521 tow package

izzo

Anyone know of a tow bar that will fit on the 521s? I know I will have to do some drilling in the frame to bolt it up, but hoping someone knows of one that is the right width frame wise.

Frame the same width as the hardbody, maybe an old toyota one would work?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy the heavy steel bumpers that have the hole for a ball. That's how I hooked the dolly up to mine. What are you planning on towing?

Tossing around the idea of a small trailer, hauling my quad around stuff like that. But i wanted it to be a good heavy duty tow package. I see on portland CL sometimes, datsun bed trailers popping up. So it'd have to be able to handle that weight, plus another ~400 lbs of quad. The 521 has overload springs on it also

So you got one of those giant bumpers with a tow ball eh, and you hooked a dolly up? Didn't you tow a Z with it or something?

Yeah, a 280zx. I wouldn't recommend that to ANYONE, it was white-knuckle driving the whole way, and very foolish of me. Regardless, the 521 is a very impressive machine.

But yeah, I think with one of those heavy duty 521 bumpers that you can find just about anywhere(they seem to be more common than the bumperettes for some reason), you can hook a ball of your choosing(they sell em for about $11 at parts stores), and I have no doubts that towing one of those converted Datsun beds should be a snap. If you're going to be doing alot of towing on hills or at higher speeds, I would definitely look into doing a front disc brake swap. That's just my take on it.

Yeah, a 280zx. I wouldn't recommend that to ANYONE, it was white-knuckle driving the whole way, and very foolish of me. Regardless, the 521 is a very impressive machine.

But yeah, I think with one of those heavy duty 521 bumpers that you can find just about anywhere(they seem to be more common than the bumperettes for some reason), you can hook a ball of your choosing(they sell em for about $11 at parts stores), and I have no doubts that towing one of those converted Datsun beds should be a snap. If you're going to be doing alot of towing on hills or at higher speeds, I would definitely look into doing a front disc brake swap. That's just my take on it.

Cool man, i may look into that!

The Z is heavier then the 510s and say 521s/620s etc?

Here is an old picture of the bumper that is on the back of one of my 521 pickups.

DragonRear.jpg

Seriously consider upgrading the brakes. Put in a 2000 roadster clutch pressure plate, if you still have a L-16/L-18 engine with the 200MM clutch. A five speed swap would be a good idea, also, but if you do that, you will go from a 3.6 first gear in the transmission to a 3.3 first gear.

In the mid 1970's I towed a two horse trailer, with two horses pretty much all over the Pacific Northwest.

Here is an old picture of the bumper that is on the back of one of my 521 pickups.

Seriously consider upgrading the brakes. Put in a 2000 roadster clutch pressure plate, if you still have a L-16/L-18 engine with the 200MM clutch. A five speed swap would be a good idea, also, but if you do that, you will go from a 3.6 first gear in the transmission to a 3.3 first gear.

In the mid 1970's I towed a two horse trailer, with two horses pretty much all over the Pacific Northwest.

You towed it with the same kind of bumper?

Soooooo...... you want a tow package to tow around an old Datsun trailer bed? Whats so wrong with the bed that already on your truck?

Nothing, and thats why i don't really want to use it. Such a cool little pickup and so original, id hate to dent/ding up the bed. Rather a trailer take the abuse. If i get one of those datsun trailer conversions, if its a 521 bed i might keep it as is, if its something else i will probably end up scrapping the bed part and making a flatbed. To early to tell, just gathering information and thoughts right now :D

Two beds, twice as much stuff.

Exactly!

Yes, that is the actual bumper I used.

It is attached with four 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts, the bolts with the flanged head on the bolt and nut. The bolts are torqued around 100 foot ponnds, I believe.

There are also two smaller bolts, (5/16) where the bumper goes forward to the rear wheelwells.

Yes, that is the actual bumper I used.

It is attached with four 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts, the bolts with the flanged head on the bolt and nut. The bolts are torqued around 100 foot ponnds, I believe.

There are also two smaller bolts, (5/16) where the bumper goes forward to the rear wheelwells.

Alright, thanks Daniel. Maybe i can find a big ol bumper like that and modify it (to damn big and ugly) or come up with something for whats already on there. I haven't seen how this guy built this bumper quite yet.

IMG_20101230_145852.jpg

you gonna be using that?

More than likely. I need something to haul more Datsuns!

It doesn't look custom, and there is a label on it. So, who knows, you might be able to get one of your own!

I'll do my best to get some more info on it and pictures of it.

One more thing I did to my 521. I had a 2" exhaust system put on it, but I used the stock L-16 exhaust manifold. I also used a 2" inlet, and outlet "turbo" type muffler.

Running L16 with A87 head, all rebuild, L16 manifold, 2" or better exhaust with no cat and a turbo muffler :D

IMO you should buy a heavy duty tow package/hitch if you go the towing route, and it needs to be mounted solidly, bolting it to the bottom of the frame is not solid, it needs to be bolted to the bottom and the side, or at the very least the side. The frame is very thin back there, I should know as I have been towing trailers for over ten years with my frankinstein 521 work horse. Another thing to keep in mind is that it has a L16 engine, if your towing the backend of another 521 loaded up behind you, when you come to a hill, you will be droping gears(plural), and when you go down the other side you will feel a big bully pushing you around back there. I have electric brakes on my utility trailer, I got tired of being pushed around. wayno

DragonRear.jpg

"In the mid 1970's I towed a two horse trailer, with two horses pretty much all over the Pacific Northwest."

Let me elaborate on this last statement a little bit. When I was towing horse trailers with this truck, I was showing horses. I live in Portland, Oregon. I have been as far North as North Vancouver, BC. As far south as Medford, OR. As far East as Enterprise, Oregon, or Colfax Washington, as far West as Seaside Oregon. Trust me, there are hills between PDX, and these other places.

With a two horse trailer, the top speed was pretty much 60 to 62 MPH, on level ground. Climbing a 6% grade, I was in second gear, doing about 35 MPH, around 5000 RPM, if I recall correctly. This sounds slow, but it is still faster than a lot of semis, on the 6% grade.

The truck and horse trainer was surprisingly solid in crosswinds. Portland, to points east you are in the Columbia gorge. Windsurfing capitol of the USA.

Going down a 6% grade, by running third gear, the speed was pretty much kept in check. I did have to use the brakes occasionally, but not ride then constantly. The trailer did have electric brakes.

Having done that, I will tell you flat out, towing that much is not a safe thing to do with today's traffic.

I also used a Ford F-250 pickup to tow to some horse shows during this time. The Datsun had fewer breakdowns than the Ford.