jay520

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's its previous life:

http://community.rat..._1

I haven't done as much as should've by now.

I've put the front suspension back together, for the most part.

DSCI0772.jpg

I'll probably take the crossmember back out and paint it black. I had some aluminum colored paint lying around.

And I've been working on getting the engine bay painted.

I forgot to take a picture before I started, but here it is without the little bit of rust:

DSCI0779-1.jpg

I was thinking blue.

DSCI0880.jpg

But I wasn't happy with the way it came out (it's spray paint, I probably shouldn't expect something flawless, but I'll sure try). So, it's now back at primer. I'm still thinking blue, but darker. Black seems like the easy way out, yellow seems like it'd be hard to match the body, green has too many connotations (packers, john deere, ducks). I'm dragging my feet getting it finished. I want to get the engine in already. Anyone have any thoughts on color? Should I wait for a bit and get a compressor, borrow a gun, and then spray it? Or just get it done with rattle cans?

IMHO,if you paint the engine bay blue,you'll have to paint the rest of the truck. Black IS the easy way out and goes with anything. I painted mine yellow ,because the whole truck is yellow. I'm going for a restoration look though.

Nice work,keep us posted.

I agree a black engine bay is a great way to go. Ez to touch up if something gets beat up. And goes with everything. I often jump at a color decision and paint the engine bay 1st then realize, years later that i don't like that color option anymore. The work you have done looks good

Satin is a awesome look IMHO. Black looks good in the engine bay. It makes a good background for the engine & all the other bay goodies. I have also seeen a lot of Dattos with Grey bays & that looks really good too. If it were my truck, I would go with the body color. Anything but that blue :sick:

Thanks for the advice, guys.

How about satin black? Would I run into any problems with keeping it clean (I've never sprayed or tried to clean satin paint)?

really...

Clean the engine bay well, maybe even with some mineral spirits. Spend the extra few bucks and get a paint gun or have someone here on ratsun do it for 50 bucks, and spray the engine bay right. That rattle can shit will just chip and peel off and it will look really ugly. Water will shoot up there, rocks, among other things. When you put the bay back together it will get smacked, cracked, and the ugliness will start then.

It is totally worth it to just do it right the first time, the primer stuff from napa will work fine, a paint gun from home depot for auto spray is only 30-40 bucks.

Once its painted right, keeping it clean wont be so bad.

Satin is a awesome look IMHO. Black looks good in the engine bay. It makes a good background for the engine & all the other bay goodies. I have also seeen a lot of Dattos with Grey bays & that looks really good too. If it were my truck, I would go with the body color. Anything but that blue :sick:

Yeah, not that blue. I was thinking a dark, dark, blue. I didn't think people would be so opposed to blue. I thought it'd be a good accent color. Eventually paint the Datsun on the tailgate blue, and some old blue and yellow Oregon plates.

I mean, come on...

oregon-flag.jpg

really...

Clean the engine bay well, maybe even with some mineral spirits. Spend the extra few bucks and get a paint gun or have someone here on ratsun do it for 50 bucks, and spray the engine bay right. That rattle can shit will just chip and peel off and it will look really ugly. Water will shoot up there, rocks, among other things. When you put the bay back together it will get smacked, cracked, and the ugliness will start then.

It is totally worth it to just do it right the first time, the primer stuff from napa will work fine, a paint gun from home depot for auto spray is only 30-40 bucks.

Once its painted right, keeping it clean wont be so bad.

yeah, really...

Do it right the first time, good point. It's all primered up and ready for paint.

I meant are there any drawbacks to painting it satin as opposed to gloss as far as grease getting on it and then cleaning it. If not, satin black it is.

...or blue :P

the only draw back with black is that dirt is easier to see or any dark color will show dirt. ask yourself this, do you want to always be cleaning it to the point you will be rubbing through the paint. Something to think about.