fng

Uncle Laulau

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude the mirror is Japanese 510ish don't you think. Ha I am out to make a silly truck more silly. Wait till you see the off road light I'm planning on putting on my bumper, the headlight shades and wire guards, and the yellow high beams. I'm crazy weeeee

It's your truck. Do what you want with it.

Oh that makes it go faster? Sounds good and I will buy one, do you have one to sell? That is how little I know about the cars, don't vomit please.

I wouldn't say it makes you go faster; But I would say it's a bit more reliable, especially if you plan on doing any "spirited" driving.

Lose the points distributor. Distributor from a '79 720 pickup w/L20B and a MSD coil. Little bit of wiring-good to go.

I got my dizzy from rockauto.com for like 50 bucks. Dizzy from Baxter's or any parts house for around 45.

There are 2 good el dizzy write-ups in the how to section.

Don't do too much to your truck til you get a lot of understanding down. I'd hate to see this thing go to waste due to ignorance or neglect.

Being in Vancouver, WA you have SOOOOO many people around you that can help with this truck. Just get to know who they are.

Read and learn alot. Ask informative questions. And don't be afraid to ask for help. Really.

Good luck, and enjoy.

man Im going crazy trying to figure it out. I emailed the seller, no answer and I cant see the dang markings. I'm going to look again right now and it's dark and raining ahhh

I cant see nothing but nissan japan ahhhh on the passenger side. I got on the ground the other day and saw a huge list of letters and numbers under nissan japan. Can you tell from my pictures? Man I am not a car guy, getting dirty on the ground looking for stupid numbers, yuck. I do love to drive the peace of poo!

I cant see nothing but nissan japan ahhhh on the passenger side. I got on the ground the other day and saw a huge list of letters and numbers under nissan japan. Can you tell from my pictures? Man I am not a car guy, getting dirty on the ground looking for stupid numbers, yuck. I do love to drive the peace of poo!

Get off the ground. Open hood. Look above 4th spark plug. There will be a 1 1/2" by 2" square "plate". Right below the cylinder head. That is where you will see the L16, L18, L20B.

We can't tell from the pics. L16 and L18 look identical. L20B looks the same, but has some minor differences.

Get used to getting dirty. Thing ain't gonna fix it's self.

Get off the ground. Open hood. Look above 4th spark plug. There will be a 1 1/2" by 2" square "plate". Right below the cylinder head. That is where you will see the L16, L18, L20B.

We can't tell from the pics. L16 and L18 look identical. L20B looks the same, but has some minor differences.

Get used to getting dirty. Thing ain't gonna fix it's self.

Amen. You just bought a 40 year old truck no mechanic will want to touch it so get ready to get real intimate with it. You will quite likely get to eat some of that crud on the bottom of the thing someday. If the motor is so dirty the engine number is unreadable go get some degreaser and clean the poor thing so you can read the stamp. It's always a good place to start any way. Hope you find it keep us posted

I can take a look at it if your close, PM me if you can't figure it out, or reply to this post and I will PM you. wayno

wow I had to use paper and a pencil to shade the number to my paper....I got L8 with something that looked like an A or some symbol proceeding it L8 and a A87 head tranny had 7721740 on the top of the housing? I'll look it up. Man that was a pain. Wait till I drop a sweet EI in it whaaaaat!

wow I had to use paper and a pencil to shade the number to my paper....I got L8 with something that looked like an A or some symbol proceeding it L8 and a A87 head tranny had 7721740 on the top of the housing? I'll look it up. Man that was a pain. Wait till I drop a sweet EI in it whaaaaat!

I read it wrong yikes! This is the hardest thing I've done all day.

Ok L18 I'm 99 percent sure.

IMG_9231.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9235.jpg

Woweee wow. Ok it's done I know what kind of engine I've got. L18, now I need to adjust the timing. May have a tiny radiator hose leak and I'm burning alittle oil. Thanks for all the help guys, good land marks and nice to offer to look for me. Golly you guys are swell!

Dont do like I did and run the trans out of oil.

Ck it.

these a square plug on the driver side. put finger in it and feel for oil. if you cant fill it till it come out of hole and recap.

olddatsuns.com has all what you need to know. Start reading.

These are simple rigs to keep running.

If in doubt stop and ask on forum. dont be a mechanical or eletrical genuis and start reworking things.

Dont do like I did and run the trans out of oil.

Ck it.

these a square plug on the driver side. put finger in it and feel for oil. if you cant fill it till it come out of hole and recap.

olddatsuns.com has all what you need to know. Start reading.

These are simple rigs to keep running.

If in doubt stop and ask on forum. dont be a mechanical or eletrical genuis and start reworking things.

Thanks I'll check the tranny oil asap. My clutch feels slippy when I step off the line hard. This may be the first major repair. I'm gonna mess with the timing tonight, see if I can loose the pinging.

Having an L18 in it, it is definitely not stock.

And having the A87 head MIGHT be a good thing. Might be a peanut.

I can't help ya on tranny ID, but you said it's a 5spd. So you're fairly golden.

There is a chance that you already have the El Dizzy.

I saw a resistor on the firewall, so who knows.

Either open it up and see if you have points or a rotor.

You've got one hell of a truck. Keep in nice.

Never just dive in on any work. Research, research, research...And if you're still scratching your head, ask.

I saw that Wayno said he'd come over and check it out for ya. From what I've read of his work, you'll be in good hands.

He knows his way around a Datsun.

But really...Great ride. Congrats.

She looks good. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Oh my word, thanks and more thanks goes out to Wayno! Wayno came over after a perfect game of golf and started my truck right up. First he drained my gas tank, found water in it! Then got my wiring mess taken care of and put back in the points distributor and got it running!

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

Wayno you rock!

I had no idea she was taking photos. :ph34r:

It wasn't running perfect, but it was running.

I kept pouring fuel down the carb while the fuel pump was pumping fuel(water actually)out, I tried to light that liquid, but it wouldn't light, so more purging the line till it would light on fire, then we finally got it started on it's own fuel supply.

You need to get a alt. ajustment bracket that works guy, or one of these days your are going to find yourself scratching your head wondering where the belt went, while your engine is blowing all the water out from being overheated.

• 2 weeks later...