mystery 5 speed with no speedo drive. need help.

here is the trans bolted to my L16

5470612416_3b06f3310b.jpg

The transmission came with the car. it's a five speed. and at some point it was bolted to a 2.0 (don't know any more details)

it bolts right up to the L16

under the shifter area, there's a spot that looks like it would be appropriate for a speedo drive, but it doesn't go all the way through. it's like the tranny was cast to accept a speedo drive in that spot but never machined.

the trans is about 2 feet long (a friend suggested measuring it because there are 'short' 5 speeds and 'long' 5 speeds that are common to datsun.

This engine and trans are going in a 71 510 btw

any help would be appreciated. I already tried the search feature, but it didn't seem to help much, since i'm not really sure what this tranny is out of. I know some of the cars had electronic speedos, so maybe??

• Like 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a picture of the speedometer area and also the shifter from the side.

I'll bet the speedo is on the driver's side right?

My guess is that it's an '83-'86 720 5 speed from a 4x4 with an earlier L series front case put on it.

4X4s drive the speedometer from the transfer case so the pinion hole isn't machined out on the 5 speed because it isn't used. From the looks of it, it also has a reverse check sleeve, which was used on '80s transmissions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

finally got under the car and snapped some pics

here is looking up. I crammed a flange bolt up in the hole to keep gear oil from sloshing out.

5613378807_d644353b0a.jpg

here is a shot from the back looking forward. the hole is on the left, you can see the bolt threads sticking out.

5613379009_15a2a943bb.jpg

like i said, that looks like where I would imagine a speed drive is suppose to go, but the hole doesn't go all the way through, and the hole for the mounting bolt isn't tapped either.

anyone got some input on what they think this is out of and what i need to do to get a working speedo?

finally got under the car and snapped some pics

here is looking up. I crammed a flange bolt up in the hole to keep gear oil from sloshing out.

5613378807_d644353b0a.jpg

here is a shot from the back looking forward. the hole is on the left, you can see the bolt threads sticking out.

5613379009_15a2a943bb.jpg

like i said, that looks like where I would imagine a speed drive is suppose to go, but the hole doesn't go all the way through, and the hole for the mounting bolt isn't tapped either.

anyone got some input on what they think this is out of and what i need to do to get a working speedo?

anyone else got any input?

Did you even read my post???

Need a picture of the speedometer area and also the shifter from the side.

I'll bet the speedo is on the driver's side right?

My guess is that it's an '83-'86 720 5 speed from a 4x4 with an earlier L series front case put on it.

4X4s drive the speedometer from the transfer case so the pinion hole isn't machined out on the 5 speed because it isn't used. From the looks of it, it also has a reverse check sleeve, which was used on '80s transmissions.

My description fits it to a T. Speedo on driver's side. Hole not bored out. Because this is from a 4X4 truck. The short length tailstock came in the later 720 trucks. Has L series front bolt pattern because one was swapped onto it. Has a reverse check sleeve (used on '80 and newer F4W71B and FS5W71B transmissions).

Can this be made to work with a speedometer drive? Yes a machine shop could bore it out if they were very careful and were to drill and tap the hole for the key bolt. It would have to line up perfectly with the drive worm gear.... You would have to find a speedometer drive worm gear and C clips and attach it to the main shaft.

5speedfor710goon015Large.jpg

5speedfor710goon027Large.jpg

yeah i read your post.

you said "my guess".

now, not knowing your level of knowledge, nor how many other transmissions had the speedo drive on the drivers side, and by judging from the workmanship on the car as I purchased it, it didn't really seem like the person who owned if before hand would have swapped bellhousings on a truck tranny to mate it with a 2L.

I posted more pics (as requested) and asked if anyone else had any input. don't take it so personally man.

I'm just playing it safe.

which is more likely:

the car I got from the junk yard had a five speed, bellhousing swap, and 2 liter swapped in to it, while the level of care and knowledge shown on the rest of the car was below that of someone who would do such a swap

OR

some guy who posted an answer on the internet is wrong.

no offense, but you being wrong is more likely, since, like i said, I don't know anything about your abilities. other than you've owned datsuns and maybe own a website.

No offense taken. Own a website? not likely! The car is 40 years old. The earliest 4x4 with a short 5 speed is around '83 so there's near 30 years of time when this tranny could have been put together. Don't assume the last owner did this, it could have been done 10,15, 20 or more years ago and 4 owners back. The last owner could have had someone put it in. Anything is possible and this is why I said 'my guess'. This isn't a normal production transmission installed in any Nissan but does appear to have been made up out of Nissan parts. After so many years original parts, swapped parts, modifies parts and mixed parts... it all becomes blurry.

