Dual Su's on a A15

CWhip

Just wondering if it's been done before? Pics? I've got a couple laying around the garage and would like to fit them up. Suggestions, good idea or bad? I've looked into the Weber 32/36 DGEV Carburetor but since I've got these already I'd like to do something with them. The motor is completely stock and I'm looking for a little bit more out of it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MetalMonkey, I've been all over the place with the search, dual carbs, dual SU's, a15, etc. Seen them on plenty of L series just not on the A.

Here's some Hitachis that are similar to the SU's (According to Datsun1200)

776.jpg

How'd this post get me neg repped? unsure.gif

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • Like 2

Thats an interesting swap wayno.

How did it run with the SU's? And what did you do for a manifold?

Hey there metalmonkey47, I guess I don't know what they are, if they look like the photo below, they are SUs to me. The engine ran great till the kid came around the corner and hit me head on, I pulled the frontend back out but was unable to find a grill and some other parts, so I sold it, big mistake, it took years to find the parts to replace that drive train. I have a couple complete(manifold & carbs & linkage) A series dual sidedraft setups like the photo below. I am looking for an Another A15 block for my next 320 project. What do you mean, what did I use for a manifold? wayno

776.jpg

Hey there metalmonkey47, I guess I don't know what they are, if they look like the photo below, they are SUs to me. The engine ran great till the kid came around the corner and hit me head on, I pulled the frontend back out but was unable to find a grill and some other parts, so I sold it, big mistake, it took years to find the parts to replace that drive train. I have a couple complete(manifold & carbs & linkage) A series dual sidedraft setups like the photo below. I am looking for an Another A15 block for my next 320 project. What do you mean, what did I use for a manifold? wayno

776.jpg

I think I phrased it wrong blink.gif I meant, your setup on your A series with the side drafts. Was it the stock SSS setup, or an aftermarket setup with different manifolds to the carbs? Your sure look like SU's, I just pulled pictures from the Datsun 1200 wiki

I think I phrased it wrong blink.gif I meant, your setup on your A series with the side drafts. Was it the stock SSS setup, or an aftermarket setup with different manifolds to the carbs? Your sure look like SU's, I just pulled pictures from the Datsun 1200 wiki

As far as I know I had the stock SSS manifold on that truck, it looks the same as the other ones I have, but none of them have a nissan mark on them.

all datsun manufactured twin carbs are made by hitachi, the su name comes from the british carb they were copied from. for A engines they came stock equipped with gx 1200s and i think jdm first gen cherries and jdm b210 gx.

^^What he said^^ They were never available on USDM cars. Not easy to find in the US and rarely inexpensive. I would imagine they run just fine. Lots of good info here:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Choosing_A_Carburetor

There's always the motorcycle carb option. I had less than $100 invested in mine and they run great.

005-4.jpg

Just wondering if it's been done before? Pics? I've got a couple laying around the garage and would like to fit them up. Suggestions, good idea or bad? I've looked into the Weber 32/36 DGEV Carburetor but since I've got these already I'd like to do something with them. The motor is completely stock and I'm looking for a little bit more out of it.

My L320 pickup, with the A15 block, stock cam, and dual SUs had some zip to it, it would go faster than I wanted to as the truck was a little loose on the freeway. Fact is, that truck was faster than my 521 with the L16 in it, no question about it. I was also running 437 gears in the L320. I'll also tell you this, that engine would rev, it screamed!!!! If I would have put a cam in it, it would of went even faster.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I need to start looking around for a SSS manifold.

Wayno, would you be willing to sell one of the manifolds you have?

Actually, you're looking for a GX manifold. SSS manifold isn't helping you unless you have an L-series. ;)

FWIW, If you just want the manifold and not carbs, I have a spare.

I have a complete A15 engine ready to go for $150 as well as a fully machined A15 block with machined crank for $100 (combined) here in the Seattle area.

Bill

776.jpg

i really like that set up you have, driven. do you have a topic discussing it? id like to read more about it

I never did a thread in them or anything but I posted on the first couple pages of the R1 Carbs thread in this section. The intake was made out of left over tubing from my sandrail frame. I cut small wedge shaped pieces, beveled the edges and welded everything together then ground it smooth. The original couplers were radiator hose but after a couple years they shrunk up and I replaced them with gas filler hose. It's a tight fit in my 1200 so I would imagine not much more room in a b210 or 210. There are a couple different types of these carbs too; some are meant to be mounted horizontally and some are meant to be mounted at an upward angle. They are identifiable by the angle of the float bowl. Mine are the horizontal type and I think that the angled type might fit better (like the ones in the pics at the end of post#1 in the R1 thread). You could probably have a straighter intake runner instead of the "S" shaped ones on mine.

DSC00789.jpg

Don't get me wrong -- they run great but I think the fit would be better with the angled carbs. Between the low hood and the brake master it's really tight. Hope that helps.