Heads up about ebay seller reddat & his "NOS" parts on ebay

I've heard things about ebay seller reddat going both ways, good and bad, but he had some "NOS", impossible to find parts on ebay. I wanted to make known my recent experience with him regarding these parts.

I was looking at his "new genuine NOS datsun" parts, specifically 521 weatherstrip. He lists it as "NOS" in the auction title and "new genuine NOS datsun" in the description. I don't see how you could read that as anything other than real, Nissan-made, original parts, but... I was looking to buy the whole lot of parts he has for sale (front & rear windshield seal, window squeegees, door seals, etc), so I struck up a conversation with him mainly asking if he'd be willing to offer any kind of discount on a bulk purchase. As I was clarifying some details with him he informed me that the "new genuine NOS datsun" squeegees he has for sale "are cut to fit and must be epoxied on the car". Hmmm, that doesn't sound like NOS, OEM parts, so I emailed him back asking him to clarify, and verify the nissan part numbers for the rest of the pieces I planned to buy, to make sure I was getting the right things.

His response was "the inner & outer door squeeges i get have to be expoxied on ,and the door seals are not origional,and the window felt runs come in a roll and have to be cut to fit if you ok with this let me know". Uhhh, no, that's not okay with me considering everything is listed as "NOS" and "new genuine NOS datsun". I asked him "Which of them, if any, are actually Nissan NOS seals?" He responds, "i cant guarrantee any of them im just very lucky to get them" and "the front and rear seal will probably be origional".

So, there you have it. His titles & descriptions flat-out lie about the condition/make of his products. Maybe some of his stuff is NOS, I don't know, and how would anyone? Just a heads up to always be sure about what you're getting, and that honesty is even harder to find than genuine Datsun weatherstrip these days.

• Like 3
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOS means just that, New Old Stock. This is old inventory, often out of production that has not previously been sold and is still pristine and unused. If listed as Nissan, it must be made by Nissan and preferably still in it's unopened package. If it has been used or installed it is not NOS.

Pisses me off when I read NOS on some items. It's getting so that damn near everything for sale is NOS. A fender could be a Taiwan stamping and could be NOS, but it sure as shit isn't a Nissan NOS fender. People need to ask questions and demand accountability for NOS claims. Nissan emblems knocked off in China are not NOS and do not deserve top dollar.

I've heard things about ebay seller reddat going both ways, good and bad...

Anyone around the Datsun scene should be aware of reddat. I like the way he resells NOS (genuine-Nissan-in-the-bag/box) for more than you going to your local Nissan Parts Dept. Problem is that a lot of Datsun n00bies don't -KNOW- they can still get Datsun stuff from Nissan.

I have bought a few items from reddat over the past ten years or so but, only as a last resort for things that I had to have "right now" or were too difficult to find.

He does have a good inventory and is a reputable seller, that being said .... he does price gouge the shit out of anyone who buys from him and, I would never recommend him to anyone.

Many...er...most of his listing descriptions are exaggerated somewhat...everything is "rare" or "NOS".

He's a B.S. salesman and I don't care for his tactics or pricing but, everything I've bought from him has been good quality.

My favorite "rare" thing he sells are window crank clips. The price for two varies by a few dollars depending on which model Datsun he has them listed for....even though they are all the same and can be had elsewhere on eBay in bags of 15 for five bucks...shipping included. He really sticks it to the 510 guys.

I have bought a few items from reddat over the past ten years or so but, only as a last resort for things that I had to have "right now" or were too difficult to find.

He does have a good inventory and is a reputable seller, that being said .... he does price gouge the shit out of anyone who buys from him and, I would never recommend him to anyone.

Many...er...most of his listing descriptions are exaggerated somewhat...everything is "rare" or "NOS".

He's a B.S. salesman and I don't care for his tactics or pricing but, everything I've bought from him has been good quality.

My favorite "rare" thing he sells are window crank clips. The price for two varies by a few dollars depending on which model Datsun he has them listed for....even though they are all the same and can be had elsewhere on eBay in bags of 15 for five bucks...shipping included. He really sticks it to the 510 guys.

I understand your points, but not sure how you can say he's reputable when he knowingly lists aftermarket parts as genuine nissan. He does the same price gouging thing with the window squeegees - on the 521 the interior and exterior squeegees are the same part (nissan only lists one number for both inside & outside and says the quantity needed is 4 - left inner & outer, right inner and outer), yet he charges different prices for interior vs exterior. That's actually part of how I found out that his pieces were not genuine.

Anything can be nos. what you want is oem.

I bought the window channel runs and they are not correct being as they have the rubber backing that some people seem to be fine with but they sure as hell dont work for me. Felt only is what I need. I'm going to try some for a jag.

