Dual Su's on a A15

CWhip

I never did a thread in them or anything but I posted on the first couple pages of the R1 Carbs thread in this section. The intake was made out of left over tubing from my sandrail frame. I cut small wedge shaped pieces, beveled the edges and welded everything together then ground it smooth. The original couplers were radiator hose but after a couple years they shrunk up and I replaced them with gas filler hose. It's a tight fit in my 1200 so I would imagine not much more room in a b210 or 210. There are a couple different types of these carbs too; some are meant to be mounted horizontally and some are meant to be mounted at an upward angle. They are identifiable by the angle of the float bowl. Mine are the horizontal type and I think that the angled type might fit better (like the ones in the pics at the end of post#1 in the R1 thread). You could probably have a straighter intake runner instead of the "S" shaped ones on mine.

Don't get me wrong -- they run great but I think the fit would be better with the angled carbs. Between the low hood and the brake master it's really tight. Hope that helps.

thanks, i was wondering mostly about the jetting, but i got my answer from that thread, from a "random box of jets" :P seems like a reasonable alternative

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I was told that they were from an '03 Katana (eBay) but are supposed to be the same as earlier GSXRs. The GSXR went FI a couple years before the Katana. I'm sure the jetting is different to start with but it doesn't really matter because that gets changed anyway.

Weber DGV's actually offer more volume than dual SUs/Hitachis. If you think about it on the sense that you have 4 ports breating through a common plenum as opposed to 4 ports breathing through 2 separate plenums it makes more sense.

The only downside to A series intake manifolds is that they don't have enough plenum. I actually machined half the plenum out of my A12 manifold. Then using one of those 240Z DGV conversion manifolds, I machined it to accept the A12 maniflod and welded them together thereby doubling my plenum area. It runs so efficiently that it actually pulls the secondary open almost by itself in the higher RPM range.

I've got an A15 with an A14 head and the GX intake and on it I've got a pair of British HIF4 SU's.

This is all in my MG Midget.

BillM has a lot of good Datsun stuff, and is a real knowledgeable guy who is a pleasure to deal with BTW.

IMGP9429-1.JPG

I've got an A15 with an A14 head and the GX intake and on it I've got a pair of British HIF4 SU's.

This is all in my MG Midget.

BillM has a lot of good Datsun stuff, and is a real knowledgeable guy who is a pleasure to deal with BTW.

Imgp8814.jpg

Nice. I like the whole "using Jap parts in Brit cars" concept. Kind of funny since Datsun started by making Austins under license from the Brits.

The first Datsun was the Type 10 of 1932.

The first Austin made by Nissan was 1953.

Here is the factory Datsun twin-carb A14 manifold. It is the only one with A14 port size on the engine side, and with 4-bolts for each carburetor, so 4-bolt british SUs fit perfectly.

13406.jpg

does anyone have a set for the a14 head ? the manifold and the carbs ??bc i am building a high rpm high compression motor thats going to rev at like 8500 and i need a set up with intake and carb that can handle that kind of use let me know what you have and prices pleasee! thanks