Project 620 Revival

73Datsun620

Well, my son and I officially started the project to revive my old 1973 Datsun 620. Today we took the mismatch wheels and tires off the truck and installed the matching wagon wheels just temporarily. We also put the front grill face back on and removed the old camper topper that was on it, matched the era but looked awful. We also took the two transmissions and all the junk out of the bed and cleaned it up a little today. We have three years to get this truck up on the road and in pristine shape; so this might be a slow project thread but we will keep you updated. Here is a picture after we got done today:

0122011602.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we have a lot of ideas for the truck however the direction will most likely be decided as we make progress on it. The color will most definitely be red because that is my son's favorite color; but I am leaning towards mixing in a metallic flake to the color. Some of the definate work that will be done is as follows:

New leaf springs

New Bed

Custom Drive shaft

Leather Bucket Seats (miata possibly)

Floor Pan Patches

New Dash

New Stereo (he has to have tunes!)

Disc Brake Conversion (front and rear)

17" wheels (possibly titan wheels)

And I want to swap in a KA24DE and a 5 speed Transmission

Other little things like carpet, center console, etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

good enough!

I can't imagine any Datsun truck spring sagging :D

I don't think I've seen one bend!

Good luck!

I was only running 2 leafs, (basically stock just without the thick bottom helper bar) until they were pretty much perfectly flat (straight)...... they were totally burnt- I high centered the truck on the leaf spring on a 7 inch concrete drop-off coming onto a busy street in town they were doing road construction on... and I bent the leaf... about 6 inches behind the front spring perch. the entire leaf itself had a decent "S" shape to it... and made the left rear corner of the truck sag pretty much to the ground.

I only say because that's the third or fourth time I've heard on this site that the old Datsun truck leaf springs never really go bad. The particular set I had must have just been hammered on more than I thought- They've since been replaced though-

New leaf springs are always good...

• 5 months later...

Well, it's been a long break from the start of this project until now, but we are finally getting to work on it now. My son and I spent a couple of hours today taking off the old brakes in the rear and removing the axle shafts. I spoke with Alan over at Datsun Parts and ordered a new Wilwood setup for the rear disc brake conversion, and it should be all ready for us to put them on when it gets here in a couple of weeks. I'll take some pictures in a little bit to post on here as an update.

I guess if you're only running 2 leaves,it will be a little lower. They have an arch to them. Some guys use air shocks to raise and lower the truck,or when the haul something. I still have the stockers complete with overloads.

Good start!

Well the overload springs is gone so that is why they are sagging so low.. And they are not Dearched...if they where dearched they would be straight there would be now curve to the, at all...

Was the truck lowered at one time, or now..Alot of times when people lower the trucks, they pull overload and and one other sring and it lowers it more...