New '72 Datsun 510 Wagon Owner

Dragoon

Hey guys (and gals?),

Just picked up my first Datsun ever today, a 1972 Datsun 510 Wagon. Found her sitting in a junkyard, surprisingly in running condition. Still needs a decent amount of bodywork to take out dents here and there, very little surface rust and definitely nothing corroding though. Engine barely started when I first checked it out, but now she won't turn over. Never worked with carbureted engines before. Interior was all there, missing a couple of door handles and typical cracked dash and center console.

Here's a picture of her on the flatbed.

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

Hoping to learn a lot from you guys here.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like everyone else- I can't believe someone took that to a junkyard! Really glad you could rescue it. Great color too. Have not seen many in the darker blue. Good luck. If it ran there's tons of potential to get it to run again. It is a Datsun after all :D

Yeah, that is the one in Craigslist the other day! Glad you saved her!! Come on down to the Thursday Night meeting, tonight! And start networking in the Datsun 510 Community!

Meets are in front of the CVS Pharmacy on Sweetwater Road in National City.

Thanks Guys,

Finally had a day off to thoroughly examine the goon. Haven't done much more than throw a car cover on it until today. Spent the morning cleaning out as much of the leaves and whatever junk that has been collecting in the wagon for the last couple of years. The body is going to need a decent amount of work to get of the dents out or covered up. Only a couple of worrisome rust spots but the rest of the car is surprisingly clear of rust. The goon does look like it has been painted at one point, as some of the scratches reveal a deeper layer of paint. The last owner was in the process of restoring because it seems the door panels are vinyl instead of the gross marbled blue cloth that lines the rear wagon panels, and there's a box of older trim for the side markers and an extra bonnet trim. The engine is an L20B which I didn't notice when I bought it.

The bad thus far is that the body, to my standards, will need work; one of the hood hinges has broken; the engine is not turning over, but at least cranks. All the window seals look pretty bad too.

I'm going to focus on the engine first, then the suspension, brake, engine swap and then repair the body.

If you guys have any advice, I would love to hear some input. I don't really know what I got myself into but I'm hoping to use this as a learning experience.

My opinion is get it running and reliable first, then work on the body. When my project cars don't run I loose motivation to work on them fast. I think a lot of us are that way judging by all the unfinished projects that end up for sale. Plus I think datsuns look kinda cool with some "patina", just throw some nice wheels on it and call it good till she's running reliably.

THis could be simple,

However find out of you have spark out of the coil wire. take wire place near the chassis and while you are turning the key to start you should see sparks jumping.

But really I would maybedrain the gas.

ck the fluids

antirfreeze 50/50 mix to preserve the front cover.adjust the valve lash.

new battery

pour some gas(small amount) in the car then start and see if it catches

Running how long? maybe alternator bad? Dont turn over? engine turns over with starter?

what. give better specifics of exactly whats it doing. could be batter cables. corrosion

olddatsuns.com

get a datsun (ratsun guy to help you that lives near by) but dont be hacking up stuff or playing electrical genuis