mystery 5 speed with no speedo drive. need help.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn yall just fucking lay in to skeptics!! haha.

i haven't been on here long enough to really know who's information is valuable. I've been on other car sites where people have thousands of posts and some catchy name under their avatar and it doesn't mean that they are knowledgeable.

at the onset of the thread I had absolutely no idea who "datsunmike" was, or why his information should be considered gospel. he was literally "some dude online" to me.

as it stands, he's added more pics and information (responding to my pics) and a number of people are verifying his ability (at this point is trust his knowledge)

i'm critical of information on forums, jesus fucking drop it already.

thanks mike btw.

:rofl: dont worry, chop bustin is for for ya

99.9% of the time answers are good, wrong answers are normally corrected by someone else if there are any.

Ratsun is a wealth of datto knowhow

The W in FS5W71C indicates Warner synchros. I've only seen brass ones.

FS5C71C would be "Servo" syncros which seem to be made of steel.

DSC01801.jpg

ggzilla in your picture are you saying the left input is from a B tranny (and has an obvious bronze 4th synchro) and the other is from a C tranny?

My humblest apologies for bothering you guys with this ignoramus's bottom-of-the-learning-curve Q's here. Seems I might have one of those trannys~ 31" long, appears to be a 5-spd (no shift lever), and two plastic pugs on the right side- one for speedo, the other I'm @$$uming the reverse switch. It's a fresh rebuild sort of (in storage for quite a few years- I got it FREE from a warehouse- unclaimed property). I have a '71 521 that the original owner converted to a 3spd auto, and I'd *REALLY* like to have an overdrive in this. How can I identify my gearbox definitively, and figure out the gear ratios? Different input/output sizes? Will the slushbox's slip yoke fit?

You really should post a picture.... it's worth a thousand words.

Sounds like a 'B' type transmission. Firsst thing is to find out if it's a 4 or 5 speed.

Look on the top of the tailstock just forward of the shifter. A 4 speed will have a narrow rectangular plate with 6 bolts and a small plastic breather cap on it, like this...

CopyofF4W71Bfrom75620001LargeLarge.jpg

The five speed looks very similar but the plate a 6 bolts are missing and there may be a small plastic breather to the side..

FS5W71Bpre80002.jpg

Will it fit? Well if the automatic is the same length as the standard then the drive shaft will have been shortened which is good news because now you don't have to do that.

You really should post a picture.... it's worth a thousand words.

Sounds like a 'B' type transmission. Firsst thing is to find out if it's a 4 or 5 speed.

Look on the top of the tailstock just forward of the shifter. A 4 speed will have a narrow rectangular plate with 6 bolts and a small plastic breather cap on it, like this...

CopyofF4W71Bfrom75620001LargeLarge.jpg

The five speed looks very similar but the plate a 6 bolts are missing and there may be a small plastic breather to the side..

FS5W71Bpre80002.jpg

Will it fit? Well if the automatic is the same length as the standard then the drive shaft will have been shortened which is good news because now you don't have to do that.

Mine seems to be identical with the spic-n-span pic you just posted~ right down to the boltheads in the black intermediate plate, single switch hole the same as well. No rev switch, speedo driven gear ass'y, or shifter & boot. Any sources for these other than boneyard divin? The rear seal support is dinged up a bit~ I'll have to straighten & refit a seal. Driveshaft length of no concern, have to modify anyway~ as I'm putting a Samurai TXcase & axles under the truck as well. Hence the desire for OD gear; sammys have 3.73's stock~ but the transfer cases are underdriven @ 1.4/1, so my final drive will be 5.22/1 !!

Lots of talk about the *L-case*~ are other bellhousing easily discernable, or are the differences subtle? I'llpost a pic-r-two in a bit~ still unwrappingthe new camera....

Thanks~

Scott

OOPS~ adlib here... forgot to ask about gear ratios....

The one on the right is from a FS5C71A trans. The "C" for Servo, vs "W" for Warner (bronze syncho).

Tks. Doug I totally misread the post. I know the FS5W71C used different synchros than the B but brass still I guess.

Mine seems to be identical with the spic-n-span pic you just posted~ right down to the boltheads in the black intermediate plate, single switch hole the same as well. No rev switch, speedo driven gear ass'y, or shifter & boot. Any sources for these other than boneyard divin? The rear seal support is dinged up a bit~ I'll have to straighten & refit a seal. Driveshaft length of no concern, have to modify anyway~ as I'm putting a Samurai TXcase & axles under the truck as well. Hence the desire for OD gear; sammys have 3.73's stock~ but the transfer cases are underdriven @ 1.4/1, so my final drive will be 5.22/1 !!

