The Greengoon Build Thread 2.0 // Refresh

greengoon

Wow! Those slots look great on your car,(I really liked the previous wheels on it too though) ! I guess I'd better go dig through that pile of old wheels I know of & find a set before the price goes up.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I will be painting the holes a dark color or black. Body color was cool at one time but I think deepness of the slots deserves a dark color. Not to mention all the black accents on the car.

Thanks Loren. Does that mean that I'm a trendsetter? B)

I'm still trying to decide if I want to put ZX struts on it so that I can run the 7s in the front. I'm wondering if the 6s look a tad small but I will run them for a while and decide.

Does anyone know the stock diameter of 510 exhaust tubing? I'm going to need all the clearance I can get under there. I may have to tunnel it. Ah the things we go through when we're addicted to low.

• Like 1

I would say you're at least fueling the trend,if not outright setting the trend. I know I have looked to your build on this car for inspiration,as I'm sure others have. I wouldn't want to straight out COPY your car,because I want it to be my own style(whatever that ends up being). As for jumping on the slot mag bandwagon, if I do so if will be because I've always liked the look,not just to get on a trend (not that there's anything wrong with following a cool trend! ). If you look towards the beginning of the "Goons check in" thread,you'll see I commented there,that I've always liked the look of slot mags. Not really a big deal either way,I just don't want to seem like a copycat.

That being said,thanks for the inspiration!!

• Like 1

I would say you're at least fueling the trend,if not outright setting the trend. I know I have looked to your build on this car for inspiration,as I'm sure others have. I wouldn't want to straight out COPY your car,because I want it to be my own style(whatever that ends up being). As for jumping on the slot mag bandwagon, if I do so if will be because I've always liked the look,not just to get on a trend (not that there's anything wrong with following a cool trend! ). If you look towards the beginning of the "Goons check in" thread,you'll see I commented there,that I've always liked the look of slot mags. Not really a big deal either way,I just don't want to seem like a copycat.

That being said,thanks for the inspiration!!

Slots are pretty timeless so I'm just continuing the trend. If anything, I'm the copycat. This car did a lot to push me to find a set:

5510205712_5fb05e38c0_b_zps2155aea3.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! Is it just the lighting in the pic,or does the shade of blue on the roof,match the mismatched front door? Nice contrast. Yeah,those slot mags look great on that car too. I think the stance of both this one,as well as your car might be alot of what make them look so good. I hope my car would look as good with them on,since I don't really plan on going that low due the the nature of the roads I drive daily.

• 1 month later...

So I've been picking away at the rear fenders with a little trial and error and I'm happy with the results so far. I can drive it at this height and there is very little tire rubbing. I have a little more straightening to do and then I can weld it all back together and start the body work.

99D48C2F-D689-4468-9687-95AB4C538863_zps

As you know, the wagons have quite a wide step lip in the rear fender arch that prevents going low with wide tires. After a little experimenting I decided to cut the lip and pie cut the fender to narrow the lip and allow the tires to tuck.

63B6953F-BD51-4ACE-966F-B88F385A239B_zps

A combination of the pie cuts, tack welding and good old pipe fender rolling got me to this point.

DSCF6012_zps83935a61.jpg

4DE93CE7-C1A2-426A-94DE-79D6151EC6FA_zps

B00C1329-72F1-4AF9-83F8-5F0B5E54EC5D_zps

67179E14-870C-4A64-BFF4-650EAF8B2A6D_zps

I plan to put in a filler piece, weld it back up and finish it so it appears as subtle as possible. There is now a smooth transition under there for the tire to reside in rather than the stock stepped area.

Inside the fender is a little harder. I sliced it and then hammered the inner bump flat. I have started to weld it all back together but I don't have a picture of it yet.

D761670C-9DD1-41AE-83D9-08BACAA3ADF6_zps

The goon is a blast to drive at this height. My exhaust is probably 1/2" off the ground at one point and actually clears more road items than I expect it to. It will be addressed soon though. The large, cushy truck bumpstops in the back help it to ride pretty well aired out. I plan to put a compressor, tank and manual valves to adjust the air in the rear airshocks on the fly and to make driving a little easier. All in all, I'm really happy with this new look but there's more to come.

A3535288-0C11-4FCB-990A-5BC34ED9FDF8_zps

B7506B03-A51B-402D-9211-8F330C2DE535_zps

• Like 9
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This thread seems to be missing an update...   B)

Yes it does! With the mad dash to JCCS and life in general, I've been spending all my time on the goon itself and I haven't updated my thread.

After getting rid of the fender gap on my the 14" slot wheels, the car was pretty close to the ground. After dragging the exhaust and scraping my oil pan I decided to bag the front with Universal Aerosport bags. It actually was pretty easy and I'll give more detail in an upcoming post. For now, here are some progress shots. I promise not to wait too long for the rest of the info. ^_^

1E3E954E-2D3B-4727-B571-BF61938115B9_zps

44E24378-9FC2-480D-B9FE-BED4D44A7195_zps

D24A9D03-6EE8-4104-B1E1-7C03B0CF0C73_zps

94446FCB-D7B0-4074-8E4B-83CB3FFBDCB5_zps

61027C45-4F4E-4325-8399-D43FDFA216DA_zps

F8EE2121-4A48-46A6-9CFC-882C2A551EEF_zps

B52E597F-DDFA-4B9A-A6A1-0269B09249B0_zps

10F6D072-D3D8-4550-8222-EA438C5107EB_zps

10CB31AF-C3D3-4E1A-8CEE-E6EC1308F28A_zps

C532229B-D223-4A79-A5AA-A3715C64DFB5_zps

6CEBFA74-1D47-46AF-AD21-DF2C955C6DE9_zps

0290B68E-D77E-4314-A82B-45FC48D5B9F7_zps

ABB1A20F-5BCD-4FEF-945A-AF751DAFA30B_zps

DC2A0B49-0EA6-4DB7-A007-FE3D173587A5_zps

• Like 10

Beautiful pics datsunfreak! Thanks for posting. I just did a google search for the bags and I believe I got them from KMW Performance. I bought the strut adapter bearing kit as well but only ended up using the top and bottom plates as the round pipe in the kit did not fit over my strut housing. I know Carlos on here is a distributor for Universal Air as well.

justjoel: I actually studied Jun's wagon and what he did to his arches and then used my own ideas. I'm looking forward to see what you do to yours. I love how you've raised your tunnel and mounted your battery. Very clean!

mattyhacks: Thanks! A friend just recently showed me the Speedhunters coverage but I hadn't gotten around to posting it yet. Here's the link:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/10/jccs-japanese-old-school-socal/#chapter-bonus-images

There were many amazing cars there so to show up in their coverage is quite the honor.

• Like 1

justjoel: I actually studied Jun's wagon and what he did to his arches and then used my own ideas. I'm looking forward to see what you do to yours. I love how you've raised your tunnel and mounted your battery. Very clean!

Oh the door bump is done (long time ago actually) I was referencing the air ride ;) and thanks :)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...