521 tow package

izzo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DragonRear.jpg

"In the mid 1970's I towed a two horse trailer, with two horses pretty much all over the Pacific Northwest."

Let me elaborate on this last statement a little bit. When I was towing horse trailers with this truck, I was showing horses. I live in Portland, Oregon. I have been as far North as North Vancouver, BC. As far south as Medford, OR. As far East as Enterprise, Oregon, or Colfax Washington, as far West as Seaside Oregon. Trust me, there are hills between PDX, and these other places.

With a two horse trailer, the top speed was pretty much 60 to 62 MPH, on level ground. Climbing a 6% grade, I was in second gear, doing about 35 MPH, around 5000 RPM, if I recall correctly. This sounds slow, but it is still faster than a lot of semis, on the 6% grade.

The truck and horse trainer was surprisingly solid in crosswinds. Portland, to points east you are in the Columbia gorge. Windsurfing capitol of the USA.

Going down a 6% grade, by running third gear, the speed was pretty much kept in check. I did have to use the brakes occasionally, but not ride then constantly. The trailer did have electric brakes.

Having done that, I will tell you flat out, towing that much is not a safe thing to do with today's traffic.

I also used a Ford F-250 pickup to tow to some horse shows during this time. The Datsun had fewer breakdowns than the Ford.

Every ford i have bought has broke down too :rofl: Except my 63 f100. Thanks for that info, that gives me some good insight on what the truck could do. My plans were to haul lighter stuff, just a small trailer.

Buy some steel and bring it over and we will make you 1. I will have a welder here this weekend and Rick might be over too.

Just might be what will happen :D Unno if im working yet or not, ill know more later on.

• 3 weeks later...