smoke

ricky

i have a datsun 510 with a l16. some days after being on the free way or down shifting i get large clouds of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. the i will get it some times after that when i start from a stop. i dont seem to lose any oil. and my car seems to run fine

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compression check your motor ;)

They also sell ( or use to sell ) kits that you could test for exhaust gases ( percentage/content ) in the cooling system ,,, lil lab kit for like $30 ? ........ ( to see if you have blown head gasket , leaky , or something else possibly ? )

What is your driving style ? ( be honest )

Shift Points ?

How big are the clouds or "poofs" ? Pure White ?

if you can afford to ,,, if it were me ( just being honest ;) ) ,,, I would stop driving the car until figuring it out ,,,,

Datzenmike could tell you better than I could ,,,,,, I would highly suspect a leaky-head-gasket , cracked head , or hopefully a common silly problem on the 4cyl L-series ;)

I always assume the worst though ,,,, what's your coolant level at ? Use much ? Color ?

Last statement I said ---> when pushing on throttle ,,, do you push harder than needed ( 1/2 way or more )

Ok ,,, yeah it's probably just a gas issue ,,,, your running rich more likely than not ,,,,

Forget the coolant issue for the moment ( white smoke is water ) ,,,, datzenmike is guru at this stuff ,,,,,

What Kind of Carb do you have ? ( weber , hitachi , sidedrafts ? etc... )

Both stay good I never have to add water and I haven't since I but the right oil in it. When I got it had 1030 and I had to add about once a week to once every 2 weeks I now use 20 50 and I don't have to add at all. I still check it all the time