Project 620 Revival

73Datsun620

I got a call from Datsun Parts today and Al told me that he did not catch it when I ordered the rear conversion kit, but he is still finishing and developing the Wilwood set for the rear so it will be about three weeks for him to finish that. So, looks like we will have more time to work on the other rear end related issues in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to Autozone to see my good buddy Frank today, and we found a couple of choices for longer lug studs to try. I took them home and we got lucky with the first try; it was the correct length for the wheels and the spline matched up almost perfectly. We are one step closer to getting the rear end put back together and putting on that awesome brake setup. I'm still having some problems getting one of the backing plates off hub assembly, but I have just about got it. I'll update more soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Swapped out the cowl, windshield wiper arms, driver's side fender, and started painting the grill today. We sprayed rust converter on the body panel under the cowl and cleaned up the engine comparment. We have a choice to make too though, do we keep the l16 that is in the blue truck or move the l20b over into it instead, it would mean removing and installing two engines in two different trucks. Is the l20b worth that?

Yeah, from what I read and the amount of work it would take to do the swap; i decided to keep the l16 in it. Today, I pulled the old rear end out of the blue truck, removed the other backing plate on the hub assembly for the rear end I am using, and installed the old rear end under the old project so my friend can pick it up today. Man it seems like I did less when I type it out, but that took about half the day lol.

Progress for the day, I painted the rear end, lowering blocks, and the u bolt top plates. I also got the rear end back under the truck and installed the new shocks, tomorrow I will put the new lug bolts into the hub assemblies and install the brakes and axle shafts. Lots to do but we are making progress :)

IMAG0130.jpg

We pulled the bench seat and carpet out today, and we found that both of the rear frame attatchment locations need to be replaced. The metal surrounding the bolts has completely rusted out, and I have a guy in Van buren working up some replacement pieces for me to fix the problem with. In the meantime I cleaned the floor pans and sprayed them with rust reformer to save on future rust issues.