'72 510 plastic grille colors

jun

Let's talk about this grille for a minute. Does anyone know if it came in 2 colors, from the factory? I usually see it in black, like this:

five7.jpg

But every once in a while, you see it in silver, which looks pretty sharp.

5049919181_df8a1be2fa_b.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

So can anyone confirm if they came from the factory in silver?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are incredibly helpful today! :lol:

The black is straightforward. But the silver is what I'm really curious about. That grille really makes the 510 look different, which I like.

Arrgh, am I going to have to paint a black grille and a silver grille?? Hmm.......

You guys are incredibly helpful today! :lol:

The black is straightforward. But the silver is what I'm really curious about. That grille really makes the 510 look different, which I like.

Arrgh, am I going to have to paint a black grille and a silver grille?? Hmm.......

Did you pic one up last time you were in Japan? I want one so bad but I cant justify the 1k for it. Can you get me one cheap?

Also, I have never seen them in silver before. I have only seen them in black with a silver lip. been like that since the early 80's when my brother in law got me into 510's.

Mark, tell Miguel that I have been in love with his car since I saw it in my copy of Speed Historix. :wub:

I've always wanted this grille. I was outbid on Japan auctions a long time ago, and decided it was just too rich for my blood after what even guys in Japan would bid up to. But I always liked how it really changes up the look of the 510, and turns it into a Hakosuka-like face.

I found myself in a very fortunate position a few days ago, and as we speak, my Bluebird grille is on a flight from the motherland, due to land tomorrow afternoon. I have been trying to decide how to refinish it, and I'd like to get it close to factory as possible. I really like the silver/charcoal look, but I can't tell what color it actually is. So I guess more research is in order! But I do believe I have a solution...more in my project thread in a few.

Jefe, thanks for that close-up, it's very helpful! That black painted groove makes all the difference.