Here's a picture of a short FS5W71B like yours, with an L series front case swap. The speedo is on the left and functional. My guess is that the tranny was from a 2wd. :lol:

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

Here's an older 4 speed (5s are the same size) to compare the length

transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg

...and here's the 720 4X4 short 5 speed I have. All it needs is an L series front case and it would be the same as yours.

83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

No offense taken. Own a website? not likely! The car is 40 years old. The earliest 4x4 with a short 5 speed is around '83 so there's near 30 years of time when this tranny could have been put together. Don't assume the last owner did this, it could have been done 10,15, 20 or more years ago and 4 owners back. The last owner could have had someone put it in. Anything is possible and this is why I said 'my guess'. This isn't a normal production transmission installed in any Nissan but does appear to have been made up out of Nissan parts. After so many years original parts, swapped parts, modifies parts and mixed parts... it all becomes blurry.

Here's a picture of a short FS5W71B like yours, with an L series front case swap. The speedo is on the left and functional. My guess is that the tranny was from a 2wd. :lol:

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

Here's an older 4 speed (5s are the same size) to compare the length

transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg

...and here's the 720 4X4 short 5 speed I have. All it needs is an L series front case and it would be the same as yours.

83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

sometimes i wish you knew what you're talking about Mike! maybe you'll have to make yourself a website so you can be smarter! lmfao!!!

I appreciate the help. I've been on enough car websites that I know sometimes someone will chime in with info that to them is completely correct, but really, there way more info that they're leaving out, or simply didn't know about. I'm just really skeptical typically.

those extra pictures help.

So i guess I'm not even gonna worry about hooking a speedo up to the trans. I might just find an aftermarket set up that can run off of driveshaft rotation or something. idk.

thanks again.

yeah i read your post.

you said "my guess".

now, not knowing your level of knowledge, nor how many other transmissions had the speedo drive on the drivers side, and by judging from the workmanship on the car as I purchased it, it didn't really seem like the person who owned if before hand would have swapped bellhousings on a truck tranny to mate it with a 2L.

I posted more pics (as requested) and asked if anyone else had any input. don't take it so personally man.

I'm just playing it safe.

which is more likely:

the car I got from the junk yard had a five speed, bellhousing swap, and 2 liter swapped in to it, while the level of care and knowledge shown on the rest of the car was below that of someone who would do such a swap

OR

some guy who posted an answer on the internet is wrong.

no offense, but you being wrong is more likely, since, like i said, I don't know anything about your abilities. other than you've owned datsuns and maybe own a website.

Now im not usually a brown nose around here but damn dude..

demotivational-posters-pink-floyd-facepalm.jpg

That should be strong set up. Doesn't the napz trans have a steel 2nd gear syncro .

Yeah I heard something like that about the C type tranny. I checked the 720 5speeds and they have the same synchro for the first 4 gears and they are the same for all the previous year 5 speeds and even back to the 74 4 speed. The 5th synchro is different than the other four gears but the same for all 5 speeds.

I checked the early D-21 Hardbody FS5W71C and 3rd and 4th are the same number as the earlier B synchros, but indeed, the 1st and the 2nd use two different numbers. Don't know what they used.

Warner (the W in FS5W71B) are softer phosphor bronze synchros. Nissan competition boxes use Porsche servo synchros that are I think, made of steel for superior wear and strength.

I have a B type used in the '85 CA18ET powered 200sx and it also has two different number synchros for 1st and 2nd.... 3rd and 4th are the same as previous synchros. I have the front case off of it and the synchro teeth still look like bronze to me.

Here's a picture of the 2nd gear synchro (it's shifted into 1st) and it looks copper/bronze. Can't believe I had a picture of it.... no wait... yes I can.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx017Large.jpg

32604 P0100 is the synchronizer part number used in the 4 and 5 speed 1st through 4th in the 620 truck. It is identical to the non turbo 5 speed in the 280zx, 810/Maxima (gas or diesel) 720 trucks (gas or diesel)and the '80-'83 S110 (200sx.)

The KA trans (FS5W71C) does have different part numbers for all the synchros but I don't know what they are made of. For about $40 you can get one and let me know. :)

damn yall just fucking lay in to skeptics!! haha.

i haven't been on here long enough to really know who's information is valuable. I've been on other car sites where people have thousands of posts and some catchy name under their avatar and it doesn't mean that they are knowledgeable.

at the onset of the thread I had absolutely no idea who "datsunmike" was, or why his information should be considered gospel. he was literally "some dude online" to me.

as it stands, he's added more pics and information (responding to my pics) and a number of people are verifying his ability (at this point is trust his knowledge)

i'm critical of information on forums, jesus fucking drop it already.

thanks mike btw.