1982 Mercedes Model: 300D-T 5 Passenger Sedan

Model: 300D-T 5 Passenger Sedan

Engine: 3.0 Liter DHC 5-Cylinder

Turbocharged Diesel

Paint Grey Metallic

Upholstery-Beige MB TEX

Runs and drives like new, one owner elderly lady.

68000 miles Zero rust and great paint, always garaged.

$4500 , should I buy it?

I would probably sell the woody and it would be my daughters daily driver.

mercedesj.jpg

interiorei.jpg

odometer.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

huh.gif

210>300D-T 'nuff said.

That 210 is going to be way easier on parts and maintinence. Most likely going to last you longer and cost less to maintain. Especially when you gotta fill it up at the pump.

Yea, I figured the Mercedes would bankrupt me if something big broke. But you gotta admit, it would be a sweet, safe highway ride. I look at that 210 parked next to my truck, and it is way tiny. :) I'd have to sell lots of stuff to afford it.

I did a little reading on this car, saw something that said valve adjustments every 5k. Could that be correct?

I really love the simplicity of the 210 and would find it difficult to part with. She is doing nearly 30mpg as a daily driver to school and back. Less than $25 dollar fill up once a week is sweet. For some reason I'm drawn to this Mercedes and find it very much something I'd like to have. Perhaps that is the problem, I'm an old guy and would like to have it and I'm making the excuse of getting it for hitchgirl.

I appreciate you guys, doing a good job of talking me out of it. Now I'm going to go look at it again this afternoon and low ball the guy!

I did a little reading on this car, saw something that said valve adjustments every 5k. Could that be correct?

I really love the simplicity of the 210 and would find it difficult to part with. She is doing nearly 30mpg as a daily driver to school and back. Less than $25 dollar fill up once a week is sweet. For some reason I'm drawn to this Mercedes and find it very much something I'd like to have. Perhaps that is the problem, I'm an old guy and would like to have it and I'm making the excuse of getting it for hitchgirl.

I appreciate you guys, doing a good job of talking me out of it. Now I'm going to go look at it again this afternoon and low ball the guy!

68k on a 300D is just broken in, if the body is in good shape with no rust $4500 is not bad, I'd offer 3-3.5k. I actually have both a B210 and a 300sd which is the same engine/tranny just the larger body. The engine and tranny are about as bulletproof as possible (I'm at 330K on the original engine and tranny and it is my DD), the overall design is very similar to an L series actually. Valve adjustments are every 15-20K miles and with a bent wrench are about a 1-1.5 hour job max. and are not at all bad. That era Benz is made to be worked on, and things are usually well designed, except for the AC system which is done rather poorly. The level of complexity is greater than a 210, however parts are actually pretty cheap and plentiful. Fuel mileage on diesel is pretty good, on the freeway I get 27-30mpg (realworld) in my 300sd which is quite a bit bigger. PM if you have any questions or hit up the Benz forum at peachparts.com.

My first car was 89 300se. Amazing ride quality, while not as nimble as the 510 or Jetta, was way better than my thunderbird. Rockauto still has cheap parts for it. Decent MB forums around, I was able to get help when I needed it (a fuel pump relay was slowly going out). Incredibly safe car (I hit a tree at 25mph :blink: , put the car in reverse, backed up, then drove off, drove the next 10k miles like that). That said, 17 mpg was no fun, and it was/is a bit old manish. Though the diesels can get 30 mpg. These things go an easy 500k-600k with little maintenance. I wish mine was diesel. I also read somewhere that these cars cant be slim-jimed, something about too many folds in the door jam.