The Greengoon Build Thread 2.0 // Refresh

greengoon

There's a chance but right now the Corona is registered. It has a little more room for the people who are going down and I plan to drive it all the way. The Datsun is the back up plan though. Definitely next year for the Datto after I dial it in more.

traitor.....lolwut...drive safe

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

^ Thanks! Its not as nice as you might think. It needs some work. The cool factor definitely trumps pretty at the moment :)

I've been relying on it as a semi-daily driver lately and it has been great and has done everything I have asked it to. Heater works, sunroof seals tight. I've routinely driven it in 30 degree weather, but I try to stay out of the snow with it. Here's a really crappy phone pic when I loaded it up with supplies after one of my tenants moved out. The car is filthy now and when the weather warms up a little she will be getting a much needed bath.

1018121355.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have been absent from Ratsun a while due to a little business venture I've created. I have opened up an electric bike store in Salt Lake. I am selling Pedego bikes and if you ever get a chance to ride one they are a blast. If anybody is curious, its bluemonkeybicycles.com and I have a FB page too.

Now that's out of the way, let me gush over my little Datsun. I have owned this car almost 11 years and its mostly been a garaged fair weather, fun car. This year, I started to rely on it whenever I needed it and I wish I would have done it years ago. This thing is amazing. Its starts right up in 9 degree weather and is super reliable. It does everything I ask it to with no complaints. I've been driving it so much I forget I'm in it when I see people starting at me it takes me a second to realize I'm in the coolest car on the road. Anyway, I know this is common knowledge for a Datsun, I just had to share how this little wagon keeps getting better in my eyes.

My MarkII is a different story. It been sitting since the failed road trip from JCCS. I haven't had any time to ressurrect it but I still plan to. I like that car too but I just want to swap in an L motor from a Z and make it a rare Toyota bodied Datsun. :D

I will leave this post with a few current pictures, raised a little for winter driving. Kinda looks like the salt flats. And yes, I'm keeping her undersides as clean as I can. Its been the worst winter we've had in years and I can't wait for spring.

front_zps7c817cfa.jpg

rear_zps8bd0bc1b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

EDIT: The old Monroe part number stamped on the shocks does not seem to work anymore. I pulled up their mounting length specs pdf and went over the list. I remember that it was the shortest stud/eye shock I could find. Looks like it is probably the new part number of MA756 with a collapsed length of 10.25" and extended of 16.375". If my memory serves me correctly this is the right length. I remember them being 2 some inches from stock. The stock shock is MA805 which is 12.75" compressed. Hope this helps.

Just confirming that I went with these on my wagon (red text in quote above). Installed them over this weekend and they fit great. I had a bitch of a time with th sleeved lower bushing on these shocks.

I pressed out the sleeve and bored out the bushing so it fit snug over the lower shock mount stud. My lowering looks to be close to the greengoon's.

Thanks for posting up the info on these Duane. I do love the ride height option with these. Reighning "best deal" on my wagon at $56 shipped to Hawaii.

Oh, BTW, these ones I got were actually black in color, which I personally like better than the white. don't mind the exhaust and

20130317_142733_zps2235c03c.jpg

Yeah it does. I couldn't BFH it out and I don't have a press of any kind so I had to figure it out with a large C-clamp. Once the sleeve was pressed out I just used a dremel with small sanding barrel to enlarge it little by little.

When you install the lower mount it won't sandwich/squeeze the rubber bushing like the stock bushing. However, the washer from the stock lower mount is slightly larger than the metal that holds the bushing in place on the Monroes so no chance for the shock to slide off the bushing and mount.

I rubbed the bushing down with some chassis grease. Curious to see how those bushings will hold with no metal sleeve.

And yeah Duane, I need to create some space to allow for more travel, but before that I want to work in some traction bars.

I have a set of the correct ones (for stock) for the car on there now.  (Screwed up and didn't think about shorter ones) Maybe I can somehow swap the lower mounts around once I have both pairs in my hands.  My car is in San Diego, and I'll check it out when the new pair gets here. 

Thanks for sharing the info!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned in my thread that I haven't had much time for my cars lately as I have opened up an electric bike store. The response has been overwhelming which is great but it will leave me even less time for nostalgics. We just took on another brand called Juiced Riders, a new company based in San Diego. They have a different take on electric cargo bikes and they build a great product so I had to bring one in. There's no question about the color I chose for the first bike :D.

greenjuiced_zpsf06e1bdd.jpg

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

...Oh, I forgot to mention that I shaved the antenna holes before I had the vinyl top put back on.

I noticed your comment about shaving the radio antenna holes here is a pick of an automatic antenna I put on my wagon. It comes out on about a 45 degree angle when the radio is turned on.

IMG_20130505_123713.jpg