1-15-11 SacDatsun 'Railtown' Fun Run

68Datsun510

Hey Ratsunduders, quick 'report' on our fun run this month, we started out in Cameron Park at McD's at 9am, then headed south on hwy 49 towards Jackson. I rode along with Randy, a Sacramento dimer/1200er (ranman72) in his L16/Automatic 2 door. Nice little ride. During the first leg of the trip we got a sense of how bad the roads still are. We approached a 20mph 90 degree left, he bumped the ol auto down into second, but it didnt engage until right as we enetered the turn, as we rolled through we both knew what was gonna happen, we went sideways! Randy was quick to catch the car and prevent a 'counter spin' and from there on out had buttpucker moments around every turn with a remotely shiny surface. The rest of the trip up until the return was uneventful and went great, nice roads and decent weather.

On our return trip we had issues again though, as we made our way up South Shingle road to get back home, the car suddenly died. We rolled off the side, checked things, fuel filter seemed empty, car started, but died under any load. It seemed we ran out of gas. But the gauge read 1/4. After several minutes of fiddling with things all seemed well, so we took off...and sputtered to a stop 30ft down the road. At this point we decided to just drag it to the nearest Valero 4 miles away. Our fun run 'leader' Dave whips out a tow strap from his 510's trunk, attaches to structural parts on both cars, and his built L20B flat towed 2400lbs 4 miles and up steep hills. Later on at Daves house we figured out that it was also having ignition issues from the PO installing Autolite plug wires...

Rules Learned:

Never use Autolite ANYTHING

Always fill your tank when the group stops for fuel.

When you floor a L16/auto 510, what happens? Noise. Oh, and nothing. :P

Heres the photo album:

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/5anddimer/1-15-11%20SacDatsun%20Railtown%20Fun%20Run/?start=all

And some highlight photos.

GEDC0905.jpg

GEDC0947.jpg

GEDC0949.jpg

GEDC0954.jpg

GEDC0980.jpg

GEDC0987.jpg

GEDC1011.jpg

GEDC1021.jpg

GEDC1038.jpg

GEDC1077.jpg

GEDC1078.jpg

GEDC1096.jpg

GEDC1119.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go more pics. Great turn out,

We all spontaneously turned a very wide smooth bridge in to a race track as Vic and I passed on the right, Don passed on the left and everyone in the middle was left behind

DSC03613.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

I'd do her

DSC03617.jpg

DSC03624.jpg

Big ass piston and rod

DSC03628.jpg

DSC03631.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03660.jpg

510 towing a 510

DSC03672.jpg

Back at Cathy and Dave's house, checking out his almost finished 2 door. We painted this car a year ago

DSC03679.jpg

DSC03680.jpg

There you have it folks, a fun day.

nice pic of the tow job thanks for the tow dave added 8.5 gallons at the gas station so I wasent realy out of fuel turned out to be a faulty POS autolite coil wire new wires at daves installed and drove home was an awsome fun run got to go back to docs texas bbq food was awsome I AM GOING BACK!!!! Canty wait till delta now

• 2 weeks later...