My '76 KC build

asdfman7

I've been waiting to make some progress on my truck before I created a thread for my build so here it goes...

Should be done within the next month.

%3ca%20href=DSCN2250.jpg">

%3ca%20href=Datsunrear.jpg">

The day I brought it home. Bought it off a guy in Everett.

%3ca%20href=oldpaint.jpg">

Tearin it apart. looks like its seen a few rattle cans in its day. Title says the truck is green.

%3ca%20href=Datsunengcomp.jpg

">

Cleaned up and painted eng comp and front end.

%3ca%20href=engine.jpg">

Gettin ready to drop the rebuilt L20 in. Bought the truck with a L18 with no head on it.

%3ca%20href=L20b.jpg">

A lil closer...

%3ca%20href=Windowsout.jpg">

Hookin things up.

%3ca%20href=Wireharness.jpg">

My dad hookin things up after we put in a new wire harness.

%3ca%20href=11130012331.jpg">

Body work.

%3ca%20href=Primed.jpg">

Primed.

%3ca%20href=Raise.jpg">

The truck was dropped 4" when I bought it but I cut the blocks in half and raised the front 2".

I know, I know, why?

Before you ask, I live in north Seattle and my Dad is in Poulsbo and we work for WA ST Ferries so I'm on the boats quite often and I didn't want to find out the hard way that I wouldn't be able to drive off the boat at low tide. Better safe than sorry.

%3ca%20href=Paintcab.jpg">

Painted the cab. Sprayed under coat in the inside side panels, rear panel, and inside roof. And sprayed the do-it-yourself bed liner on the floor board after taking care of the rust (I was surprised at how little there was).

So there it is. The middle of this week it's going to Rich's custom motorcycle seats (freind of my dads in Kingston formerly Riches upholstry on 99 in north seattle) for the head liner and new sunroof. While it's there, my dad and I will finish painting the doors, hood, fenders and bed. I will post more pics when I get the chance.

• Like 2
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice looking truck, cant wait to see some paint on it....

And I know what you mean about the ferry at low tide..I ripped my trannjy cross member all to hell trying to get of in edmonds...I got caught on where the ramp folds...oops. So I had to back down and wait until the boat was empty and then they let me hit it side ways...messed up. Then they pulled me aside and took pictures of the damage, and made sure I didnt hurt the ramp,,,ya like that would happen...

Nice truck. Was the body that nice when you bought it?

It was fairly straight, I had to get a left fender and of course a front lower valance. Pick-a-part in Poulsbo fortunatly had 2 620's that we got a lot of parts off of (fender, bumper, dash, cluster, wire harness, grille, windshield, and a few other engine parts). A friend of my dads did a good job at taking out some dings and fillin in a few places. When he started on the left bed side we discovered that the whole side in front of the wheelwell was filled with bondo inside and out. The plan is to get some sheet metal and wall in the inside of the bed and gate to add some protection when hauling stuff.

It's taken a lot of time and work but mainly that was spent on rebuilding the motor and finding out the hard way that things off of a 78 are a little different than a 76. The forums here have been a HUGE help when it came to figuring things out.

• 4 weeks later...

Heeey, those look like the same seats I'm trying to cram into mine.

I'm not a fan of the KC's, but this is REALLY nice. That shiny clean whiteness is just an awesome sight to behold. :P

Ya, I still have to make a frame for the seats, when I bought the truck the seats were only held in by two bolts. Not exactly crash rated. Eventually I'm going to find some nice cloth sport seats and throw those in. Right now the truck's just primed, my dads air comp motor blew so I couldn't paint this past weekend, but he just installed a new motor and should be all painted by the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

TRUCKS DONE! (Well it never really completely done) I'll get pics up tomorrow when I go to my dads (its in his shop in Poulsbo). Drove it to the gas station down the street from his houses and was already turning heads! I was going to drive it home but the brakes need to be adjusted and the heater control valve just started leaking.

That's a very nice looking truck! I like the antenna...it adds a nice touch of class!

I bought the truck with the cut out in the fender for the antenna already there. I think it looks a lot better too.

• 3 weeks later...

That is awesome. That's a seriously fast reconstruction of a truck that wasn't even running when you picked it up! BRAVO. It's looking great. It must have been nice to be able to work along side your dad too! Great project for the two of you. Keep posting pics of the truck out and about. I'd love to see it in the lineup at one of your local meets too...especially if you and your dad are standing with the truck! AWESOME! Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Good looking KC man, I also own one and its a 79. Wow that harness bit scares the hell out of me. I hate electrical work. Are you planning on keeping the truck as original as possible when it comes to body modifications? Truck looks outstanding keep up all the good work. My truck is white also and will try to post some pics in some time. Would like to see some pics when you get more of the interior okay? Good work!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...