edge of door.

Remove two screws holding door release handle mount (above window regulator)

Remove two screws holding bell crank near bottom back edge of door.

Remove door lock plunger knob.

Remove clip holding lock linkage onto door lock cylinder.

Remove door lock linkage mechanism out through inspection hole in door.

Remove the window down stop. Two Phillips screws.

Remove the roller on the window regulator from the channel on the bottom of the glass.

You may have to remove the four screws that hold the regulator to the door.

Leave the window regulator and glass in the bottom of the door.

The service manual recommends putting a piece of string around the bottom of the window to pull it up later.

Remove the four small screws on the top of the door frame front edge.

Carefully pry the weather strip up out of the window opening inside and outside edges

Remove two bolts that hold front window guide. One is in a hole in upper part of inner door panel.

Pull wing window, and front window guide assembly to the rear at the top, and slide it out of door.

Pull window regulator out of inspection hole in inner door.

Pull glass out of door.

Hainz , do you really need to take the glass out?

I have changed the 521 regulator before and I don't remember having to remove the glass from the door.

I noticed the 510's tend to have the same problems. The pivot point area on the regulators get worn and sloppy. They'll start to bind when cranking the window up.

hhmm.....been quite awhile since I've taken one out, but I didn't take the glass out. DanielC has all the info, plus some. If you tape the window in place at the top, I think you can pull the phillips screws holding the regulator. With them out, you can slide the end of the regulator arm...I think it has a wheel in a channel???......so that it comes free of the window....then snake it out the hole in the door. When you put the new one in, you'll have to turn the window crank to get the arm to the right position to put back in. Geez...you'd think I'd remember it better....I've only done it like a dozen times over the years!!!

hhmm....maybe it won't come out without removing it? In fig BF-46, the screw just to the left of the triangular hole on the right side of the pic.....that holds the window channel which has the regulator trapped between it and the door skin. I think if you remove that you can work the regulator past the bottom of the channel. Geez.....makes me want to go pull one of the doors out of my shed and try it! :)

As I recall you don't need to remove the glass, roll the window all the way up and duct tape it up, remove the three screws that hold the regulator itself, remove the lower screw holding the bottom of the front window channel and loosen the upper screw, then pry the lower channel away from the inside door face towards the outside and squeese the regulator between and then out like in the photo on one of the previous posts.

Pumpkin210 came over with the Part from Ted.

2 people is Ezer as I hed the window up and Pumpkin removed the 4 bolts to the regulator. Then he loosen the bottom guide bolt. That wasnt engh to slide it behind the center window guid that goes down to the bottom. So he loosedn the top phillips srew then while pulling the sheet metal and pusing the guide it slipped thru.

Got it hoooked up to only find out it goes up only 3/4 way.

It was a pass side part as its is laboled LH. so I got to wait for the correct part.

Thanks to Ted Pumpkin and DanC and Mklotz and other for responding back fast and 521 gatherer. for also PM me.

Pc of cake now with 2 people. window dont need to be removed.

I just went thru the same thing i swapped doors for less rusty ones and had my girl out helping cos my big hands don't fit in the little access holes! Lubed up everything and got new felts theyre like new! It was hell tho!

I went into a local hotrod shop and they just so happened to have stuff that worked. Got enough to do both doors for 28 bucks otd. So amazing! I'll look when I get home to see if I can find a manufacturer or part number. Thanks again daniel for help on my post awhile back on how to get the window out!