KA24DE update and photos

Datsun Parts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that LZ2.3L motor that you had in your 620. When it was in what was your horsepower? I've noticed that big block you had on Ebay and man thats so bad. I'm talking about that stroker motor. I just can't imagine a ka motor in the 620. Hell man I'm 49 and I can tell you that kind of power in this truck scares the hell out of me. I've been wanting to talk about doing a motor for me see what kingd of $ were talking about. I'll PM you Thanks Lance

• 3 months later...

The shop that is doing my install called me about a month ago and said it was ready to fire up. So after a few ECU adjustments we got it to start and idle long enough to break it in. The problem was the rebuilt transmission had a bad center bearing and was whining bad. That created another major problem because the engine and trans have to be installed together to clear the tunnel. So that meant out comes the engine again. This time mods were made to the frame so I could R&R the trans in the future without this problem. We also noticed that the custom adapted 300zx radiator was leaking a bit. Seems my great idea of having the polish shop smooth out the welds meant they went way too thin in about 90% of it so it had to be rewelded all over again. Now after 5 times of rewelding it seems the aluminum is too thin to hold up to the heat and it continues to leak. The shop is about ready to push my truck on the street and it seems like I may wind up with complete new radiator by the end of all this. Its been a year now and I am ready to finish this project already!

This photo shows it before I polished it. Notice the first of 2 "C" notches to clear the inner cooler piping.

78e47879.jpg

Here is a better look of what its like today.

97f52dba.jpg

Well got the radiator issue handled. However the trans still screams at idle. I replaced ever part too but I guess its in the gears or something. What fun would it be if it was driveable anyway....then I would just have to find something else to fix. Maybe by the new year it will be ready....just what year?

Got it driving for the first time today. Only enough to drive it on a trailer and ship it off to the transmission shop. Seems all the trouble was due to a throw our bearing collar being about 1/8" too long. I must have grabed a Z car one instead of a KA one. Oh well I will get fixed after Xmas. Then it goes to the dyno for fine tuning and finally on the road! I posted a short video on youtube under 620 Datsun Turbo

bearing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to get the truck to the dyno today (www.bisimoto.com). This is a sweet direct drive machine that is very accurate to the wheels figures. Its now drivable and sounds great.

We maxed out my fuel pump capacity so I need to upgrade to a Walbro. I am limited a bit with my L20B exhaust too. However it still put out 239 pounds of torque and 228 HP at only 13 pounds of boost and 6000 RPM. With a few more tweaks I will hit my 300+ HP goal.

A special thanks to Juan and Jose at www.rratedmotorsports.com who built and modified every part of this engine.

Here is the link to a short youtube video.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Finally got the 620 home this weekend after over a year at the shop. It will still need to return for a few more finishing touches but its completely legal, drives and shifts great and pins you back in the seat. I need to learn how to drive a turbo powered truck as that loud blow off valve and my lead foot made for a fun drive last night.

I am sharing a few photos of a cool upgrade the team and R Rated Motorsports in Ontario wired up for me. It a Genuine Nissan push button start. Works off a remote and brake petal for safety and security. Looks great, lights up with the door PIN switch and at night, fully functional with ACC position, and gives the truck a more modern feel.

button.jpgbuttonlight.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Damn-

I reorganized my photobucket account and now my photos here are all missing...sorry. Anyway, after getting to drive my truck for a short week to break it in back to the shop it went for a few adjustments. Well that turned into another big project for the Team at R Rated Motorsports in Ontario. If you have a decent budget, a little time and want it done right these guys do excellent work!

I can not let out all the secrets just yet but I was told these new changes should get me up to 350 HP +. This should all be completed by this weekend.

700+whp has been made on a stock throttle body with a KA turbo application. <BR><BR>I'm curious to know what coils you're running, they look smaller then the common LS coils. it would be cool to see all those pictures again, being new here and all.

The 620 is new and improved! Last week seen a new high capacity Walbro fuel pump and filtration system installed. Today the awesome team at R Rated Motorsports in Ontario started the 3" mandral bent stealth exhaust. That meant DEATH to the torsion bars and hello COIL-OVERS! They are also installing a new ECU system and water meth injection....more details on that set up in the coming weeks!

Another dyno scheduled for this week looking for 325+ HP.

That is also my Z that I am building in the last photo.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg