On 5/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, frankendat said:

I have never fired a compensated pistol in one of the inferior calibers, is it different? A compensated .45 ACP with (from the factory sub sonic) military hardball, is cumbersome and nose heavy but shoots the same. (A compensated .45 ACP carbine is neither heavy nor cumbersome)

Have you tried considering that this is the 21st century?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Fat510 said:

Have you tried considering that this is the 21st century?

The war proven, field proven, scientifically proven, factory sub sonic .45 ACP reigns supreme, regardless of the century

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, I know this is not a gun, but it falls into sort of the same category so here it is.

I'm gonna preface this with: ever bought anything really really stupid that just scratches some very low level biological urge when you hold it?

The gunstock warclub is this item.

Yes, it is stupid, but damn if my caveman brain doesn't absolutely love holding the damn thing. I handed it to my two teenage sons and got the same response, something primal fills your soul when you hold it whispering sweet nothings of violence. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6cebb180f3847db74ef076150fe3060b.jpeg

On 5/25/2024 at 12:11 AM, Dguy210 said:

Yes, I know this is not a gun, but it falls into sort of the same category so here it is.

I'm gonna preface this with: ever bought anything really really stupid that just scratches some very low level biological urge when you hold it?

The gunstock warclub is this item.

Yes, it is stupid, but damn if my caveman brain doesn't absolutely love holding the damn thing. I handed it to my two teenage sons and got the same response, something primal fills your soul when you hold it whispering sweet nothings of violence. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6cebb180f3847db74ef076150fe3060b.jpeg

That is an interesting looking thing, for sure.  Mine was a simple tomahawk...

20240526_110100.thumb.jpg.b0ae94af888171c264cc8c6ee72bc292.jpg

I'd pick them up at the gun shows, but never could convince myself to "pull the trigger" on buying.  Finally, I seen't one on Amazon while the bank account was "less empty" and ordered it. 

Another is a short "gladius-adjacent" sword my sister confiscated from her step-son...

20240526_110120.thumb.jpg.d443423a70706fb69ab35d7e53d9fa95.jpg

I need a scabbard for it.  I might need to take up leather working to make that happen though.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 2
On 5/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, frankendat said:

I have never fired a compensated pistol in one of the inferior calibers, is it different? A compensated .45 ACP with (from the factory sub sonic) military hardball, is cumbersome and nose heavy but shoots the same. (A compensated .45 ACP carbine is neither heavy nor cumbersome)

This is the type of compensation I’m referring to.  It definitely makes a difference in follow up shots allowing you to put rounds on target with more accuracy and speed.  They’re an acquired taste though because of the flash that’s visible to the user.  Some people have difficulty reacquiring the sight picture and alignment because of the flash.  It’s only been in my way during transitioning light.  They’re fun to shoot though so I’d recommend trying one.

IMG_5334.jpeg

2 hours ago, Soundline said:

This is the type of compensation I’m referring to.  It definitely makes a difference in follow up shots allowing you to put rounds on target with more accuracy and speed.  They’re an acquired taste though because of the flash that’s visible to the user.  Some people have difficulty reacquiring the sight picture and alignment because of the flash.  It’s only been in my way during transitioning light.  They’re fun to shoot though so I’d recommend trying one.

IMG_5334.jpeg

I was misunderstanding. Back in the day we called that "porting". My S&W .45LC was ported, didn't seem to make that much difference and it blew crap that covered the bright white front sight post. I was thinking compensator was like suppressor and some new fancy way of talking about a silencer. 

The only pistols I’ve used this type of port/compensation on that made a noticeable difference where I’d strongly encourage them have been full-auto pistols.  

I have a magna port job on the .300 Weatherby I have.  I don’t especially think it changes much.  It does make the rifle noticeably louder.

As for suppressors/silencers, I think they have their place.  Especially in close quarters combat situations.

15 hours ago, Soundline said:

The only pistols I’ve used this type of port/compensation on that made a noticeable difference where I’d strongly encourage them have been full-auto pistols.  

I have a magna port job on the .300 Weatherby I have.  I don’t especially think it changes much.  It does make the rifle noticeably louder.

As for suppressors/silencers, I think they have their place.  Especially in close quarters combat situations.

I am not a fan of full auto anything, except maybe an M-60 as they have a slow enough cycle rate that fewer rounds are wasted, but I only shot one in the military and couldn't afford to own or shoot one. The Thompson is said to have a slower rate and be controllable, but I have no experience. 

Suppressed weapons are neat, as long as they are subsonic. Hollywood has embraced the close quarters military/MMA style fighting, with guns but underestimates the sound of the blast in every single action movie and television program. 

I see no viable use for a full auto pistol. 

Magna porting was neat but for rifles once you go muzzle brake you will never go back. I have said it before, but with muzzle brake, shoulder saver pad and hand loads, I can shoot a very big gun all day long with no ill effects (but if I ever shot it without ear protection, on the range or in the field, it WILL damage hearing.)

I am taking a hard look at 1911-22, I have an ACE conversion that is now an antique, that my father spent hundreds of hours on, trying to make it reliable and from what I read, it is more reliable than most, but it still jams, or double feeds or a host of other problems, at least once the first 25 rounds and more after that. 

So, I thought about getting a stand alone 1911-22, the mid range models are the GSG-1911-22 and the Colt/Walther 1911-22. Have you seen either in person? The Colt/Walther would be my choice, but I want to know how the stationary barrel is fixed in place. Any information?

On 5/26/2024 at 10:11 AM, dimlight65 said:

That is an interesting looking thing, for sure.  Mine was a simple tomahawk...

20240526_110100.thumb.jpg.b0ae94af888171c264cc8c6ee72bc292.jpg

I'd pick them up at the gun shows, but never could convince myself to "pull the trigger" on buying.  Finally, I seen't one on Amazon while the bank account was "less empty" and ordered it. 

Another is a short "gladius-adjacent" sword my sister confiscated from her step-son...

20240526_110120.thumb.jpg.d443423a70706fb69ab35d7e53d9fa95.jpg

I need a scabbard for it.  I might need to take up leather working to make that happen though.

Your sword is Conanish, but maybe all short swords are.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2024 at 11:11 AM, dimlight65 said:

I just found a DIY on scabbard making.  I might have to attempt it. Of course, knowing me, I'll probably go off the deep end and make it with carbon fiber panels instead of maple and linen, and alcantara instead of goat skin for the lining.

Edited by dimlight65