My visit w/ Steroid [Mike]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mention large boxes of "special parts" unique to Japan, Australia and a couple of other contries and it's a no brainer. Although you say "stock", I have to wonder how many original Datsun/dealer fit acceoriess it will end up with.

Hi Irsa,

Yes, it's going to be RHD. This was a transaction worked up almost 2 years ago. A trade for all RHD parts that I could think of off of a 620 being cut up in Japan. A very nice person that I met while over there. Like I have said, I will only "speculate" for now until all parts are in hand, but mostly everything that I could think of to do a conversion right should be there. The shifter will be a challange. In Japan all 620s are column shift. I don't know about Australia, but the steering column with the complete column shift linkage (from knob to steering box area) should be coming. The challange is going to be how to hook that up to a transmission with "top" (not side) controls. Possibly someone can weld the casing and somehow move the controls to the side. I have no idea if that's even possable. I have never taken apart a transmission. But I have two other thoughts if that won't work.

Hey, by the way, In Australia is it possable to purchase a RHD glovebox door? I would like an extra or two as I have no idea on the hinge condition of the one thats coming. Also, do 620s there have windwings? If so, is there a dealer that can supply new gaskets? I have the parts numbers and drawings. Thanks. Mike

Hi Irsa (part 2)

I am thinking of all stock except possibly for the rims. We'll see. But possibly a Lil' Hustler package with correct striping, handholds and pushbar. I do have a correct pair of fender mirrors that I picked up in Japan so that is set. Depending on the color, I will make a choice on rims. As stock as I can make it to what a truck in Japan came with is My goal. Which really was similar to U.S. trucks. Definately bumperettes. The tiedown hooks will stay. Pretty much like Robert's truck, "Phiz's" truck and the yellow/gold truck that was with Us at Resolutions. I think stock height though. Something like that. Datsuns in Japan had a "flower" looking hubcap. I like the look of those. I don't know if You guys had them too, but I would definately run stock rims with those hubcaps if I can find any. I have a few pictures of those hubcaps that I'll scan later.

Mark,

I believe that is them. Here is another view.

620Japanhubcaps.jpg

I remember them on a few 620s years ago. Maybe they "slipped" to make it over here and were basically Japanese hubcaps. However, they would work very well with what I would like to build. Maybe a set will show up somewhere.

Hey, by the way, In Australia is it possable to purchase a RHD glovebox door? I would like an extra or two as I have no idea on the hinge condition of the one thats coming. Also, do 620s there have windwings?

Mike

hey mike,

i have a few RHD ones laying around... bit i think the hinges are wrecked on them. ill look into it and let you know.

what do you mean by windwings as well??

greiggy

That would be VERY, very cool!! Thank You!! When I scanned those sheets I cut off the number 20 but it is the part (lower windwing channel) that the lock is on. If You see the number 22 part, 20 sticks down through 22 through 26 washers. So those are available readily? Yes, I will pay shipping. Please email Me at steroid620@yahoo.com Thanks again!!

• 4 years later...

Wow ! ! ! It was crazy to find and re-read this thread ! ! Choptana is totally different now, Funtana has had a Pacific Top shell for years, Mark has moved over here, the GT spoiler shell (sitting on My white truck) is on NevTony's truck (who also has moved over here), My red Denver's chopper is in a museum in Kingman, the silver V8 truck is now lowered and becoming another Fontana styled truck, the louvered hood is on My dually which is 70% complete and running, and My magazine collection is out of those boxs and on display in My library. When I think I don't get things accomplished in a day I should go back to this thread. You only have one time to live life and stuff isn't going to get done by itself so each day should be used as a progressive day. I have been blessed to have the health, time and money to get projects done. Also, if not for Ratsun, I would never have met most of You and especially never have had the privledge to help supplying accessories to help You with Your builds. Also SWDP would never have been formed which has turned into much, much more than I could have ever imagined!!! Thank all of YOU ! ! !

PS. HELP ! ! I am STILL looking for two of those "flower" hubcaps for My RHD project.

• 3 months later...

Yes, this place rocks. There are live bands on the weekends and also the jam session (which is why We went) on Sunday afternoons. We also had the company of the Klimas, Robbie and Jennifer. Robbie was in Baja Trucks during the 70s. This was the club that put on the awesome Solidad Breakout runs (4 only, 1975-78) at Acton, California.

datSolidaddashplaques_zps0f0c6fd0.jpg

Robbie went on to form N.A.M.T.O. and organized the mini truck Nationals into the early 80s. I am amazed that They live here now and hang with Us to talk about good times at those runs ! !

Lazy Harry's was called the Sunshine Marina for many years and actually hosted hot boat drags during the 80s. Here is a photo of some in 1986 that I found:

Sunshine_marina_zps3a249e1d.jpg

This is the same cove below My black truck in post #44 where We launch Our Datsun powered Sundance boats today. I have been searching the internet all over to locate photos of those boat races, this is the only photo I have found so far. Timeless ! !

I think boat 818 has just been shoved off of a trailer. That is where the launch ramp is. That might explain it facing west.