The Greengoon Build Thread 2.0 // Refresh

greengoon

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loren- I wish I had something new to show everyone but I'm just driving and enjoying it. Actually its tucked in safe in the back of the garage at th moment cause we have 6" of snow on the ground.

edekalil- Thanks! Flipping the marker lights to the inside of the fenders was the very first thing I did to the car. You better hope that no one is standing behind your wagon when the radio turns on :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned in my thread that I haven't had much time for my cars lately as I have opened up an electric bike store. The response has been overwhelming which is great but it will leave me even less time for nostalgics. We just took on another brand called Juiced Riders, a new company based in San Diego. They have a different take on electric cargo bikes and they build a great product so I had to bring one in. There's no question about the color I chose for the first bike :D.

greenjuiced_zpsf06e1bdd.jpg

Whats the range and top speed on that EV? Brushless, liths, regen braking? I'm a sucker for EV's. Handbuilt a few myself. One of my finest was built with RC electronics with 5kw brushless outrunner and lithiums. Did ~45mph, although didn't have it long enough to do much other testing. I gribbled once and took a break from the stuff. I have an idea for another EV. More like an accessory to skateboards that would resemble a popular growing sport here in Hawaii--paddle boarding.

Anyways, nice vehicles.

Hey Dzaster- We are very retail oriented so our bikes all top out at the legal limit of 20mph. We can however tweak them to go about 28mph. We're starting to experiment with add on kits and motors but most of our bikes are designed to be electric from the ground up. I only use lithium batteries and the typical settup is 4-600 watt motors and 36 or 48v batteries. Regen is out there but I choose not to deal with it as I don't think its worth the extra cost, wiring, etc.

I have a customer that builds his own ebikes and is very active on endless-sphere.com. When he first came to my store, he rode his home built ebike 20 miles each way to see me. His bike was powered by RC plane batteries and topped out at 40mph! I took it for a test ride and it was a rush!

There are lots of things happening in the world of EVs. There is the Boosted longboards and a few other powered skateboards out there but I'm curious to see where yours fits in. Now is the time to do it as this kind of transportation is getting a lot of attention.

Here's how to find my little store:

bluemonkeybicycles.com  and  facebook.com/bluemonkeybicycles

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

more current goon pics please .. even if stuffed in garage.... do wanna see...lol

Ha ha. Ask and you shall receive.

photo1_zps222f3c9e.jpg

photo2_zps91c42a4a.jpg

It's been a cold snowy, salty winter already and its not even January yet. I'm glad she's tucked in but I can't wait to drive my goon.

You may have noticed the charge cord on the ground. That's for the latest addition to our car stable, a 2013 LEAF. We love it by the way.

The Corona will be undergoing an EV heart transplant but it's all tucked in for the winter at the moment too. Once it warms up I want to get back to playing with both my classics.

leaf_zps2b4d97bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It's been too long since I've updated this thread. Since starting Blue Monkey Bicycles, my electric bike business in late 2012, its been all bikes, all the time. Not that that is a bad thing, it's just that I've missed playing with cars. Driving my Datsun to the store and carting bikes around on the roof is the most fun I had with my Datsun last year. I've had a few ideas floating around for a while to give the Greengoon a little update and now is the time.

storedat_zps2afe915e.jpg

I picked up a set of 14x7 slots a few years ago from a Z guy here in town. I love slots and I think they look great on 510s and this is the direction I want to go for the new look. Not perfect by any means but neither is my 510.

BAB5D834-58E8-48B3-98D2-02D62DC7FB73_zps

494F6B0E-5E6F-481E-9210-180311D1329C_zps

I could go with ZX struts in the front to narrow the track a little but instead, I found a friend with 14x6s on his Corolla and worked out a deal. 510 wagons have a visually narrower track in the rear so I figure the 6s up front will balance things out. I've got 165/55/14s for the rear and 155/55/14s for the front. The rears are mounted and will require a little bit of fender work. I will document as I go. I've always wanted to try my hand at the rear arches.

60F65823-6CE6-4D98-882C-43820CB23519_zps

DAD3640B-7BBD-4EA8-A05F-2340E4B86FD8_zps

2B94CBFA-95BC-4708-B1BB-0F59BE38AE29_zps

1A4A9E0F-3BFE-498A-A960-CFD629067564_zps

F2BEA093-A9B8-4055-AFC8-8281C35E1FE6_zps

So the transformation has started. Nothing major but I think it will turn out to be a worthy successor to the look the car has now. The plans include a vintage roof rack and we'll see if the bumper(s) make it through the new look. I'm going to do some needed repairs, touch up some paint and ultimately take it to JCCS this year. No road trip this time- it will ride on a trailer to SoCal and then cruise in under its own power the last 25 miles or so. Since I took last years JCCS off and had a failed road trip in the Corona in 2012, I'm really looking forward to this year's show.

• Like 6

I've always liked slot mags ! I just really like the old school look of them. I've been keeping my eye out for a set,( or libre's,or Techno's,or Star Sharks ) for my goon on & off the whole time I've owned it. I've always disliked the 200sx wheels I have now,but they're better than the rusty wheels that were on it when I bought the car. Between how the set I have on my 521 look on that,& how good the set you're putting on the Green Goon, I think I'll start looking again. Good to see you posting again!

Thanks guys. It's been too long since I've been on and Ratsun FB only goes so far. I guess you could say I've come full circle because I talked my dad into putting a set of "mags" (slots) on his Opel Kadet wagon when I was about 10 years old. My dad never modified vehicles. The car looked great and I've always had a soft spot for these wheels since then.

• Like 3

An Opel Kadett wagon,that's outstanding! My Dad had a beige one for a few years in the early to mid 70's,then sold it to my Aunt & Uncle. I don't remember what ever became of it. It grew mushrooms inside once. I also remember my stepmom trying to drive it,& getting stuck becuse she didn't know how to drive a stick. I was about 7 years old& had to walk back to our apartment to get my Dad,so he could come rescue her because she couldn't drive it up the hill .

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It's been too long since I've been on and Ratsun FB only goes so far. I guess you could say I've come full circle because I talked my dad into putting a set of "mags" (slots) on his Opel Kadet wagon when I was about 10 years old. My dad never modified vehicles. The car looked great and I've always had a soft spot for these wheels since then.

similar story fr why i love slots ... didnt at first but as time has passed i have grown fond and would like to find a set of 15 for my wagon

^ No.  If anything, paint the interior slots black.  The black color will make it look lower.  The lighter color will do the opposite.

I love how it looks :thumbup:

• Like 2