Lowered the 521 today

Hurley

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hurley, looking bad ass! What wheel/tire combo are you running? What is the backspacing on those bad boys?:poke:

Rims are 05 Titans 17's. 205/50/17 tires.

Looks good!!

did you turn the torsion bar all the way?

It's pretty low

No suspension travel

Just one notch on the spline. Have about an inch of travel with the bump stops out.Just rotating the bar one notch can lower it almost 2 inches .

I like it! :cool: I'm bringing your old truck back and have you do the same (as soon as it's on the road) :lol:

Mark

Mark, you are much more mechanicly incline than I am, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The ride is actualy better than it was before because it was sitting on the bump stops before.

Hows your truck comming along?

Brian

Hey Hurley, looking bad ass! What wheel/tire combo are you running? What is the backspacing on those bad boys?:poke:

Inch and a quarter spacers in the back. None in the front, but could use a half inch spacer. Rubs on the inside when I crank the wheel all the way, but need longer studs to do so.

Mark, you are much more mechanicly incline than I am, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The ride is actualy better than it was before because it was sitting on the bump stops before.

Hows your truck comming along?

Brian

Getting close. The engine/trans are installed and running. Almost have the front disc conversion done. I hope a couple more weekends and it should be on the road finally.

Mark

Did you take pictures

You should have dome a write up on how to reindex a 521

No, I didn't take pictures. There is a write up in the general section. I went with the way datsun mike did it.

I removed rear torsion bar bolts. Then I went to the front and used a nail punch to mark the torsion bar in relation to the stock position. Then I removed the bolts at the front of the bars and tapped them out with a rubber mallot. Only rotated them 1 tooth. You may need to jack the wheel up to get the bar to rotate the 1 tooth. Tapped bars back into place . Make sure the rear part of the bar with the arm lines up propperly before tightening the front bolts . Then re-install the rear bolts and adjust to your prefurred position.

I did remove the shocks to take out the bump stops. All and all it took less than an hour to do.

I was a bit concerned when I adjusted the bars to the heigth that I wanted because there was no tension on the bars, but as I lowered it off the jack it tightened up.

Hope this helps for those wanting there 521 a little lower.

Brian

Getting close. The engine/trans are installed and running. Almost have the front disc conversion done. I hope a couple more weekends and it should be on the road finally.

Mark

What disk convertion are you doing? I want to do mine too, but i'm gonna need some guildence.

Kinda a hybrid between 620 arms and 720 spindles/brakes. It's kinda a bolt on, but not. Once I get it done and confirm it works, I will send you a parts list.

Mark

Sounds good!

word. you just motivated me. did you remove the rear bumpstops as well?

Yea, removed rear bump stops. Still have plenty of room in the back. I want to go another inch in the back. Right now I am running 4 inch blocks.

I might take the bed off and lower the mounts a little since the body line on the bed is a little higher than the cab. I might even move the bed closer to the cab.