Bought my first datsun, 620

So, I've owned 3 2wd toyotas, 85, 86, and 89. I have loved them all, but for some reason or another I had to get rid of them all. The last one I drove until the #4 rod bearing about blew up. I didn't have cash to rebuild it, the bank wouldn't give me a loan for rebuild parts. They did give me money to buy a 2008 Frontier used. I kept the 89 toyota and traded it to my neighbor for a pop up camper, provided I rebuild the toyota motor and give it to him running. In the last month or so I've decided to get rid of my frontier to cut down on my expenses. I have to keep a nice vehicle for my wifey and my kids, so I got rid of my rogue for an 05 pathfinder that can also pull my camper. I've been trying to sell my frontier and find an older nissan/datsun or toyota. Friday I sold my frontier, and I have been in touch with a guy with a 74 620 with 60k original miles. I rented a car trailer sunday morning and drove to virginia from where I live in PA. The trailer had to be back by 4pm and I cut it close by being there at 3:58. I wanted to originally drop the 620 off at my house and then return the trailer, but I figured, it's about 10 miles to my house from the uhaul place, I'll get the trailer back on time and drive my new diamond in the rough. I got pulled over a mile from my house. I got slammed with driving w/o registration, driving w/o insurance, and a 200 dollar impound/tow fee. Ironically enough, my address is 850 range end road, the tow company is 425 range end road. Close? yeah. Now, what a day, I love my new truck, but I don't have it right now. To put a skew on the whole issue, obviously I couldn't get a title transfer on a sunday, and I was planning on getting insurance as soon as I got home, as I did not have the VIN. The seller I bought the vehicle from still had a valid reg and insurance, however, he did take the plates off before I transported it. Should I fight these 2 tickets?

Josh

I will post pics as soon as I get this thing home

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it registered and insured before your court date, show prove of reg and insurance and they should dismiss the charges or at least reduce the fine.

Never plead guilty, it gives no room to negotiate the fees and You can change from not guilty to a guilty plea, but not the other way around.

Does your state allow a bill of sale as a temporary registration? And a letter form your insurance should tell them it was covered as a new to you vehicle on the date you took possession of the truck.

If the vehicle was registered and insured he should have written you a "no proof of ins. and reg." If it all you were missing was the plates you're good. Get copies of his stuff to prove the tickets false. Fixing it after the fact goes only so far but if you were legal like you say take those documents and you are off scott free.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the truck back the next day. Had it registered and insured. Took it to work and state inspected it. Since then have just been fixing little stuff like the idle and stuff. Driving it daily. I did plead not guilty, we will see when the court date will be.

• 5 months later...

soo... thats my story. Had the truck 6 months now, love it!!! Gotta post pics soon. It's a cool truck, original orange, previous owner put cragar wheels on with 225's up front and 245's in the rear. Looks like a mean lil truck. Previous owner replaced master cylinder, ignition system, cleaned and treated/coated inside and outside of fuel tank, other misc items. When I received it, the idle was way too high and it was missing on cyl 3. Choke was bad, so I disable it and #3 plug was bad. Fixed. Developed a coolant leak at the heater control valve, replaced. That spawned a leaky water pump. Bought a new water pump and before I put it on, I was idling the truck to jump my lawn tractor, whalaa, it spun a bearing. So, I have been thinking of upgrading the powertrain at some point, well this is that time I believe. My buddy has a 67 roadster in my garage he bought a 350 for but decided not to go that route. We are going to rebuild the l18 and put it in his roadster. I am hoping to score an early 90's truck with a rotted body for cheap and swap out whatever I can. KA here I come!!! So, in turn this will become a build thread. I'm not sure how long it will take, but it will also entail some of my buddies 67 roadster. I just pulled the motor last night and my buddy got an engine stand today to start on the motor. Next I will be seperating the body and frame for a little rust repair and undercoating. O yeah, I got off on the insurance ticket if I pleaded guilty to the registration violation, I was cool with that. Till next time, go ratsun

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I will figure out how to post a pic another night. All my pics are on my hard drive and not at a url so, until i figure that out, no pics. So the motor is out and torn down. Turns out the flywheel bolts came loose. Fits the description, noise from lower end in rear. Bearings are all good. After some thinking, I don't have the funds to do the project I want to do and since everything is good with the motor, I will put it back in. However, while it is out I am fixing the rotted out floorpans, rear cab mounts, and battery tray. O my, let me tell you, welding is not simple if you have never really done it before. My welds hold fine, however, they look like poo. Anyhoo, driver's floor pan is almost done, just have to finish welding the new one in, its about 80% done. As soon as I figure out the pic post thing, I will put up pics. I do drive 2 hondas however. I picked up a 2000 civic with 263K from work for 200 bucks and I also have a 2011 honda ruckus 50cc scooter to save gas. However, those are by necessity, not choice. Well, I did choose the scooter, nissan doesn't make one, and its really cool.

• 2 months later...