Another L-Series Header Thread

brodster

Okay, to start off I bought these headers BEFORE I read some of the other threads on here regarding headers and one particular supplier of them (not mentioning any names but the business has the initials of Bill's Datsun). Basically, I am in the process of building a L20b, L18 pistons, U67 head with match port, stainless valves (44mm intake and 35mm exhaust), new mild-street cam (not sure of the exact specs, More duration and lift than stock L20 cam), etc. Induction system, not exactly sure yet. Probably sidedrafts. Would love to go EFI, but maybe in the future. The engine will be used on the street. It is not my primary vehicle, but something to have fun with.

Reading the "How to Modify" book, I decided that a header with somewhat long primaries (longer than the shorty header) with about 1.5" diameter would be best for street use. Or at least that was my interpretation from reading that book. Anyways, I found these on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/510-DATSUN-HEADERS-w-out-EXHAUST-SMOG-FITTINGS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0bb7a784QQitemZ180585211780QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

First question, all other things aside (and not considering the L16 SSS manifold at the moment) are the longer headers really the best choice? Or would the short headers be better? Also after reading threads on here, ceramic coating is a must if I choose headers.

Second question. I have never purchased headers before, so is the quality of machining shown in the pictures below "normal" for headers of that cost? Some of the ports actually seem a hair smaller than the exhaust ports on U67 head, but I haven't determined exactly. Do the shorty headers look the same on the ports? I remember seeing the headers in the "How to Modify" book and they looked A LOT cleaner. Perhaps this is why the sellers always take pix of the header with the ports down.

headerPORT2.jpg

headerPORT.jpg

Last questions and main questions: Should I keep and ceramic coat them or should I resell them on Ebay?

Maybe I should just get my money back and get my SSS headers ceramic coated and call it good. I just always wanted a set of headers for no other good reason than just wanting them. Regardless, I am willing to heed your advice.

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, you should report that guy to the ebay folks, then burn his ass with a bat wrapped in barbed wire, i hope you left this guy neg feedback and a nasty message! that thing looks like some cow poo!

I haven't left any feedback yet. And for $275 plus shipping I expected something a little cleaner.

That's... that's just terrible, you'd think for that kinda money you'd be able to buy something that doesn't have a huge chunk missing from a pretty important bolt hole. It honestly looks like an autistic monkey with a plastic hammer made those.

The problem with passing them on through eBay is you're just giving the problem to somebody else who's gonna feel the same way you did when you saw them. I say try your best to get your money back from that S.O.B. and write some comments about his shady work.

I have seen the shorty's and the price. Just thought the long tubes would be better for my app. If top-end had long tubes I would have bought those first.

Does anybody have any feedback on the quality of the headers from top-end performance...specifically the area that mates up to the cylinder head?

I have seen the shorty's and the price. Just thought the long tubes would be better for my app. If top-end had long tubes I would have bought those first.

Does anybody have any feedback on the quality of the headers from top-end performance...specifically the area that mates up to the cylinder head?

I had a set from Steve at Top End on my LZ 2.2, had them ceramic coated and ran them for 3 years with no dramas.

Good god.

I took a dump once that looked more like a header flange than that.

Report to ebay, get your $ back, and post ebay seller's info here so we can harass him until he hangs himself with the cord of that swap-meet welder he used.

^^^I am not sure it would help. I bought the headers from jockracing or Bill's Datsun. You guys seem to already quite aware of his business. I didn't really know much about Bill's Datsun until AFTER I bought the headers. I started reading posts on here.

Unfortunately, when I got the headers I quickly looked at them and put them in my closet because I was busy as hell. I didn't take the time to look at the ports in the pix. There was some paint missing and a couple of small scratches, which is expected. But all in all they looked like exactly what I wanted. Then a week or so later I started looking close at them and noticed the ports. Worse news, I just realized that I already in fact left feedback based on what I saw before I actually thoroughly inspected them. I thought I hadn't left feedback yet. FML.

Well from a manufacturing standpoint I understand why their built the way they are. The actual flange is plasma cut the bolt holes are that shape because then the part is a continous cut, no stoping and starting I'm guess their made in china prolly, with a american price tag. They look like most headers nowadays to me, their looks to be quite a bit of weld on em you should be able to port match them. Honestley I highly doubt your gonna notice rather you port match or not. Headers really don't have any gains on such a small engine over the factory exhaust manifold.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU BOUGHT THOSE NASTY HEADERS for that price.

Maybe I should just get my money back and get my SSS headers ceramic coated . Yes that would have been fine.

Why you buy them? Thats why we are here

Nothing wrong with the short tube header. Be honest I think they made by the same company but the price is alot less from Top End performance. ad even then the part needs to be ceramic coated.

I think that long tube shit is overrated. you need a set up that isnt going to hit the ground on a lowered car. the Stock ex or the shorty is best for that situation.

also running L18 pistons on a U67 head could cause detonation proplems. Find a closed chamber head and run the stock pistons. this is my just my opinion.

you aint going to get your money back

275$ could have bought a cam.you need machine work?

Autosport in Seattle westlake or eastlake it is

Terri is the guy

In hindsight, I can't believe I bought them either. Despite the price being excessive, I had no clue about the quality of the ports. Everytime I see a pic of a header for sell, whether it is TEP or Bill's, it is always laying port-side down. Maybe there is a reason for that.

here is what i said to bills bull shit datsun headers!!

i sent him a ebay question about his headers

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26527-another-l-series-header-thread/page__p__382981__fromsearch__1#entry382981

thanks for selling my friend and probably alot of other some serious peice of shit headers!! your a jerk off and if i was out west i would kick you in the nuts!!! youll get yours in the end! jerk off!!!

wow...this scares the shit outta me....i need a set of headers for my truck...cant get a good ypipe made for mine....

as for those headers, take it up with ebay NOW...thats a damn joke....i sell toys on ebay and the buyer has more power...ppl buy shit, leave good feedback, then three months later claim bullshit and ebay and paypal side with them....

jeff