Lots of talk about the *L-case*~ are other bellhousing easily discernable, or are the differences subtle? I'llpost a pic-r-two in a bit~ still unwrappingthe new camera....

Thanks~

Scott

The bellhousings are similar and only the bolt patterns are different depending what motor it fits. At last count the FS5W71B was used behind the L, Z, CA, SD and LD series motors. They all have a reverse light switch, some have a top gear switch but not all. The other differences are subtle and are all in the tailstock. I'll wait for your oics.

The bellhousings are similar and only the bolt patterns are different depending what motor it fits. At last count the FS5W71B was used behind the L, Z, CA, SD and LD series motors. They all have a reverse light switch, some have a top gear switch but not all. The other differences are subtle and are all in the tailstock. I'll wait for your oics.

http://s362.photobuc...c00005small.jpg

http://s362.photobuc...c00003small.jpg

Do these help? Is the truck box a wide ratio? (fingers crossed...)

As you can see by my math in the prior post~ I could use a wide ratio, and really use a DEEP overdrive! with a .85OD I'm still lookin @ 4.43/1~ better than the stock axle, but still a pretty steep gear. Taller tires only help so much....

I forgot to reply....

The '77 and '78 truck and 280z are the same ratios with a 3.321 first. The '79 truck is much wider with a 3.592 first gear. The '80 720 also used this wider ratio. Between '81 and '82 only the 2wd diesel* and all years 4x4* 720s used the wide ratio. *You would have to swap an L bell onto both of these. *The 4x4 does not have a speedo drive in them.

I forgot to reply....

The '77 and '78 truck and 280z are the same ratios with a 3.321 first. The '79 truck is much wider with a 3.592 first gear. The '80 720 also used this wider ratio. Between '81 and '82 only the 2wd diesel* and all years 4x4* 720s used the wide ratio. *You would have to swap an L bell onto both of these. *The 4x4 does not have a speedo drive in them.

So now my pics are up~ can you discern what I have? Here's a ratio chart with my final drive numbers filled in~

DatsunTransmissionRatios-MINE.jpg

And here's the source of my newfound *datsunmania*

got more in th aluminum than the whole rest of the truck!

Datsun002nlp.jpg

Okay, let's ty again~

Dsc00005small.jpgDsc00003small.jpg

It's not an exact science but ... pre 1980 L 5 speed. Consistent with a '77-'78 280z or first year zx. Could also be a '77-'78 620 truck 5 speed. Definitely not a wide ratio '79 truck.

Ratios would be...

1st.... 3.321

2nd... 2.077

3rd.... 1.308

4th.... 1.000

5th ... 0.864

• 2 weeks later...

It's not an exact science but ... pre 1980 L 5 speed. Consistent with a '77-'78 280z or first year zx. Could also be a '77-'78 620 truck 5 speed. Definitely not a wide ratio '79 truck.

Ratios would be...

1st.... 3.321

2nd... 2.077

3rd.... 1.308

4th.... 1.000

5th ... 0.864

Okay, so it's not the most desireable of ratio spreads~ but it's STILL better'n automatic with NO OD! So now I need to gear up (bad pun) for the swap. I need to know what to look for for speedo adaptor, shifter, and ALL clutch parts. I heard/read there's some issues with different TOB's or something? Starter the same?

Dsc00005small.jpg

Dsc00003small.jpg

Well you will have to describe what you have now. You said it was converted to automatic, so how long is the automatic? Is it as long as the 5 speed you now have? Can you post a picture of the automatic?

Motor is an L16???

Well you will have to describe what you have now. You said it was converted to automatic, so how long is the automatic? Is it as long as the 5 speed you now have? Can you post a picture of the automatic?

Motor is an L16???

Yep~ L16 for now. The 3spd slushbox appears to be *about* an inch shorter~ hard to tell exactly when you're upsidedown on yer belly in the dark with one eye closed... JK I'm not too concerned with driveline length~ that stuff's gonna get moved around anyway (4x4 conversion w/divorced Tcase on the drawing board). I'm not sure why it would be needed, bit if a pic of the auto would help I can jack it up tomorrow for a couple...