L16 1969 overhaul **Coverage**

paradoxx

Well boyz..I recently overhauled mi powerplant. Its getting harder to get spare parts, I used to have hastings 2C piston rings but no one sells them anymore. I still have my flat top pistons. I did the work because it started to burn oil and I hate that, the problem was taht on the last overhaul, almost 10 years ago, the mechanic put some cheap piston rings and 3 out of 4 1st ring were broken in half, a complete mess on my head. But please take a look at the coverage. :D

I will be updating the detail for each picture but later, im gettin asleep.

My dad and my hand

dsc03664yf5.jpg

dsc03659vz5.jpg

dsc03662nl3.jpg

dsc03678ih4.jpg

dsc03677gs7.jpg

dsc03676sy6.jpg

dsc03811om4.jpg

dsc03812ko5.jpg

dsc03814xd5.jpg

dsc03815pr5.jpg

dsc03816fs2.jpg

dsc03817bf6.jpg

dsc03818yk2.jpg

dsc03820nc8.jpg

dsc03834ll2.jpg

dsc03838mv1.jpg

dsc03841mr6.jpg

dsc03842sz0.jpg

dsc03843vw6.jpg

dsc03844nt6.jpg

dsc03846es6.jpg

dsc03848ht7.jpg

dsc03849ce2.jpg

dsc03850nh0.jpg

dsc03851ys0.jpg

dsc03852wc3.jpg

dsc03854av4.jpg

dsc03855fy1.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enjoy the rebuild pics as always. Is it hard to get parts where you live?

well, its getting harder every day, for example, I dunno how do you called them, but both of the pipes where the radiator hoses fit it, those are impossible to find new, only at a junk yard and maybe in the same state as mine. I will start to import parts from CA gradually.

Don't know wha I like more, the engine, or seeing your dad wrenching with you!

So cool!

Yeah, we worked together because he started me at Datsun world, that car was bought by them before they got married, so you can imagine how I appreciate that car. I learned to drive in that car.

I used the left lower hole on the slack side chain guide.

as in the photo

I dont think it matters

Pistons rings/bearing are still common to get

from Beck Arnely brand, to Hastings even Deves

motor looks good

Yes, I followed you video but, on the book of how to rebuild the L16 it said that if the chain was brand new that i had to use that hole. Dunno, I wanted to do it your way but my dad brainstormed me.haha

2eDeYe;35616'']Nice looking powerplant ya got there :cool:

Thanx!!

i may have a set of stock nissan main/crank bearings (if not for an l16 then for a L20)

ill check this weekend for ya

are those standard? because after 39 years the crank is not standard anymore........ now is 0.25. I didnt wanted that but the A-hole of the last mechanic that overhauled my car did it the wrong way, as you can see on the bearing that supposed to be on the front.

Well, let me tell you the story about the nissan dealer here named CIDEA. The thing is that suddenly a bank declared bankruptcy and guess what! the dealer had its money there, so the dealer CIDEA was bought by PANAMOTOR that only sells spare parts for Nissan cars above 1984. So PANAMOTOR sold to Panama city all the 1978 and below spare parts as junk, for recycling!! :mad: :fu: Some small retailers bought some spares but they are gone almost all of them. My closest chance is El Salvador but either way, if I ask panamotor to bring them for me they say at least I have to wait 3 months and a ridiculous price, way high. So is better for me import them form the US.

yeah!! post 100!! :D Im senior now hehe

Yesterday I got the engine on the engine bay, and put it al back together and everything set to start it. When I started my dad told me that pressure was comming out from the head gasket with a lil bit of water too. Ive rechecked the head bolt and everything was fine. I guess the gasket suxx do you guys have any idea?

Was this motor running?

I assume yes it was running.

If there is a water leak is it from the intake side? If yes maybe the intake manifold gasket is not tight. Its where the header and the intake mate together where these leak sometimes.from the water passage to heat the intake manifold.

I notice on the head photo that there looks like corrsion around the water port or is that a head bolt hole? Is it leaky on that side of the head?

Maybe post a photo?

it's from the spark plug side, maybe ill catch a pic for ya, I didnt wanted to keep it running because It could become mess. The motor really didnt start becase it was still filing the fuel lines and carbs. I hope is just a swap for a better gasket, I didnt found the Payen brand and I installed a made in spain one.

My brother borrowed his camera and I dont have any with a real lens, just cellphone but really suxx. I discarded the gasket, im thinking now taht maybe it is a shitty head job. I have a friend of mine that has a motor shop, I need a second opinion about the work done. I will try to get a pic before disassembling it again for you to see. Im really disappointed now. I need my dat and I miss my dat.