How to on fake paint chips/patina?

Hey guys,

New here as you can see, I love the site so far. I have a sweet rat datsun that i'm working on at the moment and was wondering a few things about the effects some people are doing to paint. I found a few pics on here of the sort of thing i'm talking about, I hope the owners don't mind me posting. I did also find a few examples on hotrod sites, but was hoping to get some tips and ideas on here.

First, how to get these awesome chips in the paint like this?

68Rat11-265-10010.jpg

And next, how to get the cool patina look?

JohnRogers004.jpg

Here's my ride, if anyone has any suggestions please go ahead! It's light blue underneath, not sure if I could straight patina my new paint and it would look ok?

datsun316.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

totally agree with the fact that Authentic Patina is really cool... but... as someone that lives in the rust belt and could never achieve that look naturally...

What i really like about this process is that it actually saves the vehicle body from further deterioration... there is actually now lots of paint on the car and very little chance of further "real rust" ... on old 40's and 50's american products, you might get away with a decade of exposed metal, but on our old "Jap thin tin cans", any loss of body metal to rust is a big deal.

Paint chips are easy.

Step 1: Paint it with no prep work while it's still semi dirty/greasy. Basically the only prep is hose any clumps of dirt, moss, or bird crap off first. Use Rustoleum or any other fast-fading, low shine industrial paint. Maybe with a brush or roller.

Step 2: Let it sit outside for a year. You can drive it of course, just don't garage it.

Step 3: Take a pressure washer to it. This knocks large chunks off the paint, but don't get too aggressive or it'll take all the paint off.

Step 4: Sand out the brushmarks/flaws so it's smooth. Don't try to shine it though, industrial paints don't buff.

Step 5: The hard part is preserving what you have left, because the paint will keep peeling.

If you find a car with natural patina, embrace it. Otherwise you're a poser.

yes... but this site is "RATsun" if we are here in anyway identifying with "Ratrod Culture", then Pinstriping, Rat Fink, pin ups, dog dishes, whitewalls, as well as Patina, suede, flat black and " 50's-60's custom" paint are a part of that identity ... are all the other things i mention then false because they came before most of our cars and trucks were made? IF so, then we need a new name for this site and entire new styling mindset.... 5000 BRE 510 clones anyone?

• Like 1

With the truck it is easy, just lightly sand until the lower paint starts to show through, as for the car you posted, I am pretty sure that Bob3 bought it that way. you could chip the paint away carefully, then very carefully fill it in with a different color the biggest problem with the chip is it is hard not to make a pattern, maybe take wet hands and fling paint against it to see where you should put the chips?

I am not a fan of the Patina look some cars pull it off well, some look ratty for the sake of being lazy. I will put my OPINION which doesn't have to be your own so no disrespect is meant. The patina look is a hard look to pull off because there is a difference between a car that is not taken care of and a car that is meant to show age and be fun. Customizing you car with what you have on hand for cheap, but not just a sub par part because you are cheap, and lazy.

If you find a car with natural patina, embrace it. Otherwise you're a poser.

Poser 4Lyf!

Seriously though, my car was almost patina before I painted it. Fake or not I think you have the wrong mindset, its too easy to be negative.

There are plenty of good ideas in this thread. I just rattle canned my car so I get the feeling it would probably get some nice rat effect after a while anyway. Not sure if light blue would look good underneath flat black if I cut it back? Will get it to a pressure washer as soon as its on the road again.

The patina look is a hard look to pull off because there is a difference between a car that is not taken care of and a car that is meant to show age and be fun.

True true. From what I understand from rod culture, is that it was all about speed. All money was poured into having these nice clean tough engines, and so nothing was left for the looks. So then this sort of rat styling came out of that., I love the look so I want to replicate it. Honestly, I'm poor as hell, so theres a real reason why I have crappy rattle can paint! To top it off too many people have huge shiny wheels and candy paint, rat styling is not something you see often here in Australia and it makes it so much more individual.

Poser 4Lyf!

I just rattle canned my car so I get the feeling it would probably get some nice rat effect after a while anyway. Not sure if light blue would look good underneath flat black if I cut it back? Will get it to a pressure washer as soon as its on the road again.

Just get a rag with some thinner on it and rub down the black paint until you get the look you want. If you go to far...you have more spray paint right? :D

With your blue under black paint scheme sand on the edges lightly with some 500 or 600 grit wet or dry sand paper. If your trying to get a paint chip effect buy some aircraft paint stripper, then put on a rubber glove 3/4 the way one leaving the fingers a 1/2 inch hanging off. Dip gloves in stripper, and flick on car in desired area. Let it sit for awhile, however it will got to metal if left long enough. Certain paint strippers work diferent so maybe make a test panel first to see effects.

Guest DatsuNoob

I still wanna see an acid washed bare metal scheme. Back when I was doing the bed of my truck I stripped it down and sprayed phosphoric acid all over it to neutralize the rust. I put a tarp on it and came back out the next day to see it all streaked up and old tarnish kinda looking. Was pretty cool I thought.fall115.jpg

On my 521, chip effect was done for preservation really. I took a small paintbrush and anywhere there was a chip I put a dab of Master Series Silver (Like Por 15). Yours is already painted though, so there are no chips to fill!

OilDrop2009small.jpg

What is under your black paint? Original paint? On my 510 I am using acetone to slowly remove the rattle cat camoflage paint job that the previous owner had put on it. This is having a neat effect where the dark green paint is still in the nooks and crannies and in the seems of the original light yellow paint. I am thinking it will be pretty cool once I put some hand painted graphics on.

That is another thing. A ratty paint job look more intentional if there are some cool door graphics, etc. And a clean set of wheels. Nice interior, that sort of thing.

IMG_0255.jpg

Hard to fake history from scratch though! Much better if some history is still there to capitalize on.

ratsuncar.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg