Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got a package today!Mirrors!These are BMW flag mirrors, often associated with the 2002, but on many others as well. Almost perfect condition, and I got them for a decent deal. I think I might try to mount them tomorrow, but So far I am making tomorrow a busy day...[img=http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m15sJ-rsQk0/UMaPVa9ZMII/AAAAAAAAED8/wwgLJi859Ao/s1000/WP_000222.jpg][img=http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-

iXghjrlXVyY/UMaPVzZZrEI/AAAAAAAAEEE/uhvyt0DJkjM/s1000/WP_000221.jpg][img=http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sz77R-15M0A/UMaPWR0mjwI/AAAAAAAAEEI/B52k7vxoHiw/s1000/WP_000220.jpg]

Nice,I just bought to nos sets for I think a good price.those are nice mirrors. .

Today I got a box. It contained many smaller boxes.

IMG_0033.JPG

What is in all these boxes? Well, it would be my new headlights. This is no plug and play kit (well the electrical is). But it is good quality, and should provide some very high end lighting.

Stuff unboxed.

IMG_0034.JPG

This is the "relay" pack. Really it is a relay, and it also tricks the low beam to stay on with the high beam. Compatible with positive or ground switching headlights.

IMG_0035.JPG

H4/9003/sealed beam connector

IMG_0036.JPG

Battery connection

IMG_0037.JPG

Ballast plug, ground, and solenoid for high beams plug

IMG_0038.JPG

Next up is something Im not quite sure on. These are halos, LED halos, and are quite bright (pics further down). Cant decide if I should run them or not, and if I do, run them as parking or signal lights?

IMG_0039.JPG

Just some butyl rubber to help reseal headlight lenses.

IMG_0040.JPG

50W ballast, ignitor inside, plug is D2S (hid only),

IMG_0041.JPG

Bulb, looks like a normal HID bulb, 50W, 5000k (this should be pure white, no yellow, no blue)

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

And the projector. Projectors just provide good lighting. This is BiXenon (so low and high beam)

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

Solenoid on top to move the shield which turns highbeam on/off

IMG_0046.JPG

And a weather plug for the solenoid wires.

IMG_0047.JPG

All of this was purchased from:

IMG_0048.JPG

This is my camera on auto mode. These things seem pretty bright. Its hard to see the individual LEDs, as you kinda just go blind instead.

IMG_0049.JPG

1/3200"  f8.0

IMG_0050.JPG

• Like 3

Awesome! Good to see someone finally doing this on a 510. I saw the writeup for doing this on some BMW forum. I thought about it, but I've gotta get my housings modded first.. lol. One step at a time.

Can't wait to see these installed!!

Well I need to acquire one more thing before I can call the projectors finished. Though it is like the last piece of the puzzle, and I can assemble everything else. Today was not a work day on these. I went to the junkyard on other business, and got what I was looking for. More on that later as I figure out the game plan.

Jake what did that set you back? Are you retrofitting some Koitos or BMWs?

Well thankfully I ordered this Christmas Eve. They happened to put up a 2.5 day christmas sale (15% off) like 5 hours after I had originally put together my cart. It ended up about three and a quarter, though I could have reduced the price to under three easy.

They are in fact going into the BMW projectors, as there is actually some meat to adapt things to.  I happen to have an extra set of ellipsoids with broken glass, and these are the ones getting the special treatment.

My current setup is going to be pulled out hole, probably with all the wiring I did as well. Anyone wanna buy my HIDs, wiring, and ellipsoids? It will be cheap!

Awesome! Good to see someone finally doing this on a 510. I saw the writeup for doing this on some BMW forum. I thought about it, but I've gotta get my housings modded first.. lol. One step at a time.

Can't wait to see these installed!!

I have been looking at doing this for years. It was just never there. There is a writeup to do this, written by a 510realm member. But he did it for his E34 BMW. I find it funny he also has a 510. I think his name is 5ndime or something like that. He put in TSX low beam projectors. So similar idea, different doing.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?39982-Ultimate-DIY-BMW-E30-E32-amp-E34-TSX-retrofit-thread

As for price, lighting is never cheap. Never. Good LEDs cost a ton (ever looked at the price of a led bar for trucks?), ever looked at the price of a replacement housing for your modern car? When bulbs alone can cost $50 for halogens, you have to pay to play.

Progress of sorts!

Did some work on the headlights, or I guess headlight. There is a bit more trimming needed to bring the projector forward a few more millimeters.

And it already appears to be shorter than the stock projector!

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

And I was cleaning this switch tonight, about 15 years of driving was in there.

IMG_0053.JPG

My car has developed a howling noise from the back, and its a tad intermittent.

It gets louder with speed, but its really not loud, but I assume its going to get worse.

Intermittent in that it seems to only do it every other time I drive my car.

Axle bearings? Or gear fluid?

I really dont want to have to do axle bearings.

Well of course, any of the good auto stores were closed by the time I stood up from the computer, Sundays are the worst for me. Ill pick up some oil tomorrow and change out. Maybe that will do something, im not terribly hopeful.

Anyways, got the second headlight cut. Gotta pick up something to attach them. Im thinking some 3m windshield urethane adhesive. Note, the solenoid that you are seeing actually goes on the bottom.

Also I need to shave down the plastic to fit in the 510 light bucket.

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

Sigh. Besides probably needing to the rear axle bearings, now my front right wheel bearings are making a clunk sound. Maybe the sound is just the front the whole time...

I have had a bad clunking sound whenever I hit a bump or a dip in the road. Jacked up the front of the car, I can hear a clunk from wiggling the wheel.

All other suspension components are tight.

Eh, everything replaced is something that wont need to be replaced for a long time.

And I thought I had sealed my windshield. Passenger floorboard is lots more dry. But I found a new leak, that will be addressed.

Bummer man.  I've been chasing around leaks in my firewall where the seam sealer has gone bad for a few weeks now.  Believe it or not, my windshield seal is actually fine.

Let me know where you end up getting rear wheel bearings for the goon.  I've been browsing around for a project I'm going to do, and I'm finding that those little buggers are expensive!