Lowered the 521 today

Hurley

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda a hybrid between 620 arms and 720 spindles/brakes. It's kinda a bolt on, but not. Once I get it done and confirm it works, I will send you a parts list.

Mark

Hey Mark, how far are you into it? I have what you are trying to do in my 521 work truck, I know what your issues are going to be, I did it all, worked on it for two years till I got it right, I know how long the upper arms need to be, ect. PM me if you run into issues as I worked threw all of them. wayno

I did the same on my 521. I found rubber plugs at ACE hardware that were about 1 3/4" in diameter and cut them down to about 3/4" thick and epoxyed them to the control arm where the factory bump stop used to touch. heres a pic but the ones i got were wider.Rubber-Plug.jpg It sounded like DEATH on heavy bottom outs with just metal to metal. these made it WAY better. and cost about $5 for 2 of them.

Here is a side view.

521pictures013.jpg?t=1300301344

As you can see, another inch would be nice. I kind of like the rake though.

that is saaweeeet! yea i want a little rake in case i gotta haul some stuff. exact;y what i want. juts took you about an hour you say? wow what have i been waiting for. oh yea, $$$:D

:thumbup:

Here is a side view.

521pictures013.jpg?t=1300301344

As you can see, another inch would be nice. I kind of like the rake though.

I doubt the box will go down. The 'spacers' are only 1/4" thick. Cabs will sink like that when the floor rots. (not likely the case here) To get them to match the cab will have to come up.

Nice color.

I doubt the box will go down. The 'spacers' are only 1/4" thick. Cabs will sink like that when the floor rots. (not likely the case here) To get them to match the cab will have to come up.

Nice color.

Hey Mike, I'm thinking of taking the bed off and cutting the mounts off and lowering them a half inch.

Do you think it came from the factory this way?

The 521 looks like the mounts are on the box. The 620 are on the frame and the back ones are flush with the frame and can't be lowered. Not sure how the 521s are back there. Can the box be trimmed to let it settle lower on the frame???

No way it would have been miss matched from the factory. Has the cab settled on it's mounts. I've seen the metal rot around the rubber mounts and sag.

The 521 looks like the mounts are on the box. The 620 are on the frame and the back ones are flush with the frame and can't be lowered. Not sure how the 521s are back there. Can the box be trimmed to let it settle lower on the frame???

No way it would have been miss matched from the factory. Has the cab settled on it's mounts. I've seen the metal rot around the rubber mounts and sag.

All mounts are on the bed and raised. The cab is in good shape . No rust or rot, But I will check the mounting area when it stops raining.

The body lines and lower box lines are stock as far as I can tell, if you want them to match you need to cut out some rockers from a dead 521 and weld them on to the bottom skirt of the box like this.

521pictures013.jpg

I read this thread yesterday, and was thinking the same thing.

Rather than remove bed, cut, measure, weld, possibly do it again...wouldn't it make much more sense to add to the bottom panels of the bed? Not to mention the line on the top of the bed will throw everything else off. This pic looks way better...and easier. :thumbup:

I read this thread yesterday, and was thinking the same thing.

Rather than remove bed, cut, measure, weld, possibly do it again...wouldn't it make much more sense to add to the bottom panels of the bed? Not to mention the line of the top of the bed will throw everything else off. This pic looks way better...and easier. :thumbup:

I'm not worried about the botom matching up, I'm talking about the body line at the top. I'ts about a 1/2 in higher that the cab. I do like the skirt though.

I'm not worried about the botom matching up, I'm talking about the body line at the top. I'ts about a 1/2 in higher that the cab. I do like the skirt though.

Oh shit. I see it now. Barely noticeable. But I do see it. Maybe it's like Mike said, and the cab is sagging a little bit.

I would be led to believe that if Mike says he's seen that happen before-that's what's happening to yours. I would focus on raising the cab before trying to monkey with the bed. Maybe just install new mount bushings all the way around...? Regardless, your truck looks great. I like it. I've been lagging on dropping my truck. I think I just made my plans for the weekend.

When I, if I ever, go through my truck-fine tooth comb.

• 5 months later...

nice truck, i plan on lowering mine in a couple of weekscool.gif

You understand that this truck does not exist as it is in the photo, I munipulated the photo to make what I thought the guy was unhappy with, as it turned out he was talking about the cab sagging rather than the rockers not continueing to the rear wheel wells like in the photo below.

521pictures013.jpg

Then I went further and made what I want in the future, I connected the box and cab, and I also dropped the rear box sides to make the lines look proper, as in the photo below. I also removed the hooks.

521pictures013-1.jpg

Everytime I look at this photo, I worry that my actual project(body connetions already made) is not going to look this good, but I have even gone further and removed the rails around the box, it's a lot of work. Also you understand this is not my truck either, I have been hijacking someone elses thread. dry.gif It is a nice looking truck without my manipulations, but I am a dreamer.

You understand that this truck does not exist as it is in the photo, I munipulated the photo to make what I thought the guy was unhappy with, as it turned out he was talking about the cab sagging rather than the rockers not continueing to the rear wheel wells like in the photo below.

521pictures013.jpg

Then I went further and made what I want in the future, I connected the box and cab, and I also dropped the rear box sides to make the lines look proper, as in the photo below. I also removed the hooks.

521pictures013-1.jpg

Everytime I look at this photo, I worry that my actual project(body connetions already made) is not going to look this good, but I have even gone further and removed the rails around the box, it's a lot of work. Also you understand this is not my truck either, I have been hijacking someone elses thread. dry.gif It is a nice looking truck without my manipulations, but I am a dreamer.

yeah i notised that this is not the real truck but in the original one , it looks pretty good so i think im just going to lower it instead of getting air bags and what not. and i thin im going to just put air shock all around and get a small air compressor so i can lower it and raise it when i have a load in the back.biggrin.gif

yeah i notised that this is not the real truck but in the original one , it looks pretty good so i think im just going to lower it instead of getting air bags and what not. and i thin im going to just put air shock all around and get a small air compressor so i can lower it and raise it when i have a load in the back.biggrin.gif

If your 521 is your daily driver, you need to keep it as user friendly as possible, the truck in the photo has been lowered quite a bit, 3 to 4 inches in the rear, there's not a lot of travel left back there, but it looks great, why do you think I decided to manipulate this guys photo.

If your 521 is your daily driver, you need to keep it as user friendly as possible, the truck in the photo has been lowered quite a bit, 3 to 4 inches in the rear, there's not a lot of travel left back there, but it looks great, why do you think I decided to manipulate this guys photo.

yeah i know that im just going to use it to drive to school everyday and go drive around town