Thehieb's 1958 project

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man I know that feeling! Congrats!!! Looks like your flywheel is in good shape too! Mine looked good from the front side, it was the rear, where the gear pulls into it, that was mangled.

I will try to get out there and take a pic of what those things are, but I'd guess they are for your bumper mounts?

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I have done anything with the car but something happened recently and I can't stop taking it apart. So far I have all but the triangle glass in the right doors out. Took the hood off and now trying to get the right fender off because thats the one with most of the damage. I want to tear down the car to the frame and see what I'm working with. I would like to swap the drums for disks if at all posible. Then I'm going to get the body media blasted so I can see exactly what nees to be fixed on the body.

I done trying to get the motor running so now I'm looking for an L18.

I'll post some pictures later tonight if you guys wan't to see the iner workings of the door.

It's been a while since I have done anything with the car but something happened recently and I can't stop taking it apart. So far I have all but the triangle glass in the right doors out. Took the hood off and now trying to get the right fender off because thats the one with most of the damage. I want to tear down the car to the frame and see what I'm working with. I would like to swap the drums for disks if at all posible. Then I'm going to get the body media blasted so I can see exactly what nees to be fixed on the body.

I done trying to get the motor running so now I'm looking for an L18.

I'll post some pictures later tonight if you guys wan't to see the iner workings of the door.

HA mine is in a state of hibernation and neglect too! Nice that you are starting up on yours. Mikeklotz should be able to hook you up with a disc upgrade.

I'm pretty sure the L18 will fit. In Fischer's thread they were saying that all that needs to be done is bending the firewall a bit and it would be easy to do because of the way it's bolted on. No cutting needed.

As far as getting it on the road I'm a long way from that. The windshield alone is going to be a big ordeal. Right now it's just one bolt at a time :)

I'm pretty sure the L18 will fit. In Fischer's thread they were saying that all that needs to be done is bending the firewall a bit and it would be easy to do because of the way it's bolted on. No cutting needed.

As far as getting it on the road I'm a long way from that. The windshield alone is going to be a big ordeal. Right now it's just one bolt at a time :)

Just have "Kotto Auto Glass" cut a windshield for you, talk to Eddy. (800)810-4933

He cut the 320 windshieds for us.

Wayno do you know if the 320 has the same front end as my car because I've seen more of those for sale/parted out on Craigslist in my area and since I could use a lot of front end pieces I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to just transplant the parts from a truck as opposed to getting a windshield made and "fixing" my mangled front end.

What did you pay for your windshield?

there is a guy on here that has an L18 in an nl320, the bay size must be roughly the same right? looked pretty nice but i dont think he did the swap himself. im drawing a blank on his member name maybe someone else remembers

So there are 2 trucks for sale about an hour or so away from me. I think they are 222 and a 223. I probably sound like a broken record but does anyone know if the fenders/front clip/windshield are the same as my car? Looks very similar.

The thing is, no one really knows! Our 1000's are so damn rare no one has confirmed a direct swap for the windshield. They look just about right though. Worth the risk I'd say if they are local and affordable.

When I try it I think I will try to cut down a suzuki swift windshield. The curve is just about right. It is along process of sandblasting away the area you don't want, but the windshields are plentiful.

The thing is, no one really knows! Our 1000's are so damn rare no one has confirmed a direct swap for the windshield. They look just about right though. Worth the risk I'd say if they are local and affordable.

When I try it I think I will try to cut down a suzuki swift windshield. The curve is just about right. It is along process of sandblasting away the area you don't want, but the windshields are plentiful.

Still debating on driving all the way out to look at the fenders and windshield. It's like an hour and a half away. I asked the guy if he would part it out but he said no. I might take some pictures of my fender and send to him and tell him if its a match I'll buy the truck. Then put my busted fenders on the truck and try to sell it like that.

Anyways I took out the windshield and back window and took off the trunk. Just a few more things before the body comes off.

IMG_2946.jpg

Also picked up an orbital sander :D

I started using my orbital sander and this being my first try at this kind of stuff I decided to start with the really bad fender. I read online that you want to use 320 grit so i bought 220 but that didn't seem to work to well so I used the 90 grit pad that came with the sander and that got the job done. I found a ton of bondo, but my biggest worry is that I'm going to do damage to the metal. If anyone has any experience and pointers that would be sweet. Reading Scotts thread on his 510 makes me really want to try and hammer this thing out myself but I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing it right and since this car is so rare I might just end up taking it somewhere to get it done professionally.

Here is a shot of the fender.

IMG_2950.jpg