Potential datsun owner

so im here on research. ive owned an subaru wagon, first car and piecer, then a datsun 620, slammed and matte black, sold cause i had to many cars years later, supra, ford van, 12sec n/a dodge neon, a lifted subaru wagon, and now a H22A accord cb7. im going to school to be a auto/aero mech engineer and i bought this honda for a peppy reliable dd. great looking car. well its been a few months and im not digging the car froma modding point of view.put about a grand in it since ive bought it. ive always had a beckoning for old school cars and my old 620 keeps calling back. but being in school i cantreally have more than one car and im trying to get rid of my subaru and neon. but i will get another 620, but i dont wanna wait. so the deciding factor would be cost. i want it slammed (40 bucks) for 3", work equip 01 14x9/11.5's with 205 55's nt01's, probably an irs rear setup out of a 200sx or a z car so i can get my camber on. and i want at about 150hp out of an N/A L20B. so car would cost about 500-800 in this area, reparing all the worn out stuff is gonna be about 500-1000, wheels cost 650 shipped, tires are gonna cost 500, fender flares will run probably 200-300, the irs can wait till down the road, but i need help on the engine cost to get an L20B and 5 speed to 150rwhp. i was looking at doing the the L20B with the Z22E pistons, and Z20E rods. so what do you guys think, some opinions?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IRS on a 620? whatever for? Lower the truck and get some nice rims and it will handle as good as it's ever going to handle. IRS is needlessly adding camber problems, 4 to 6 bolt rim problems and generally is a weaker rear end. The stock truck H-190 is easy to raise or lower, camber never is a problem, will handle 150 hp. If you have a large work space in a garage, mad welding/fabrication skills, money and a spare IRS laying around go ahead.

The world is full of old Hardbodys so grab a KA24E or DE and swap it and a 5 speed in. Instant 150+ hp from a motor that will do it all day because it was built to do it. L20B will cost way more to build than that and need way more stuff done to it to keep it from self destructing.

Fender flairs on a 620??? Don't do it.

Ha ha, what Datzenmike said.

Id go 15s on the rims though, tires are easier to come by/cheaper and it sounds like you might be going through them.

Worry about the front end instead of the rear, get a 78 or 79 620 that will take the hardbody dropspindles and build/find a nice 1" swaybar in front and something in the rear if needed. Check out yellow620s truck for ideas. :cool:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3521-my-yello620/page__st__140

IRS on a 620? whatever for? Lower the truck and get some nice rims and it will handle as good as it's ever going to handle. IRS is needlessly adding camber problems, 4 to 6 bolt rim problems and generally is a weaker rear end. The stock truck H-190 is easy to raise or lower, camber never is a problem, will handle 150 hp. If you have a large work space in a garage, mad welding/fabrication skills, money and a spare IRS laying around go ahead.

The world is full of old Hardbodys so grab a KA24E or DE and swap it and a 5 speed in. Instant 150+ hp from a motor that will do it all day because it was built to do it. L20B will cost way more to build than that and need way more stuff done to it to keep it from self destructing.

Fender flairs on a 620??? Don't do it.

irs? i love the look of retarded camber. its not sensable by any means, but its just badass. not worried about the rear end handling the power or not. fabbing doesnt cost as much money as most think. wouldnt cost more than 200 but put a full irs subframe in it. i could use the complete rear setup from an fc t2 i have laying around, but id rather keep it nissan. i have plenty of workspace and an extra 4k im trying to decide what i wanna do with. either finish the suspension in my accord and a few other things, or build this datsun project ive been dreaming of for years. its not about the cost, id rather have an expensive l20b than a cheaper ka24 and as far as fender flares, ill need them to cover up 12" rims. everybody seems to tuck their rims and tires. why not take it out instead of in. im not one to follor the ordinary so i guess well see what happens. i look on craigslist at least twice a month for a 620 so i dont know how much longer i can hold out not buying one

Uh oh!! :o

He has an Accord. I see another 620 gettin cut up and then no interest in it and sold to scrap. :(

Cuz the honduh has Vtec, YO!

if you read my first post youd see that i dont like this car anymore and thats why im looking around. i do have vtec even though accord cb7's didnt come with them in the US, H22A has 220 stock hp. its also got Audi HID's retrofitted into the headlights. not a single mod on this car is riced out. my last car was a dodge neon that ran 12's withought boost. i had a previous 620 that was lowered and i had completely rebuilt mechanically. im not a honda guy, this accord is the first and will be the last honda i ever drive. so im looking at either a 620, 85 supra, early 80's starlet, or 240. but most likely one of the datsuns.

i do have vtec even though accord cb7's didnt come with them in the US, H22A has 220 stock hp. its also got Audi HID's retrofitted into the headlights. not a single mod on this car is riced out. my last car was a dodge neon that ran 12's withought boost. i had a previous 620 that was lowered and i had completely rebuilt mechanically.

:blink:

Classic case of too many ideas at once. It looks like you've been picking up and ditching cars for modification to what the status quo thinks is "cool." Lots of cars go through this phase. Not to sound too zen, but when you're a Datsun guy, the car will pick you.

Either way, make a list of what you need to have your ONE car do. Does it need to haul dirt/rocks/dirt bike? Then get a truck. Does it need to get really good mileage to save your ass from gas prices? Don't get a truck, get a car. You need to identify the function of what you're whittling down to, then build it as you see fit. And fuck the status quo. As the saying goes, "Spending money you don't have, to buy things you don't want, to impress people you don't like." Build it for you. You just have to figure out what makes YOU happy.

And don't put IRS on a 620, even though I think it's a great idea. The reason not to is because to correctly set it up would cost easily 4 times what the truck is worth, and unless you have a shop, a second Datsun nut, a suspension nut, and a shitload of parts, it will come out half-assed and be generally worthless. To start a project of that magnitude requires massive balls and massive patience and diligence to pull it off.

All that time and effort to have fucked up camber??? Is this what this is all about??? You may think that everyone else thinks it's 'cool' but it's also unsafe from a handling point of view and rough on tires. Save a Datsun... drive a Honhuh.

Why all the negativity? I understand massive camber may not be the thing of a lot of the people here, but there are different styles than just what the majority of what most here like. I'm pretty sure he realizes that with massive camber comes horrendous tire wear, but that's the style he's going for. It's amazing to think that because a person owns a Honda, they instantly become stereotyped as being ricers and quite a few of you are quick to cut a person down for this reason.

As for IRS, what datzenmike and HRH said is true. Between the cost, the fab skills needed, and the time needed for such an undertaking, most end up giving up, which is what a lot of people on this forum hate to see. One option would be to use the rear setup from an S13, but you would be making it wider by quite a bit and would need the fab skills and time to do this or the money to have someone else do it. For examples on this you can check out this link: 620 Warmachine

• Like 3