The Greengoon Build Thread 2.0 // Refresh

greengoon

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about bumps stops but just haven't gotten to anything like that. When I had it parked awhile in the winter, my system slowly leaked down so I just rested it on a piece of wood. I don't have any issues with the sway bar hitting anything actually. I've driven it an inch off the ground but only in smooth parking lots. My oil pan is too precious :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey Dwayne, I don't know how I've missed your build thread for this car. I just spent about 1 1/2 hours glazing through it. Awesome job, now I gotta go check out your Corona page, the last time I saw that car it was getting ready to be towed home from the JCCS. I'm going to try to make the run this year by the way, hoping to be in my "Hell Goon". I've got a lot of work to do though.

• 7 months later...

I've been meaning to update this thread for quite some time. I'm starting to get back into Ratsun after a long absence. I have added a 620 pickup to my stable and I've started a build thread here.

What better way to update than having my wagon featured in the February 2016 issue of Nostalgic Hero!

IMG_20160105_102850_zpsauidlz7y.jpg

IMG_20160105_103742_zpsbxfehwwk.jpg

They even featured my eBike store Blue Monkey Bicycles! <shameless plug>

IMG_20160105_103359_zpsed1vaq4e.jpg

It all started a year ago in January of 2015. Eric from JDM Legends told me that his shop was being photographed for a feature in the magazine. The photographer, Hisahi Masui, asked if there were any unique classics in town. My name came up and we scheduled a photo shoot on an unusually warm Sunday in Salt Lake City.

hisahi1_zpssjhq8tow.jpg

IMG_3722_zpsp4fcevgc.jpg

I was honored. We shot in downtown Murray, just a block from my store. Hisahi took some photos at the store and with me and my son Miles.

IMG_3725_zpsnglhe4mp.jpg

Hisashi asked me for a detailed history of the car. I provided that and pointed him to this build thread as well. Over the year, we kept in touch via email. The issue kept getting pushed back but I was not worried as Hisahi assured me that it would be published eventually. I can't begin to describe how cool of experience this all was. My simple, imperfect goon being featured in the Japanese nostalgic car magazine.

IMG_3715_zps1ka9f9gx.jpg

IMG_3714_zps7f1tlstf.jpg

IMG_3713_zpsqguknldz.jpg

And if all that wasn't cool enough, Hisashi decided that he needed an extra photo of the vinyl top texture. He had specifics for the photo: a high res, well lit photo of the back corner of the car. Since Miles has a DSLR and an eye for photography, he took the picture for me... and got credit in print for it! 

IMG_20160106_211839_zpst5gjtocs.jpg

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updates on the airbags please!!!! Just found this thread and cant beleave how close are cars are to looking the same. Minus the fact i need to repaint lol20150207_120754_zpsqblxput3.jpg20150207_120805_zps5yvgpgxi.jpg20150207_120815_zpswxmihbua.jpg

lol How is that remotely close other than wheels and the color of your front fender?

They are both Datsuns too

Advans! I'm so Jealous!

Loren, they're actually Riverside 106s. More rare than Advans perhaps? A give away is the round bolt holes vs the square with A3As.

I was not looking for new wheels. I like the slots but then this staggered set of Riversides came up and I had to jump on them. 14x7 and 8 +0s. I could use my same 155/55 and 165/55 tires so I decided to go for it.

Of course I had to take them to the tire place in my 620.

IMG_20160310_080147_zps8ddrdgpt.jpg

IMG_20160310_103035_zps6iljoxgz.jpg

IMG_20160310_104046_zps00ypsent.jpg

Got the wheels back home and slapped them on the goon. I was thinking I'd need more fender but I don't. The tire stretch fills out the fenders well. I still have my original 510 struts up front and with the camber from the front air bags, they fit perfectly! I purposely wanted staggered wheels to make up for the wider front track of the 510. Yes, I am a bit of a stance guy but I've made no secret that I see this wagon as art and this is my creativity outlet. In fact, believe it or not, I've still got some space back there so I'm going to have Joel make me a pair of his famous lowering blocks and level the back down another 1/2" to level the car out.

rear_zpsgjwidwzk.jpg

IMG_20160310_123410_zpsek0ksdbj.jpg

And yes, here's the full shot of the car, Ratsun before Instagram  ;)

IMG_20160310_193843_zpsodc8hohh.jpg

• Like 7