720 gallery

irsa76

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
It's too hard to find 620's down south, so I have to make do with 720's. This is my 81 KC I traded off for a 510:

IM001415.jpg

Wait a min, is that a turbo dodge omni next to that truck? If thats yours you should do a write up in the Non Datsun Cars and Projects section. I'd love to hear more about that beast. :D

Wait a min, is that a turbo dodge omni next to that truck? If thats yours you should do a write up in the Non Datsun Cars and Projects section. I'd love to hear more about that beast. :D

Yeah, that's an 85 GLH. I sold that one too. :( That, the 510, and my 620 kingcab are the cars I most regret getting rid of.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
you know i always hate on these things, not real datsuns IMHO....but these look freekin' SWEET!!!

The 720 is more Datsun than Nissan. First year 720 had the L20B engine and was called a Datsun with raised letters on tailgate. Even in '81 it was still called a Datsun on the grill and fender badges. The 720's Z series motor is directly descended from the L series before it, and shares almost everything but the head. The change to Nissan was spread over at least the next two years, I think the '83 had Nissan stamped in tailgate with a much smaller Datsun decal below it. This is the fender badge from an '82 or '83 I believe:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/DSC01181Large.jpg[/img]"]DSC01181Large.jpg

'84 was the first full year as a complete Nissan. The Datsun/Nissan 720 was the last 3 number truck like the 620/521/520 and so on down, before the switch too the D-21 and D-22 naming system. Both the 620 and 720 never had a V6 option and were only available with 4 cylinders. The D-21 Hardbody was the first truly full blooded Nissan truck made.

Maybe you really think it doesn't 'look' like a Datsun and I agree that the 620 stylin' is definitely the best. But in all fairness the 720 is still a Datsun.

do you hate on patrols too dwn? :-P

I don't like how the name change divides fans on certain things, its really prevalent with z's in my area. This is ratSUN though so.....

Even the 720's that rock the nissan badge are datsun imo, just a victim of the change over. I think it just seems so nissan because of the 80s styling.

That stepside is HOT, any more pics or info regarding that one?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...