My '87 Nissan Vanette (aka GC22)

So here it is. I just spent $16 having the thing washed and detailed, and thought i would share my story and some pics with you guys.

Specs:

1987 Nissan Vanette - GC22 Chassis

Engine: Z24 with funky dual ignition/plug system.

Transmission: 5 speed stick

Mileage - 196,000

Owner: 2nd (me)

I picked this thing up for $500 from a local gas station owner. He was the original owner of the car, and stopped driving it for whatever reason. When i went to look at it, it was missing the exhaust downpipe and wasn't running. However, i was willing to overlook that in favor of the bitchin' Enkei 92 wheels that the orginal owner had put on it. As luck would have it, the same week i towed it home, a '88 van appeared at the local Pick n Pull, so i was able to nab the exhaust pipe i needed.

After installing the exhaust pipe, i put in a battery and some fresh gas, and it fired right up! However, it would'nt rev above 2k, and under load would die. I did some searching on the forums and found that somebody had a similar problem, which turned out to be the ecu. So, another trip to the pick n pull and came back with a fresh looking ecu. It didn't really fix the problem, maybe allowed it to rev to 2200 rpm, but that's it.

Then i started looking at the ignition system. I noticed it had this goofy twin plug system..unfortunately, it wasn't as cool as the system on the same vintage porsches :-) I tried unplugging the 2nd coil, and the van came to life. It would freely rev as high as i would let it...however, it still hesitated and bucked under load a little. I went to the junkyard again, and came back with another coil, and some new plug to distributor wires. Installed them, fired it up, and it ran like a champ. I drove it around town for a bit with a goofy grin on my face for a solid 20 mins.

I've since put 250 miles on it. It does have a little hesitation between 2600-3000 rpm, but runs great besides that. Unfortunately, it is geared for 1987, so going CA freeway speeds of 65-70 mph, the poor engine is doing 3200-3600rpm, and gas mileage is high teens on the freeway. Regardless, i still need to get it smogged. But with the cost of the van, a used tire (one was flat), exhaust pipe, ecu, coils, and registration/transfer/tax/title fees, i'm sitting right arounf $750. What a deal for a rare and unique machine!

Upcoming plans: ka24de/5 speed swap for better economy/more power

(Note the clever and convenient placement of the van in front of the nissan flag. The car wash place just happened to be next to a nissan dealership.)

SU1HMDAwMjktMjAxMDExMTQtMTQyNy5qcGc.jpg

1289778102.jpg

1289778105.jpg

1289778108.jpg

1289778111.jpg

1289778114.jpg

1289778117.jpg

1289778120.jpg

1289778122.jpg

1289778125.jpg

1289778860.jpg

1289778863.jpg

1289778866.jpg

1289778869.jpg

1289778873.jpg

1289778875.jpg

1289778880.jpg

1289778882.jpg

1289778885.jpg

1289778889.jpg

1289778892.jpg

1289778894.jpg

1289778896.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1289778894.jpg

Absolutely great find. Very rare as Nissan bought them all back form owners and crushed them. Very few around. Still have the throttle body injection?

That looks like a Z22 motor. Could it have been swapped? The engine ID is stamped on the block just below the exhaust side #2 plug.

ZengineID.jpg

If it has the throttle body injection I doubt it will give better mileage with a KA. The reason they were scrapped was because it was designed for a smaller CA motor and the Z24i was too big and ran to hot in there. A KA would be worse, but triple cool!

See if you can get a picture of the differential. maybe an H-190 . Perhaps a lower gear ratio to lower the revs on the highway.

Pretty sure it was the z24 but now i need to check. The z22 had the dual plug system too?

Definitely a goofy TPI system.

The ka might not give mbtter gas mileage, but a little more power if nothing else.

IT does have 3 recall stickers :-) The temp never gets above halfway on the gauge.

I do have a couple spare SR's sitting around. 1 NA and one Turbo...hmmmmm...

Pretty sure it was the z24 but now i need to check. The z22 had the dual plug system too?

Definitely a goofy TPI system.

The ka might not give mbtter gas mileage, but a little more power if nothing else.

IT does have 3 recall stickers :-) The temp never gets above halfway on the gauge.

I do have a couple spare SR's sitting around. 1 NA and one Turbo...hmmmmm...

That valve cover is typical of the Z22...aluminum, with longer mounting bolts.

The stock Z24 cover is painted black metal.

The Z22 is also a 8 plug engine.

That was my first thought! I can photoshop it for you if you want :D . That thing is awesome and a stick shift van. I would drive that in a heartbeat. Great find.

I'd love to see a photoshop of it slammed and maybe tinted windows too! Thanks man, post it up!

Cool as hell.I wouldn't be surprised if the REAL reason for the "recall" was that it's damn near a carbon copy of the Toyota van.Nice stuff, Cameron. :)

Hey Greg! Long time buddy. It's pretty damn close to the Mitsu Starwagon too...but i think a little closer to the Previa :-)

This will be the daily driver soon.

My parents had one of these things. It was recalled due to fire issues. We never had any problems with it, we even had a LeBra for it; I remember having to put in on and take it off as a kid. In the end my parents took Nissan up on their offer. And yea; we had some family friends with the Toyota version, it was almost an exact duplicate. They kept the Toyota long after we got rid of the Nissan.

I loved it and it's drink cooling capabilities. I remember feeling so luxurious riding in that thing with that cooler; great on road trips.