Stereo Systems?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just never understood the hype over a head unit I never installed a deck that made a lick of difference in the sound of a system. Other than some with built in eq stuff but really does anyone care I always played with the settings on my amps then my head unit.

Some people are a lot more interested in sound quality than others, that's all. I use my Alpine to run 3 amps off their own discrete channels (L/R high, L/R mid-range, L/R muxed low-range). This gives me the ability to set all the crossover points & slopes pretty much anywhere/how I like from the HU, lets me adjust the gain for every individual driver at the amps as well as attenuating each set (L/R) of drivers from the HU, and lets me do time alignment/delay on every individual driver from the HU. All of that could be done with external processors, but it's much more handy at the HU while you're sitting in your normal listening position. You could maybe not care less, but cars are not ideal stereo listening environments and some people do care about tuning to make them as good as possible :)
  • Like 1

Some people are a lot more interested in sound quality than others, that's all. I use my Alpine to run 3 amps off their own discrete channels (L/R high, L/R mid-range, L/R muxed low-range). This gives me the ability to set all the crossover points & slopes pretty much anywhere/how I like from the HU, lets me adjust the gain for every individual driver at the amps as well as attenuating each set (L/R) of drivers from the HU, and lets me do time alignment/delay on every individual driver from the HU. All of that could be done with external processors, but it's much more handy at the HU while you're sitting in your normal listening position. You could maybe not care less, but cars are not ideal stereo listening environments and some people do care about tuning to make them as good as possible :)

Well said Sir but, lets face it guys putting stereo's in datsuns (this is a datsun forum last time I checked are not quiet cars, the wind practically blows through every orfice in the thing. So sound quailty no matter what you do, be all that great, And why put a headunit in a car thats cost more than the car half the time? also you can technically steal with a coat hanger and a screw driver. To each his own though I like the sound of a good system but never got why people got so exited over head units in the upper triple digit range.

Well said Sir but, lets face it guys putting stereo's in datsuns (this is a datsun forum last time I checked are not quiet cars, the wind practically blows through every orfice in the thing. So sound quailty no matter what you do, be all that great, And why put a headunit in a car thats cost more than the car half the time? also you can technically steal with a coat hanger and a screw driver. To each his own though I like the sound of a good system but never got why people got so exited over head units in the upper triple digit range.

you talk like you dont really love your datsun...

angry_wet_cat.jpg

I am guesing you didnt come to Canby this year, nor sat in my truck.And yes my front speakers allone cost more than the truck originally did, but I have had the same set for about 5 years and they play perfectly. The truck is loud, but the sound system is much louder, and my cab is sound proofed. It all depends on how serious you are about your sound quaility. If you want a quiet ride, it can be done. If you want a loud roar of the motor, can do. but you can have both if you work for it. As far as cost of stereo versus cost of vehicle,thats easy, my stereo has jumped from car to car to truck. The stereo does not have to stay with the car.And a good 2 way alarm wired right will protect you investment.

I was at canby so was my wagon that I have put tons of money into sound deadning etc but it will not be "new car quiet" but either way I'm really not starting a argument just stating my opinion. I bought a set of MB quart components for my doors in my wagon they were kinda spendy too. I plan to convert my rear quarter panels into enclosers for a set of 8" speaker with crossovers and tweeters

I was at canby so was my wagon that I have put tons of money into sound deadning etc but it will not be "new car quiet" but either way I'm really not starting a argument just stating my opinion. I bought a set of MB quart components for my doors in my wagon they were kinda spendy too. I plan to convert my rear quarter panels into enclosers for a set of 8" speaker with crossovers and tweeters

No argument intended, but thanks for your veiws, it helps address common questions the readers of the forum would have asked later anyway. This is Ratsun, where some really wild shit happens to some of the best rides around! Out of all of the rides I have owned, my datto will always be my favorite. And to the OP, feel free to pm me or the others for info, we are here to help.

I like a decent system, have Alpine in the hardbody, still with shitty factory speakers because I'm planning motor rebuilds, even though I have some nice 6s sitting on the workbench. Either way, after a certain speed, the stereo just gets turned off anyway. I usually have the window down.

• Like 1

I like a decent system, have Alpine in the hardbody, still with shitty factory speakers because I'm planning motor rebuilds, even though I have some nice 6s sitting on the workbench. Either way, after a certain speed, the stereo just gets turned off anyway. I usually have the window down.

That's what I do to ! Function first , then the rest later :D