620 headlight upgrade

BEEBANI

Does anybody know of a good headlight upgrade for the 620's? I've been looking on ebay at the newer style diamond cut headlights with the replaceable bulbs, but they only list them for z cars and 510's. Are the 510 lights the same size? Has anybody bought any of these lights off of ebay?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 68-73 510's headlights are the same as the 620's. You are looking for a 5.75" lense with H4 bulbs. you can get H1, H3, and H4 style lenses. Your best bulb selection is from the H4 lenses. The H4 bulb is also available in a high/low bulb like 55/90watt or a fixed wattage like 60 watt.

Bee, i have a set of H1 lenses from a mercedes that i would consider getting rid of.

Jason

Bee, Mine are factory mercedes Bosch lenses. $20 bucks. I think that one of the bulbs was bad though, and one good one. These can work good for the High beams that only require a 2 wire bulb. And you can get higher wattage bulbs for them through napa(if you have a part number, cause the countermen cant look them up, morons).

Jason

ralleylights.com has the Hellas 5.75

Daniel Stern lighting Has Cibies

I run the H4 (outer lights)

on 521 Cibies with 80/100watt with 50amp alternator which is suffienvt

my 510 Hellas with 55/60 watt at at spped but low voltage at ilde with 35amp alternator.(also Hella 500s on bumpers of both rigs than when HIGHs on the 500s light up as well)

4crawlers(a toyota 4x4 site) has the H4 harness with chinese relays,

Just plug in to the stock harness to comtrol tht new harness

should take about 15 mins to install on a 510 or 620

the 521 took my time to install and need to jumper the new harness since it doesnt use the switable ground like a 510

Personally I would go with the 80/100watt bulbs drive behind a car to make sure it dont hit the rear view mirrow and call it good

Im sure the BMW upgrade is very good

But believe me just getting me or anotherDatsun owner to get the H4 lamps is a task in itself(Hellas,Bosch,Cibies Marchals). Took me yrs before i got a set.

Im glad I did and then I say I should have done this years ago(same with the electronic ignition)

But really how many have these on the cars/trucks,very few.

Just get them!!!!!!!!!!!Cost is intailly alot at the time . Its Better at night. Maybe not 120-150$ better ,but better(get the 80/100bulbs and the harness)

I went to Ray Stonehocks Datsun BBQ one yr. I could have made a killing in Battery hold downs cause there must have been 5-8 cars with just Bungy cords holding the batterys. Meaning of this story? If no 5-10$ battery hold down, Dont expect to see 120$ H4 lamps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put the diamond head lights on mine all 4 50.00 per pair. Ebay sells them, checked and none at this time. But the ones I ordered would not fit in the tabs of the datsun so I cut them off to make them fit and the chrome rings were short so I got some rings from the hunk yard off s datsun car they were longer .

Lance

I dont see it in the ad if it says that tey are plastic lenses or glass lenses. I have seen several aftermarket plastic lenses that fade very fast. They kinda get the white scratched look to them.

But for that price it is hard to argue that plastic is a negative about them.

Jason

A quick correction on the Mercedes lights, they are FOG lights from the W123 series. Some may have had the bulb sheild removed which would turn them into spread beam highbeam, while better then stock DOT, they still aren't that good. Personally I would run Hella, Bosch or Cibie E code H4 high/low outers with E code H1 high beam inners. If you want more then you can replace the H1 high beam with a pair of 5.75" aircraft landing lights, common here on 510 rally cars.

• 4 years later...

@ banzai whats wrong with bungee cord hold downs, i use the expensive rubber ones that i find for free on the side of the roads.

@ bee, i put 620 lights on my 720, and swaped the highs for the lows so the inside lights are the lows, looks so much better