Z-71's on 521

haubstr

I want to put on my Z-71's w/205-40's on my truck but the tires hit the leaf springs... The rims are already machined out to 4"... I figure I need spacers to get them to not rub, but how much spacer? If I put 1/4" spacers on can I still run the stock studs?

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule of thumb from my 15 years in the tire business was that you need to be threaded on at least as far as the stud is round. So a 12mm datsun stud needs to have a lugnut threaded on AT LEAST 12mm. I personally always prefered more thread engagement than that.

I never understood why it is even a question as to whether or not you need longer wheel studs!

If you have to ask, Just get the longer studs and be done with it. Sorry to be a DICK. But this is one of the overlooked safety things of a vehicle. Lugnut torque is overlooked also.

Jason

I asked the question because I wanted to find out if others had come across the same problem or if maybe I had done something wrong... I hadn't even tried to put a lug nut on it yet because the spacers won't be here until Monday(hopefully)... I was trying to use some advance thinking and see if I can do something else in the meantime... like getting longer wheel studs...

Cool, Reread my post and I suppose I kinda sond like a DICK about it, But this question has been answered so many times and then people still try to get by WITHOUT listening to the advise.

Sorry, no offense was intended to you. Sounds like you are planning it and Want it to be safe.

Let's see pics when you get the wheels installed.

Jason

maybe on a grade 8 bolt the 3 threads is what it takes to be able to achieve it's rated holding, but that's almost insane on a lugnut.....especially on aluminum wheels that expand and contract with heat. Anyway.....new lug bolts is money well spent!! :)

A good rule to go by is to have atleast as many threads as the thickness of the stud. Like you'd want atleast 1/2" of thread in the lugnut for a 1/2" stud, in other words.

Sandwich spacers arent exactly the safest way to go anyway, expecially the cheaper ones. They can be machined unevenly, so the spacer would have like high and low spots, which could lead to a wobble or losing your wheel :(.

If you need to run them though, I'd run some quality spacers (which are still kinda cheap) like Gorilla or h&r if they still make the ones that dont bolt on.