The Greengoon Build Thread 2.0 // Refresh

greengoon

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes color and rims and them being datsuns. Lol

Just giving the guy props for his nice ride. Hopin mine can look that clean one day! And i like how his car isnt droped right to the ground when lowered.

its one of the lowest datsun wagons around so not sure if u looked bbut it is dropped right onthe ground lol

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments guys! Updating this thread has been on my long list of things to do but I just can't seem to set aside a few hours to do it properly. I just moved into a different home after 11 years and I'm designing a new garage. My electric bike business is busier than expected and to top it all off, I stumbled onto a shell for an EV project I've wanted to do for a long time. I wish I could buy some extra life time from those people that watch TV all day lol.

Jimmy Billy, my rear is set up with air shocks so that won't help you with your IRS but my front bags were pretty easy and not nearly as detailed or as cool as Joel's :thumbup:  I promise to find time by this weekend to bring this project up to speed.

• Like 5

I've been absent for quite some time so its time to get back to recording what I've done this past year before I forget too much. Here we go.

I hinted at what I'd done with a little slide show on the last page back in October. In the mad dash to JCCS 2014, I took a bunch of pics but never posted them. Since the car got so low after the addition of the slot wheels (14x6+0 155/55/14 Federal Formozas front, 14x7+0 165/55/14 Formozas rear) I decided to go with airbags up front. I kept the original airshocks I did a long time ago in the rear. I've had this car nearly 13 years now.

The exhaust was dragging on the ground at the chosen stance so I finally had a professional exhaust welded up. Let me just say, I will never build my own exhaust ever again :D

I had them tuck the exhaust as far up as possible. Barely 1/4" hangs below the frame rail.

1589C953-7759-469A-AA69-867447B064A8_zps

When the car was raised in the air, I noticed that I had not been nice to my oil pan either.

69108FC8-3874-4EF6-9A8E-87952F0EBE04_zps

4B42B06D-B098-4C4A-8881-5E29253447E8_zps

A524E0D5-E6F7-43CF-A68B-7CF220F797F6_zps

I chose to go with Universal Air AeroSport bags up front due to the fact that they slip over the strut tube. Pretty simple. Well it was even simpler than I thought due to the fact that I already had shortened the 510 struts and had built my own top hat years ago. I disassembled the strut tube after a decade and the Tokico shocks were still in great shape. After a test mock up, I cut some spacers from steel tube and set the ride height. In fact, I didn't even weld up the spacers to the tube, they remain slipped on. Aired up, they are held in with tension. I can convert it back to Ground Control coil overs with very little effort.

I purchased the spacer and bearing kit but only ended up using the end plates. The spacer pipe was too narrow of a diameter so I made my own. I purposely stayed with 510 struts but this could easily be done to ZX struts too. Going to airbags in the front was extremely simple and was accomplished in an afternoon. Air management was much more complicated. I'll get to that in the next post.

1E3E954E-2D3B-4727-B571-BF61938115B9_zps

53EBCE87-C67D-48CC-9F4F-4E000598A621_zps

44E24378-9FC2-480D-B9FE-BED4D44A7195_zps

Pictures from mock-up day. The engine crossmember sits on the ground. When parked, I air it up a little to better match the back. Future planning in case I go lower in the rear someday.

94446FCB-D7B0-4074-8E4B-83CB3FFBDCB5_zps

1A88A8FA-0290-4D5B-BD7C-CC64473F0C03_zps

Here's the final spacer installed and 1/4" line plumbed.

D24A9D03-6EE8-4104-B1E1-7C03B0CF0C73_zps

Up and down.

61027C45-4F4E-4325-8399-D43FDFA216DA_zps

F8EE2121-4A48-46A6-9CFC-882C2A551EEF_zps

I will end this post here. In the next one I'll get into the air management system and the body work. Thanks to everyone for all your support over the years! More to come.

• Like 6

John a good shop can just make you a new one.

i know and he can just is back ed till july and said if i can find one it would be easier to get my car in ... plus its more money and later i may pull the top off and paint the roof since im not a huge vinyl top guy but willing to for a bit to see if i like it

• Like 1

Jimmy Billy, my rear is set up with air shocks so that won't help you with your IRS but my front bags were pretty easy and not nearly as detailed or as cool as Joel's :thumbup: I promise to find time by this weekend to bring this project up to speed.

Ya i think.i got a plan for my rear irs setup. The fronts i need forsure.

And in those pics if thats your car fully lowered then im cool with that. Doesnt look like its right on the ground compared to some of the 510 pics ive seen.

And does that sunroof leak at all in the rain when driving? Siting their id think it would be fine but driving you have wind pushing up under it.

And does that sunroof leak at all in the rain when driving? Siting their id think it would be fine but driving you have wind pushing up under it.

From earlier...

The roof only leaks when the car is being washed. The canvas hangs over the opening so as long as the water is not sprayed in horizontally, it stays dry. Scrubbing and rinsing the canvas usually gets me a few drips on the front seat so i just put a towel there and solves the problem. I have driven and let it sit in pouring rain and it does not leak.

Thanks for replying for me, datsunfreak. I had forgotten that I had answered the roof leak question way back when.

Jimmy Billy, I can put the front cross member on the ground with the 14s I currently have on it. I mocked up the 15" Rotas that I used to run and the cross member nearly hits with those wheels too. I purposely park it with about an inch of space under it to better balance the look of the car. Since I don't have guages, I do it by eye.

DSCF0368_zpsb300e811.jpg

DSCF0366_zps4d13e2be.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for replying for me, datsunfreak. I had forgotten that I had answered the roof leak question way back when.

I think I'm the one who asked you last time, so only thought it fair...   :rofl:

I purposely park it with about an inch of space under it to better balance the look of the car. Since I don't have guages, I do it by eye.

Ever thought of some rubber bump stops down there to make it sit at that height by itself? I've giving very serious thought to air ride on my next 510 and was thinking this would be a neat addition. 

• Like 2