L16 1969 overhaul **Coverage**

paradoxx

I have news for ya about my head. I took it to the shop yesterday and the even sandblasted it, its nice just like a brand new head. Also, hainz, remember about the rust marks you told me? the they applied some special glue and rectified it. The mistake with the last head job was that they collocated the wrong way on the bench and used a rectifying rock to rough for the head. I hope im explaining well.

Let me get some pics about it for you to watch it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i may have a set of stock nissan main/crank bearings (if not for an l16 then for a L20)

ill check this weekend for ya

Brian FYI, the L16/L18 five bolt crank mains are 2.1631". When Nissan built the L20B six bolt crank the mains were increased to 2.3599". All six bolt cranks that I have, 2 L20Bs, 2 Z20Es, a Z22 and 2 Z24s are all 2.3599", even many manuals say they reverted back to the earlier 2.1631" size around '79. My '84 720 FSM lists them wrong for the Z24!!!! If you order a six bolt crank bearing it will be correct but most manuals list them the wrong size.

Well boyz..I recently overhauled mi powerplant. Its getting harder to get spare parts, I used to have hastings 2C piston rings but no one sells them anymore. I still have my flat top pistons. I did the work because it started to burn oil and I hate that, the problem was taht on the last overhaul, almost 10 years ago, the mechanic put some cheap piston rings and 3 out of 4 1st ring were broken in half, a complete mess on my head. But please take a look at the coverage. :D

Broken rings are usually caused by not checking the ring end gap with the ring installed in the cylinder. If there isn't enough clearance they will expand and meet when hot. To relieve the pressure they will snap.

I totally agree with you datzenmike. The thing is that the guy that did the work some years ago, didnt even realize about the mark that the piston rings have and that tells you which side is the top.

Im already running the dat and started for 20 minutes and let it cool, tomorrow I will continue.

There you go, the last set of pics.

dsc03948800x600og4.jpg

dsc03951800x600he2.jpg

Working overnight.

dsc03956800x600tb4.jpg

Done! its in

dsc03960800x600eu0.jpg

The first start......but a exhaust leak.

dsc04009800x600pb1.jpg

Time to repair the leak.

dsc04012800x600oh7.jpg

The first start :D

dsc04010800x600ny8.jpg

Im in love!

dsc04015800x600il9.jpg

Done!

Resolving Hainz question and for you all to know, I had to take my head to another shop because the first screwed up when placing it on the bench.

So I took it to my cousin's shop, I guess Ive told you that was a friend of mine, well not, hes family :D

before:

dsc03849um6.jpg

After:

dsc03993800x600fp0.jpg

dsc03994800x600qn5.jpg

He applied a special bond to the corroded surface to leave it completely flat. He also welded on some places where the water holes got bigger and leak risky and of course sandblasted, looks like new.

dsc03990800x600si9.jpg

Amazing job done, now a friend of mine that races autoX will carry a sticker promoting "Reconstructora Wolff 18 Calle". I will show you some pics when the circuit starts.