I understand your points, but not sure how you can say he's reputable when he knowingly lists aftermarket parts as genuine nissan. He does the same price gouging thing with the window squeegees - on the 521 the interior and exterior squeegees are the same part (nissan only lists one number for both inside & outside and says the quantity needed is 4 - left inner & outer, right inner and outer), yet he charges different prices for interior vs exterior. That's actually part of how I found out that his pieces were not genuine.

Well, perhaps reputable was a poor choice of wording. The transactions I have had with him have been on the up and up, even though I knew I was paying too much for parts I was already very familiar with and, judging from the photos of the parts, was reasonably satisfied with the quality of the part that I probably could have waited a bit to get somewhere else.

But, like I said...I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. Your issue just reinforces that point.

There are other "Datsun Parts" sellers on eBay, (and some swap meets), that have been discussed here on Ratsun for similar issues.

Not necessarily bad guys, just bad salesmen.

I prefer to look a seller in the eye and eyefuck the part in person before buying.

Buyer beware.

yeah reddat is for the newb or the lazy or the guy who doesn't have a datsun friendly guy behind the parts counter of his closest nissan dealer

on the topic of ebay, i find myself buying less and less on there as i find the same stuff for cheaper elsewhere

Show me a dealer that has 521 or 510 door weatherstrip, front/rear windshield weatherstrip, 521 wing window seals, 521 window channel felt, etc etc. There is a lot that has been NLA from nissan north america for years.
  • Like 1
<br />Show me a dealer that has 521 or 510 door weatherstrip, front/rear windshield weatherstrip, 521 wing window seals, 521 window channel felt, etc etc.  There is a lot that has been NLA from nissan north america for years.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not true... I bought nos 510 weatherstrip and felt last year. You just have to find the right pn... Sometimes it's not the 510 one anymore, it's for the same part on another model. Also got 510 rear quarter window latches and a bunch of other stuff.

Unfortunately my local nissan dealers tossed or cannot/willnot use microfiche and theyre computer cataloging only goes back to 85 or something really lame, so I do see the benefit to reddats business, but he is reaming people. That being said anyone know the nissan p/n for the big inner shifter boot for a 620?

Well, reddat could just as easily be completely honest about what he is selling and people would still probably use him if he is reliable about having things in stock and ships fast. I don't think anyone could really fault him for charging whatever he wants as long as he is up front about what the parts are. Many E-bay sellers charge to much for shipping, especially when flat rate boxes and envelopes at the USPS are free to get the boxes and set prices to ship, and you can ship right from your front door!!!!!

Ill sell you my 510 front windshield seal, california style. i got it for 80 shipped. Ill sell it to you for one hundred thousand, 50 dollars and 12 cents, plus 300 for shipping. NOS (technically, it is new old stock, its new, its for an old car, and it was in stock when i bought it...)

There, now that you have my ad. Does that make it right to overcharge? I saw a 510 part in canada on ebay, dual SU carbs. Guy is charging 125 dollars for shipping. I just shipped some dual SU's to california for less than 20 dollars.

Just in case some didn't know,

eBay charges a percentage of the final price but not including shipping, which is going to change next month.

Thats why you see an auction starting at .99 with $100 shipping.

As a buyer you need to pay attention to the total.

I have done this to avoid paying ebay through the roof on the final price and it still doesn't make sense for me. but thats just me

Guest DatsuNoob

Sucks to hear that. I hate it when I get bait and switched on ebay. I fuckin RAAAAAGE!!! I swear they take shit they could never sell face to face to an intelligent human being, stuff it in a box, and tell you just what you wanna hear to get it sold off. They're just trying to push product. PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF! I havent bought anything on egay for a while now for this very reason. I'd stomp the balls of several ebay sellers who've done this to me in the past, if given the opportunity.

Noob- It is hard to call it bait and switch if the shipping is posted on the auction page. Now if the shipping is not totaled then that would be different but I don't think Ebay allows that? You may just be angry at yourself for not paying attention. Not that I am on anybodies side one way or the other, but when I buy something on Ebay I always look at the shipping price before hand because they often are too high.

Well, reddat could just as easily be completely honest about what he is selling and people would still probably use him if he is reliable about having things in stock and ships fast. I don't think anyone could really fault him for charging whatever he wants as long as he is up front about what the parts are. Many E-bay sellers charge to much for shipping, especially when flat rate boxes and envelopes at the USPS are free to get the boxes and set prices to ship, and you can ship right from your front door!!!!!

Noob- It is hard to call it bait and switch if the shipping is posted on the auction page. Now if the shipping is not totaled then that would be different but I don't think Ebay allows that? You may just be angry at yourself for not paying attention. Not that I am on anybodies side one way or the other, but when I buy something on Ebay I always look at the shipping price before hand because they often are too high.

Dude, before you start calling people noobs you should read the OP and realize this thread is/was not about prices, shipping or otherwise. It was purely about product and the misrepresentation thereof, which certainly could be called bait & switch since he is advertising as NOS and sending aftermarket.