Wah? Dual points????

Roger

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to get the rebuild kits from, i heard about it before. Keep searching, you may find something. Datzenmike might know, check out 510realm, and dime quarterly also for some info on them.

The dual points is a joke really, the second set of points don't work unless the primary fails.

The dual points is a joke really, the second set of points don't work unless the primary fails.

No, not really. When the primary set fails you pretty much are dead in the water. The secondaries only operate under a specific set of circumstances, with a bunch of switches needing to be "closed" before they kick in. The switches vary by year and model, but usually consist of a throttle switch, clutch switch, transmission switch, and temperature switch. So it has to be warmed up, in a particular gear, with the clutch engaged (pedal "up"), and not with the throttle to the floor, to engage the second set of points.

Unfortunately, the single-point points don't fit in the dual-point distributor.

First the Hitachi fuel pump hardly ever breaks down or wears out. Just last year I fired up a 710 that had been sitting 8 years since the owner died and drove it 100 miles home and to Canby and back that summer. That pump is 37 years old now.

There's a better chance your fuel filter is plugged or partly plugged, fuel line is plugged or partly plugged or pinched by a rock, carb float stuck or needle valve stuck or plugged, one or more jet plugged.

What makes you think it's the pump?

Nissan fuel pump diaphragm # 17053 21017 from the dealer about $10

If the fuel pump is working, leave it alone.

It should put out about 2.5 to 3.5 PSI, and flow about a liter a minute.

If it fails the flow test, do it again, drawing from a container of gas hooked up directly to the pump. Do not go looking at the fuel pump for problems when the gas lines, or tank pickup are bad

My fuel pump is good, but I usually see where people replace it. Just want to rebuild it while the going is good.

I don't know of anyone replacing a working pump. If working leave it alone. In your Datsun travels you will come across them attached to a head that you buy or on an abandoned motor or in a parts box. Eventually you will come across one so just save it. I have saved about 7 or 8 of them 'just in case' and have never needed one of them yet! :D