My '87 Nissan Vanette (aka GC22)

plans are yet to be determined...I only say that because I have a few ideas floating around but dunno if I could actually pull it off, so I don't wanna say "I'm gonna do ________" then not actually be able to. I'll just see as I go along to see what is actually doable.

As for the roof rack...it kinda already has one on there (Nissan stock). See 2nd pic. It also has dual sunroofs (front tilts and rear fully slides open) so I dont wanna be blocking that either. Realistically, do vans need roof racks? It's not like there's a shortage of cargo room :lol:

well no shortage of room in a VW Bus either but they still got the love of a roof rack. But I do understand about not wanting to block the sun roof.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

question... For those of you who are more familiar with these vans, how do you lower it? I haven't had much time with the van since it's been at my mechanic's shop longer than in my hands. I was looking at the parts diagram for it...and it doesn't look like traditional coil spring/shock combo.

nissan-van-front-suspension-401001.png

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like a transverse leaf spring front suspension.

question... For those of you who are more familiar with these vans, how do you lower it? I haven't had much time with the van since it's been at my mechanic's shop longer than in my hands. I was looking at the parts diagram for it...and it doesn't look like traditional coil spring/shock combo.

nissan-van-front-suspension-401001.png

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like a transverse leaf spring front suspension.

That does look like a transverse leaf....... I see coil overs in your future

Interesting. I need to look for one locally and crawl under it but from the drawing, I wonder if you could ditch the transverse leaf spring and then put bag brackets on the lower control arms. Say what you will about bags but I love the ones on my Hilux. And with that front overhang on that van, you will almost need an adjustable suspension to get much drop. I lowered a 99 Quest with custom Ground Controls in the front and the axles bound with 2" of drop. Bags would have been the way to go on that because it was pretty low to begin with. So yes, Goki, I'm just as crazy as you. I love lowered vans.

If you can get the leafs out without killing yourself, (under pressure perhaps?) let it off the jack and see how low it will go (take pictures) :D. See what rubs and if you'll have room for bags. I know when torsion bar trucks are bagged they completely remove the torsions. With bags you wouldn't need the springs anymore. It doesn't look like you would need to relocate the shocks so it might not be too difficult. Wish I lived closer, I would dive right in and figure it out.

After thinking about it some more, I have had the rear leaf springs on both my goon and truck de-arched at a spring shop. Maybe the front leaves on your van could be de-arched and then you could use stiffer, shorter shocks in the front to help compensate. Don't know how that would ride but I try to be creative rather than spending a lot of money. I'll keep thinking about it.

still trying to figure out how to do the moar lower part <_< ...without breaking the bank

*edit

I'm thinking I probably can't go too low with it with that much front overhang...

just as greengoon said, i'll probably need something adjustable like airbags. but airbags are $$$$$ :'(

Love the wheels, Goki! Can't go wrong with meshies. I thought about those same black wheels for my Hilux but decided that the gold matched the truck's rust better. :D

still trying to figure out how to do the moar lower part <_< ...without breaking the bank*editI'm thinking I probably can't go too low with it with that much front overhang...just as greengoon said, i'll probably need something adjustable like airbags. but airbags are $$$$$ :'(

I estimate that I have less than $600 into my truck's air system but its pretty simple and a good amount of my own fabrication. Did they have this model in Japan? Have you ever seen one lowered? Dang- really wish I could help. Maybe post some good shots of the actual front suspension when you can so we can study them. How would the back be to lower?

Love the wheels, Goki! Can't go wrong with meshies. I thought about those same black wheels for my Hilux but decided that the gold matched the truck's rust better. :D

I estimate that I have less than $600 into my truck's air system but its pretty simple and a good amount of my own fabrication. Did they have this model in Japan? Have you ever seen one lowered? Dang- really wish I could help. Maybe post some good shots of the actual front suspension when you can so we can study them. How would the back be to lower?

Thanks...I was gonna get gold meshies but figured black would look better.

Yes, they have this model in Japan badged as either Vanette, Largo, C22 (looks more or less similar)

I've seen one lowered..(I'll have to find it later)

But no clue as to how it was lowered :(

All the rest have stock ride height.

...including this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qythvjeY4UI&feature=related

and this one:

:blink:
  • 2 weeks later...