Why not to use Lucas in your diff and engine oils.

Jason

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My work has been using Lucas products in Gas/Oil treatments ,,, 1989 Chevy 350 (EFI) has 188,000 HARD ( at least 50% towing ) original miles on it .... lucas oil/gas treatment ,,, still in use ! nuff said

1992 Toyota pickup ( endured dusty enivornments 4 hours a day + constant driving 4-5 hours a day ) 285,000 miles , original engine ,,, lucas oil treatment .... still in use ! ,,,nuff said

1993 Ford F-350 Crew Cab ,,,, 460 Engine + 165,000 original miles ,,, good compression ,,, sold running good ! ,,, nuff said

In the end you choose , but I know this product works , just the application is in question in my mind !

comes down to opinions , experience with , and consensus of understanding :D

• 3 weeks later...

got 260K in my jeep and been using lucas for almost half of that. never had a problem. i saw the "tests" a while back and although it shows what it COULD do, as Z-Train pointed out, those tests were not done in the environment that exists in a motor.

If you look at the pictures the oil while foamy didnt expand much, but it does look as if it was dispersed better. As its goal is to cool and reduce friction wouldn't spreading everywhere be a positive. The real question is not is it foamy but is it heat/friction reduction impacted when it goes from a resting to foamy state.

Also, because some oils are designed to remove particles couldn't there just be a higher volume of detergent. Which again one would think is a good thing...

-Denk

Since those tests were not done at operating temp or under pressure,or subjected to vacuum-they are invalid.

Tests were to replicate a rear end, says so in the words on the page :P And in a rear end there is no pressure or vacuum!

In an engine it may be different ;) Would like to see the results of that experiment!

Then why are rearends(and trannies) vented?

They are vented to prevent pressure or vacuum :unsure:

I think......

^^ Z-Train is right ,,, There has to be a pressure pop-up relief valve/vent( and there is on everything ),,, that or push it out the seal :blink: even the seal itself IDK ? :blink:

And on an Engine, there is a PVC system. Doesn't that keep the innards at a certain pressure/vacuum? :unsure:

And in a rear end there is no pressure or vacuum!

^^^ Ok , I sworry I mis-understood ( and Assumed = Ass-U-Me ) :lol: ,,, I understand your context naow ! ( you were saying there is no pressure since it is already "relieved" from the vents )

And on an Engine, there is a PVC system. Doesn't that keep the innards at a certain pressure/vacuum? :unsure:

^^^ ( that reminds me of the time my brother's PCV valve/system on his Subaru Wagon was clogged for a bit , one day it built up so much pressure in the crankcase/head that it popped out the Cam Seal :blink: ,,, :rolleyes: ,,,, :lol: )

After Research I found that there may be a small ammount of vacuum in the innards of an engine, but only at cruising speed! When your driving it Hard, there is minimal PCV! So it stands to reason that they are valid, doubt it would be alot different at temp. Could be wrong, like I said I would like to see that experiment!

Let's follow some logic:

Since those tests were not done at operating temp or under pressure,or subjected to vacuum-they are invalid.

Tests were to replicate a rear end, says so in the words on the page :P And in a rear end there is no pressure or vacuum!

In an engine it may be different ;) Would like to see the results of that experiment!

He did the engine as well. However, the first test was for transmissions and differentials.

Then why are rearends(and trannies) vented?

^^ Z-Train is right ,,, There has to be a pressure pop-up relief valve/vent( and there is on everything ),,, that or push it out the seal :blink: even the seal itself IDK ? :blink:

Thus, the pressure is minimal. You just confirmed that there is minimal pressure in the transmission (it has a vent) and the differential due to the vents.

Also notice that his apparatus is completely sealed and does not have a vent.

More testing is required in conditions that are truly representative, however, it does raise questions.

Differentials and transmissions on Datsuns are capable of lasting for hundreds of thousands of miles. The biggest cause of failure is abuse and neglect. I guess neglect is another form of abuse too. Who changes their tranny/diff oil on schedule? Right, no one. Who checks their oil levels when doing a tune up? Again, not too many.

Change with the correct GL gear oil on schedule and you won't need to add any snake oil.

We have used some of the Lucas products in engines, I cannot vouch for its use in gear oil. It does well at what it claims to do...for what we use it for anyway.

We use it as a last resort(mostly on Isuzu's) on cars with too much mileage and not enough maintenance to combat some of the extreme wear in the valvetrain and cylinder walls.

I wouldn't use it in any of my newer cars, but if I had some old worn out POS that I needed to make last another 20k miles and stop making noise and blowing smoke, it does that.

Keep in mind, most additives are what mike said they are, snake oil. Wonder products promising a cure all or performance advantage often are nothing more than a bottle of empty promises... and most of them cause as much harm as they do benefit.

Aside from using a good Redline or Amsoil yellow metal safe synthetic transmission fluid and a high quality diff oil, you don't need much else to make these cars last...its a Japanese car...not an old Korean or German product.