what do you guys think?

oceankai

hey all,

new the forums and new to datsun but been wanting to pick one up for a while.

thinking of picking up this 71 goon, planning to check it out today.

mileage is unknown because it has an L20b swap, originally was a L16. running on 45 dual webers, headers, msd ignition and a few other things. im pretty sure it has been repainted recently be previous owner.

needs some body work, which is understandable for a 40 year old car.

freezeplugs need to be replaced, small oilpan leak.

photo.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12820322020001

is the l20b a good engine?

i know the normal signs to look for, and the guy is only asking 2800 obo. was thinking of offering a little less if everything checked out okay.

think this is a good deal?

any feedback or things to look for or stay away from would be greatly appreciated!

--kai

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From 'The 510 Realm' and 'The Dime Quarterly' but still good info. If you know little about the 510 read twice while naked.

Things to Consider and Look for when BUYING a 510

Suggestions for New 510 Owners

Now make a copy and go over and really LOOK at it. If you are going to offer less than the asking you should know where to find the faults.

Find out what transmission is in it. A 5 speed would be a plus. Does it have stock brakes and suspension? A 280zx front strut swap with larger brakes would be a plus. Does the L20B have a matchbox Electronic pointless Ignition distributor? Does it have the stock alternator with external regulator or a newer one with solid state internal regulator? All the above would be good to have for the $2,800 asking price. Leaking oil pan and frost plugs are a minus.

Nice find! Where has this guy been hiding this wagon? I've never seen pics of it. Welcome to the forum. Cheeeeehooo! I get one more braddah to hang out with when I finally move back home.

-B

so i checked it out, the guy has a sick coupe 510 btw.

anyway i got mixed feelings. definitely cool looking and definitely needs some work.

the carburetors are too large for the engine, so its putting in more fuel, seems to make it run a little quirky. the guy says he has the stock ones which would probably make the car run better.

the carpet and headliner(i think) are both sitting in the trunk, no ac no stereo guts i dont think think. interior is pretty nice though. the guy said the work he did was real quick and could use a redo. but hey, its a 40 year old datsun, i knew it would need some work.

the l20b engine is from a 76 datsun 620 pickup.

seems that it is going to be pretty sluggish going up hills which is something i do everyday, since i have to drive over a mountain to get to the other side of the island.

i think i may pick it up though. i just gotta see if realistically i will have time to work on it with full time job and full time school.

oh and here is a rear pick that i forgot to post earlier:

web.jpg?ver=12825411600001

anyway i got mixed feelings. definitely cool looking and definitely needs some work.

the carburetors are too large for the engine,

seems that it is going to be pretty sluggish going up hills

if you can tune it up, it looks pretty solid for an old island car

price seems fair, i mean how many other are over there???

if the carbs are too large and its still sluggish, it could be simple... like clogged fuel lines.

Hey Brotha! I was just there in Oahu last week, spend a lot of time at Sandy beach. If you can get it for $2300 or $2500 that will be a good deal. I have seen crappy wagon that sells for $3000, then again how many 510 wagon do you see in Oahu or anywhere else. Its fun to drive a 510 and people gives you the thumbs up that is rarely seen. Good Luck!

Whats wrong with a truck motor? :P I have a L16 from a truck in my goon and it has no problems with hills. A L20 should be fine I would think. As for the stereo, I think they came with a am radio with a solo speaker in the dash? mine has a deck with no speakers at all. And as for AC, I have only seen a handful of 510s with them. If you like 510s I would say get it, if you are meh about it and dont feel like it is worth your time and effort then it may not be.

lol well behind the back seats, i guess thats the trunk right?

i think this may actually not be the right time to buy it. i think my eyes were wanting me to get it but i dont have time to work on it right now. full time work, full time school. no time for the car really.

i will definitely let you guys know what i decide.