headlights now

laotsu

SO... (deep breath)

I had a charging problem and was dumb enough to replace the alt and volt reg before I realized that all that was wrong was a corroded fuse that looked good. Nothing like $75 in parts to realize I needed a ten cent fuse.

car runs and charges fine now, my turn signal dont fuck up like they used to. BUT JESUSTITTYFUCKINGSANTACLAUS! The damn headlights aint working now, but the running lights come on. I replaced all the fuses so I dont think its that.

since the running lights come on Im pretty sure the switch is working. the lights were fine before all this bullshit so Im pretty sure the bulbs are ok but Im not sure how to check em.

how do I find the problem?

god I feel like a loser :poke:

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get a test light.

ground one end

with light switch in the OFF position use the pointy end and and ck all 3 connections at back of lamp(you dont evn need to remove the connector).

If it lights up then your getting power from the battery to the fuse box to the lamp. then most likey a ground proplem at the relay. wiggle that connector.

depending on year soem fuse boxes have a red/yellow stripe wires I think and theres a connection up buy the fuse box. ck there also.

I assume you put new lamp fuses in also just in case.

I really never heard of a fuse fixing a charging proplem as the alternator feed wire is shorted battery,maybe I guess thru the volt reg via the key switch (ignitionfuse)

521 use a switchable hot side of the headlights.

If the truck is stock, the second fuse in from the center is the headlight fuse.

Power comes from the battery positive post, to this fuse. After the fuse, it goes into the cab, on a thick red wire. There is a connector behind, and above the glovebox. The thick red wire goes through this connector to the light switch. There are two separate switches in the light switch, the headlight is independent of the tail, marker, and instrument lights.

The headlight switched power is on a thick red wire, with a yellow stripe. It goes back to the connectors behind the glovebox. The red, with yellow wire goes to the headlight relay mounted on the fender, by the battery. The relay normally connects the red, with yellow wire to the red with black wire, and that wire goes to the two low beam headlights.

Inside the relay, the power is applied to the relay coil anytime the headlights are on, but the relay coil is not grounded. When you switch the dimmer switch on the steering column, it grounds the relay coil, with a green wire, with a white stripe. I am not really sure on the color of this wire, but it is the only thin wire on the headlight relay. With the relay coil grounded, it switches the power coming onto the relay on the red with yellow wire, from the red with black wire, to the red with white wire, and this turns on the four high beam headlights.

The headlights on a 521 are grounded by a black wire, that goes back to a lug under one of the voltage regulator screws. There is also a second black wire grounded here, and that goes back to the frame of the alternator. The frame alternator ground also has a black wire that goes up to the lifting lug, by the fuel pump, and that goes back to the battery, negative terminal.

Quick tests. Turn the headlight on, or at least pull the switch all the way out. Check for power on both sides of the fuse. Check for power on the fuse box lug the red wire is attached to. If power there, check for power on the red with yellow wire attached to the headlight relay. Check for power on the red with black, and red with white wire on the relay.

Check for power at the headlights.

That should get you started.

Here is a really nice picture of the 521 fusebox, I swiped from another forum post. Thanks.

521fusebox.jpg

The red wire, second in is the wire that takes the power from the fusebox, to the headlight switch. It is the one with the slightly burnt boot covering the spade connector.

Here is a picture of the relay connections. Swiped from the same forum post.

521RtsideRelay.jpg

The red wire, with the yellow stripe should have power on it when the headlight switch is on.

The red with white goes to the high beam headlights.

The red with black goes to the low beam headlights.

The green wire with the yellow stripe goes to the dimmer switch, and is grounded by it.

I have one fuse box cover, and the printing on the label is almost unreadable.

From outside, to inside, this is what I can read.

Position 1:

F

Flasher

Reverse

Meter

10 Amp fuse

Gets power from ignition switch.

Position 2:

A (I am not sure, could be some other letter)

Heater

10 amp fuse

Gets power from ignition switch

Position 3:

W

Wiper

Washer

10 amp fuse

Position 4:

C

Room

Radio

Hazard

20 amp fuse

Gets power from the battery

Position 5:

L

Headlights

30 amp fuse. (This size of fuse seems a bit large for the gauge of wires.)

Position 6:

H

Horn

Brake lights

20 amp fuse

According to the fuse cover I have, there is no mention of where the tail and marker lights are fused from. I think they come from position 6. The schematics I have of the wiring have a extra in line fuse for the taillights. I have not seen this fuse on any of the three 521 pickups I have.

Thanks to dat521gather for the pictures I used in the post before this one.

I have one fuse box cover, and the printing on the label is almost unreadable.

From outside, to inside, this is what I can read.

Position 1:

F

Flasher

Reverse

Meter

10 Amp fuse

Gets power from ignition switch.

Position 2:

A (I am not sure, could be some other letter)

Heater

10 amp fuse

Position 3:

W

Wiper

Washer

10 amp fuse

Position 4:

C

Room

Radio

Hazard

20 amp fuse

Position 5:

L

Headlights

30 amp fuse. (This size of fuse seems a bit large for the gauge of wires.)

Position 6:

H

Horn

Brake lights

20 amp fuse

According to the fuse cover I have, there is no mention of where the tail and marker lights are fused from. I think they come from position 6. The schematics I have of the wiring have a extra in line fuse for the taillights. I have not seen this fuse on any of the three 521 pickups I have.

Thanks to dat521gather for the pictures I used in the post before this one.

thanks man thats a big help