Su carbs polished or painted?

I have ben sanding these carbs and getting them ready for polish for days now but I'm starting to think about actually painting then like skunk did to his, but I can detail and paint the whole cab bodies, I looked around and havnt seen any su carbs painted, just skunks tops.

So, should I give it a whirl?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's your car man. do what you think will look best...that's what customizing used to be about...but if you want an opinion on what the masses will think, most people think aluminum parts look like crap when painted...kind of like how some people paint their aluminum cylinder heads...not everyone thinks it is in poor taste but many people do.

regardless, that really shouldn't matter, because it is your car, and if you think it will look good and be unique, it shouldn't matter what others are going to say about it.

I am going to make them ready for paint, if I don't like it, then that is what sand paper is for, high gloss black and orange has always been my favorite so I'm going go for it.

I havnt used my sprayer in a year or so and ive been itchin to use it for months, I'll post up some pics when I'm finished

If you are going to paint them, make sure the upper threaded areas and the underside are completely taped off. Otherwise, the piston will have the paint overspray to tackle in its upward stroke.

Yeah I've been a auto painter in my spare time for over 10 years, this won't be spray paint rattle can but I'm trying to figure out the best theme of orang and black, I might need to rough them back up so the paint has something to grab onto, I'm thinkin the body will be orange but all the bolts and hardware will be black

polish or chrome!!!!!!!!

paint looks tacky on carb parts

just my Opinion

Heh, see, I told you most people feel this way about painted aluminum parts....but, keep in mind what I also said...it is your car, and unless you are out to win trophys at a car show, do what you think looks the best...

Well one of the carbs can use some more 1000 and 1500 wet sand if I am going to polish them, I'm pretty torn so I'll get them both ready for polish until I have made a decision.

Paint is easy to remove so I might get them ready for polish, then paint them to see how they look, and if I don't lime them I'll dip them in paint remover for a week and polish them.

I know it's my car and I have the final say spade, but when I'm on the fence about something it never hurts to get opinions from my respected ratsun members.

Thx for all the input guys and gals.

Please try and find a pic of painted su carbs, besides skunk I have not ever seen any.