HELP-My motor dies after i turn my brights on

i dont understand whats going on, ive been threw two altenaters and two batterys and its still doing this. it will run good after i get a good battery but then itll get to the point to where it will only idle when its hooked to another car, has this happened to anyone else. by the way it is my 78 corolla.

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason your charging circuit is not complete. Could be a bad ground or bad cables. As it was said get a meter and check to make sure the alternator is charging and that the voltage is getting to the battery. If not check the wires in between.

Get ready for the flaming to begin. By the way, how is Evansville? I used to live in Henderson and my folks still live there, supprised there is a Datsun in that area....

Fuzz

thats cool that you used to live close, but yea there really isnt any old jap cars around except a couple of z cars people hardly ever drive around and my cars, its cool tho cause people break their necks to look at my cars when i drive around

:console: Its ok. HHang around here long nuff, you get cured.

Solution to your prob.........Drive a datsun B)

i do have own a couple but the one thats any close to running is my 210 and it needs a new carb

but i figured i would replace my volt regulater and see if that does the trick and if not ill buy a volt meter, thanks again for the advice

its kinda different every time i dont think its just the brights but i think its cause its got such a power drain that anything like that will kill it, i had to disconnect my radio cause it would just turn on and off

but i figured i would replace my volt regulater and see if that does the trick and if not ill buy a volt meter, thanks again for the advice

I hate it when people are given good sound advice and then ignore it. You have a 25% (or less) chance of being right. Roll the dice and then replace the alternator, then the battery and then find out after all that it was a loose plug in the alternator, bad ground cable to head, burned fusible link, corrosion on the fuse box, body not grounded to battery.......

I hate it when people are given good sound advice and then ignore it. You have a 25% (or less) chance of being right. Roll the dice and then replace the alternator, then the battery and then find out after all that it was a loose plug in the alternator, bad ground cable to head, burned fusible link, corrosion on the fuse box, body not grounded to battery.......

I have to agree. A mechanic doesn't just throw parts at a car. He troubleshoots the problem and figures out what it is then buys the part. No one even mentioned the voltage regulator but you decide to go that route any way. You can get a meter for what the regulator costs and then find out where your charging circuit is incomplete. Maybe tighten a bolt and then still have a useful tool instead of a regulator you may not need. Any way I hope your right but if not at least all your parts buying is good for the economy. But then again so is buying gas. Good luck

i have brand new terminals and not including the the alt. and battery that was already on the car when i first got it i have replaced both two times so its either of those things, im not trying to not take your advice but ive already went that route

A voltmeter is $20 at sears. Voltage regulator costs a lot more.

Borrow or buy a meter and check it out.

its actually only 23 bucks where im at, thats why i was gonna try it, and they said i could take it back if it didnt work

its actually only 23 bucks where im at, thats why i was gonna try it, and they said i could take it back if it didnt work

That's cool they'd take it back none of the auto parts stores over here will take electrical parts back once they are used. Make sure you confirm it with them when you buy it. Hope it works.

Buy a volt meter you put in the cig lighter and drive around and see what your voltages are.

Thanks for the info my fullsize tow rig hasn`t had working voltmeter in years and never even thought of that . Searched and sure enough there is a few companies that make them.thumbup1.gif